Dead 1997 4.2!?!?!?

Old 11-05-2006, 08:15 PM
nutts5
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead 1997 4.2!?!?!?

A friend of mine has a 97 150 with a 4.2. He said it was running rough for a couple weeks and then this past week when he was driving it, the truck started knocking and making all kinds of noises. Now it barely runs. His mechanic says the motor is done. Can anyone point me in the direction of any helpful forums? Also, what would be better, to buy a new engine or rebuild the present one? If rebuild, does anyone know of a quality rebuild kit for this motor. He is hesitant to get a used motor cause the same thing could happen again.
Thanks for the help!

Old 11-07-2006, 01:35 AM
wi_bear
New User
Look on EBAY, there are a couple of rebuilders that do some good work. They look good anyway.

I just went and got a new Truck.

If you only use the 4.2 for light driving (car like) it's good, but it will struggle if you match it to a trailer.

Mine was a '97 and did good till it had to do some real work. Went through one original engine and then a Ford rebuilt. I don't want to offend anyone with the 4.2 now but it really is less than it claims.

Last edited by wi_bear; 11-07-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:48 AM
metalman07
New User
Post 4.2

Originally Posted by nutts5
A friend of mine has a 97 150 with a 4.2. He said it was running rough for a couple weeks and then this past week when he was driving it, the truck started knocking and making all kinds of noises. Now it barely runs. His mechanic says the motor is done. Can anyone point me in the direction of any helpful forums? Also, what would be better, to buy a new engine or rebuild the present one? If rebuild, does anyone know of a quality rebuild kit for this motor. He is hesitant to get a used motor cause the same thing could happen again.
Thanks for the help!
Go get yourself a new truck! Rebuilt engines are risky - I know 'cause this week I put two in the same truck. If you go the with another 4.2L, get it brand spankin' new from Ford. Upgrade if you want. My opinion only and not to offend anyone who loves the 4.2L - 351W, where have you gone?!

Search this Thread