1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed doesn't line up with cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:40 PM
gold digger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, I just bought a 2007 extended cab, long box. Havent seen any problems with the paint, but the box doesnt line up with the cab on the passenger side. It is 3/4 of an inch taller on the passenger side, according to the back window trim...My dealer here in Montana says all the trucks are like that lately, and we just have to live with it !! If you or anyone else knows what can be done about this, I would appreciate any info...

Old 11-07-2006, 03:44 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year truck?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:47 PM
ducknfish
New User
check your paint?

LIVE WITH IT? thats total B.S.40,000 and thats the best they can come up with?this might be my last ford.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Flipper_1938
Freshman User
The exploding transmission thing (at 65,000 miles) made this my last ford.

I'm gonna keep it until it is offically dead though

Old 11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Geneoh
Senior User
Yeah thats it, go buy a GM or a Dodge thier perfect and last forever.
Remember the dealer didnt build the truck nor do most of them really seem to care much?

gold digger, it's ok to look under your truck, thats the 1st thing I would do
as in looking for missing shims...bushings?

BTW I have a 07 EXcab and the bed and cab fit fine.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:21 PM
hobohilton
Fleet Mechanic
Received 189 Likes on 144 Posts
I would suspect this is shipping damage. I doubt it would have gotten past QC at the factory. Look at the frame where it was tied down in shipping. Park it on a very level slab and measure the frame to ground on both shides and compare. Good Luck.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is going to come across harsh, but I don't mean it that way.

It's very common. The bed mounts allow for a little movement to square everything (so does almost every other piece on the truck). When a truck is built it's not hand built like a $300k exotic. You should look underneath and make sure everything looks ok. If it's a real issue for you, you can loosen the bed mounts (torx heads through the bed) and try to move it around a little. My Jeep had a fender that stuck out at the driver side rear. My 2005 F250 door is just a little out at the top rear. It does not mean your truck was involved in any accident or damaged in any way, it's just part of the assembly process. You might also check to make sure the same spring is under both sides of the rear (see if there is a part number on the leaf springs and that they match, left and right may have different part numbers).

I work in auto insurance, and see this daily, and I can probably walk up to 95% of the cars (probably higher than 95% of domestics) and show you what doesn't line up. I, and others I work with, make a game of it (seriously). Whenever one of us buys a new car we play, "hey did you notice this" on your "new" car.

I realize everyone wants their new car to be perfect, but none of them are. If the dealership where you bought the truck has a body shop, ask them to realign your bed. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so. Also, just so everyone knows, your "new" car probably has body filler (bondo) on it too

Last edited by Ace!; 11-16-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hobohilton
I would suspect this is shipping damage. I doubt it would have gotten past QC at the factory. Look at the frame where it was tied down in shipping. Park it on a very level slab and measure the frame to ground on both shides and compare. Good Luck.
What if both tires don't have exactly the same pressure in them

Old 11-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Geneoh
Senior User
Also, just so everyone knows, your "new" car probably has body filler (bondo) on it too [/QUOTE]

I work at a Ford Assy Plant...paint repairman... there is no bondo in anything we build!
Nor will you find air-dry paint on the ext of anything we build!
Maybe 1 in 5000 may end up with a very small amount of soder, no longer use lead.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Customz
Postmaster
I've noticed the same thing but I think my frame is bent in half.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
I work at a Ford Assy Plant...paint repairman... there is no bondo in anything we build!
Nor will you find air-dry paint on the ext of anything we build!
Maybe 1 in 5000 may end up with a very small amount of soder, no longer use lead.
They must ship 'em all to Southern Oregon. I've found filler on new cars, a lot more often than 1 in 5000.

Keep churning out the good stuff!

Customz, your problems probably stem from trying to run a 35" tire on a stock truck, ain't gonna happen

Old 11-16-2006, 10:19 PM
cabinetmaker00
Senior User
my 06 cc has the same problem the bed is not alighned with the cab and the bed is aprox
1/2 in smaller in width then the cab so my pass side bed and cab are flush and the driver side isn't,and the dealer diddn't have a clue on how to fix the problem . after looking over all there trucks on the lot they all had the bed shifted over to the pass side .
this is one of the more common problems with these trucks getting past a lousy Q C and the customer has to suffer while there truck sits all week at the lot .

Old 11-16-2006, 10:30 PM
AerostarTrailHiker
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My bed is shifted to the left approx 3/4 inch but that has been the only problem. If that is all I ever face, who cares!

It is odd that something as simple to adjust as bed alignment is where there is a problem.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:44 PM
skytow
New User
Shims between the bed and the frame rails will correct this problem. It is easy to do and the dealership body shop should have no problem handling it. They will have to realign the tail gate a smidge to make sure everything stays square, but in the end you should end up with the bed and the cab lining up nicely.

Steel Breeze Racing.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:27 AM
CyberJay
Senior User
A guy I used to work with had this exact problem on his '05 CC SB KR... Dealer tried to play it off.. he said brand new $45,000 truck? FIX IT... and what do you know, they did! One of his grab handles also came without the leather, but the other three had it. So much for QC. Everyone has bad days though, the dealer fixed all the problems and I'd take his truck in a second.

-Jay

Quick Reply: Bed doesn't line up with cab