Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Ohio Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2006, 08:18 PM
New User

Pikeboy98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
'88 Ford F250 - 302 Smoking

My 302 in my truck just started smoking. It is smoking out the tailpipes. This has to be bad. I had it checked out and the mechanic said that cylinder #7 has low to no compression in it and the new plugs in it is all fouled up already.

Is there any saving this engine?? Can I do a cheap rebuild to keep it running or is it in need of an overhaul??

My brother has a 302 from a wrecked '88 Mustang. It is the same year as my truck, so I figure this could be a fairly easy swap. Any leads, ideas, sources or other posts that I could review??
Old 11-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Post Fiend

F2504x4 has much to be proud ofF2504x4 has much to be proud ofF2504x4 has much to be proud ofF2504x4 has much to be proud ofF2504x4 has much to be proud ofF2504x4 has much to be proud ofF2504x4 has much to be proud ofF2504x4 has much to be proud ofF2504x4 has much to be proud of
Hi and welcome to the ohio chapter,

From what I know of the 302's the truck motors are differant , cam, timing etc, oh yea pollution control set-up's. you would do better getting another engine out of a same year truck for a straight forward swap IMO
not saying the car engine would not work but that there are differances.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:10 AM
Senior User

d79f150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes you can do that swap... Just use the cam & intake from your truck. Or better yet buy a "truck" cam for the stang block that way you can keep your torque #'s up where they should be.

IF you don't change the cam the truck won't seem to have any take off power because a mustang is a whole lot lighter than a stang. The block & the heads are the same though.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:07 AM
New User

Pikeboy98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks!!! That is good information. I am not sure what I want to do with the truck. PArt of me says to buy a rebuilt engine with a warranty and keep the truck for awhile. Part of me says make it run while I build my house next year and then just get rid of it. The first part is the kid in me wanting a 4x4 to play with forever and the 2nd is the finance part of me talking $$$.

Any other words of wisdom are welcome. Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:07 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Ohio Chapter

Tags
2005, 250, 302, 88, 88fordtruck3o2, bad, f150, f250, ford, ideas, mustang, proud, smokes, smoking, truck