Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2002, 07:47 AM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hanging Brake Pedals in a 48-52

I'd like to convert from a floor mounted master cylinder to one I can mount on the firewall in my 48 F3 pickup. I'm sure others have done this. Is there room in the engine compartment for a small power brake booster and dual master cylinder using a small block engine? What seems to work best as far as a pedal assembly? I'd prefer to stay away from kits and use a salvage yard pedal assembly if possible. Is reinforcing necessary for the firewall? Is there some reference point I can use on the firewall to determine where to locate the master cylinder? I'll be using a GM tilt column and probably 67-72 Ford Master cylinder. Is there a particular small booster that fits this cylinder that would take up less space. I've heard that Fairmont boosters might work. Any comments appreciated.

1949 F-1
Old 09-20-2002, 08:59 AM
Posting Guru

Huntsman is starting off with a positive reputation.

Vern, There is a good tech article by John Niolon at this link. You may have already read it. I realize you have a 48 model truck but some of it would probably still apply. http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/pedals/index.html
Old 09-20-2002, 04:15 PM
Post Fiend

fatfenders is starting off with a positive reputation.

Vern

Find a hanging pedal and booster combination that works for your truck. Then buy a master cylinder (MC) to fit it. MCs are very cheap at the discount parts houses. Don't force yourself to build the truck around a used MC you happen to have laying around. 79-93 Mustang is another option for you. I use a mid seventies Ford van in my 53. It works OK but the booster could certainly be smaller. I would do the Mustang if I had it to do again.

'fenders
94 Mustang GT
347 Stroker- Not Slow
Old 09-20-2002, 04:56 PM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.

Tom,

That's a great article by John. I think my 48 will be much the same as his 53. Thanks for the tip. I do plan to use a new Master cylinder...probably a Mustang.

1949 F-1
Old 09-22-2002, 07:03 PM
Elder User

41Clay is starting off with a positive reputation.

I used a petal assembly out of an Aerostar bacause it is has a cast aluminuim mount that can bolt right to the firewall without welding and and has a large area for support. I didn't rienforce my firewall but a little would be nice. It also fits with a 390 under the hood, I positioned mine as close to the engine as possible but there's plenty of room for it to move further out.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:41 PM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation

Old 09-22-2002, 10:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks