1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Weak batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:28 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weak batteries?

The last week or so I have noticed the voltmeter on my truck is getting lower and lower when I first start it up. It is now at the lower line of "normal" when the gps are on, and it cranks weak but still starts. The batteries are about 1.5 years old motorcrafts and seem to be leaking from the top. My originals lasted about 5 years whats going on? I called up the dealership to have them load test the batteries to see if I could get free warranty replacements but now they want to "inspect" the entire electrical system . Do you think it is just weak batteries?

Old 11-06-2006, 05:40 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my 97 I had 2 motorcraft go bad in just 9 months. I got new ones under warranty and now are fine, but they are only about 6 weeks old. Time will tell. I had 2 Dekas go bad in my 90 in about a year. I also had a Deka go bad in my Expedition in about 2 years. But other people have great luck with both Deka and motorcraft. Just the luck of the draw I guess. The charging systems are fine in all the trucks.

Do you know you are charging ok? Let them test it. If there is something wrong you want to know about it.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:49 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Ya Im gonna let them test it because it is still the original alt. with 240,000 miles . The only thing that gets me is them leaking. If I had the money and these were out of warranty I would go with optimas.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:22 PM
SavageVertigo
Junior User
i have only had that happen from too much bouncing around, inverted position(dont ask lol) and over chanrging and they got boiled. you could test with a multi meter to see what your alt is putting out running and test the standing voltage not running, but could just be that your alt over charged them. they will let you know what went on when they test it forsure though

Old 11-06-2006, 08:53 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
I'll let you guys know what they come up with on wed.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Weak Batteries

Thought I'd toss in my two cents.

I've had Motorcrafts in my '97 for four years, and they were there when I bought my truck in 2002. As far as I know, those batteries were there for AT LEAST four years.

We joined Costco awhile back. The Optima batteries had a max of 800 CCA. Believe it or not, the Kirkland (Costco) batteries have 950 CCA. I was skeptical, but went with the Kirklands.

Startup is much quicker and the engine turns over very smoothly. If you or your friends are Costco members, it wouldn't hurt to check them out.

I've had the Kirkland's since the beginning of October and am very happy with their performance.

BTW...the batteries cost around $57 plus a $5 core charge. I returned the old Motorcrafts and received two, $5 bills.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:16 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Took it in today and the dealership didnt come up with anything. They load tested both batteries and they were both around 700 (I'm assuming cca). Checked the alt output and it was fine.

This morning when I turned on the key for the gps the voltmeter was just a hair above the lower normal line, let the gps stay on for about 30 seconds and started it. The volt meter went all they way to 8 and sounds very weak, it starts up after about 2-3 turns of the starter. I'm going to check the battery fluid level and look around for rubbing wires. If you guys have any input let me know.

Just checked water in batteries and both were 1-2 cups low. filled them up and cleaned both post connections on each battery, then turned the key on to see where the voltmeter is, and now it stays at the "N" in normal and wont drop in the red zone when I start it. I guess I need to "KISS" (keep it simple stupid) more often. Thanks for everyone input

Last edited by ForemanES; 11-08-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:56 PM
SavageVertigo
Junior User
one would think that the dealership would have checked the level int he batteries before doing a load test... good to hear that your back in business

Old 11-08-2006, 08:59 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up Weak Batteries

I'm things worked out for the better for you.

With these rigs, cheap fixes are always great.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:25 AM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Thanks, the adviser that was telling me everything said it sounded like a diesel issue, and it probally needs new glow plugs. I just agreed and took my keys

Old 11-09-2006, 12:47 AM
SavageVertigo
Junior User
i have to wonder why your batteries were so low?? gotta be a reason for it. i cant see that much evaporation over a 1.5 years not with out some help
i.e. over charging, severe angles or something.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:05 AM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
I have to say this was the first time I ever opened them up. They might not have been full to begin with. But then again there was stains on top of them from evaporated water, I dont know for sure.