Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Senior User

Spectre 023 is starting off with a positive reputation.
best exhaust option for my 5.4

hey guys. ive got an f250 5.4 sd.

im planning on doing some exhaust work, but i want to know what will get me the best results.

those cast headers look really restrictive, as does the passenger side pipe where it merges before the cat.

anyone have any suggestions/results to offer?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:34 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
I manifolds are actually not too bad.
Your biggest restriction is in the Y-pipe. Read here for more info on that http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/53...n-a-5-4-a.html

I've always had good luck With Flowmaster myself.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 11-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Senior User

flowmaster exhaust system or flowmaster y pipe?

anyone know where i can get a good y pipe..ive been looking, but cant seem to find one
Old 11-06-2006, 03:18 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
There is a guy on ebay that sells them I think. Flowmaster cat-back system.
Pehaps you can contact this ebay seller about a y-pipe http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04...32711240QQrdZ1

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 11-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Senior User

will teh truck still pass inspection though?

i need to drive the truck on a daily basis...
Old 11-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Post Fiend

lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.
As long as you don't remove the cats you will pass inspection. Cat back systems are 50 state legal.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Senior User

oh, ok cool

also, the y pipe in that link claims to give 33 hp...which i dont nesessarily believe, but aside from that, does anyone know where in rpm range that is? i want to keep my low end torque, not sacrifice it for high end power...
Old 11-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Postmaster

kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.
The 'y' pipe may give you 33 hp, but at 4500 rpm... a fact that doesn't always come to light. You are wise not to give in on a claim.

Here's the deal: Torque is a product of flow velocity, so the smaller the tube the faster the flow, to a point. However, horse power is reliant on the flow volume, so the bigger the tube the more horse power, to an extent. This means both sides of, and includes, the cylinder head.

The factory pipe is necked down to around 2 1/4". This would throw up a flag, right? You'd lose that diameter by going with this after market pipe, right? Not necessarily, the factory cats also proved an internal 2 1/4" diameter. You're keeping those to pass inspection. This will help you keep the velocity necessary to keep your torque down low. Adding the new 'y' will do nothing for that, but should allow for a higher flow at higher rpms... giving you hp, but most likely at 4500 rpm.

Without replacing both the intake side, heads, exhaust, and a doing a reprogram, you might be hard pressed to see or feel a performance gain. People claim one thing, but without the dyno tests to prove it... I'll rely on engineering and physics.

-Kerry
Old 11-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Senior User

so in other words....your saying that its not worth it?
i want the most out of my truck for a modest price.
the truck was my father's before mine.
im 18, so its obvious that i dont have a lot of money.

im looking at a gibson swept side cat back exhaust, which show the best gains and sound characteristics for me.

here is a picture of my truck, it was completely stock with grey factory running boards, so you can tell a lot has changed. ive done all that on my own, with a job on top of after school practice. now that ive done that im looking to upgrade performance, i just finished installing a k&n fipk and have the 04 headlights on order(excited about that). im looking into hypertech tuning, which will come in december, but for right now im looking at my exhaust options.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Postmaster

kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.
Go online, read about how to get what you want from the truck... yeah, it requires more studying - just what you want to hear. Learning about how to build it the way you want it now will prevent you from wasting money on stuff that won't get you where you want to be.

If you can justify the pipe for a leter project, say a supercharger, then it's a good buy - if not, then save your money for an exhaust that can provide you the numbers you want to see.

The tuners are great for bringing out what performance there is left in the stock to mildly modified drivetrain. However, go with a tuner that has some adaptability if you're going ot drop that much money... SCT, Diablosport, even Edge. Hypertech never really caught my eye as they seemed to lack some bells and whistles for future improvement.

The unfortunate part is that many companies sell performance parts that only add on at higher rpms... a point that they don't readily publish. Glad to see you have caught on to that. Also don't immediately go for the "popular" fix... for instance if someone suggests a drivetrain mod and it sounds cool, bounce it off a perfromance engine builder or an engineer. They'll tell you why it either works or doesn't.

-Kerry
Old 11-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Senior User

thanks for the help.

i think im going to go with a gibson swept side exhaust and not worry about the y.
i figure its there for a reason and im just not going to mess with it, i dont want to inadvertenly lose some of my low end torque.

also, is there a real difference between alumanized or stainless steel?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Postmaster

The only difference is longevity... stainless doesn't rust except the welds, aluminized will rust where the aluminum has been removed, welds first and any damage spots.

-Kerry
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Senior User

what difference in life would you expect?

is stainless worth the extra 150?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Stainless will usually last the life of the truck and is usually guaranteed to do so.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Postmaster

I would say the stainless is worth it, if this is the system you want for the next 10+ years. Problem is your goal and tastes may change... I opt for the alumanized just for this reason. I can always go after a custom stainless set-up if the manufacturer stops making the kit later on in 5 years.

-Kerry
Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 PM