1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pedal/MC opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:55 AM
1Digger
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Pedal/MC opinions

I know this has been discussed at length, but I need opinions on the location of the MC. What do you like/dislike about your setup. I had been leaning toward the original location to keep the engine bay clean, but then I asked myself if I would be showing the engine or not. I am not builiding a show truck, but I will occasionaly take it to the local cruises and I will have an EFI setup. I am going to try to hide as much as I can in the engine bay.
Lately though, I have been thinking about the pedal setup. It would be more natural for me to have the hanging pedals (I will be running an AOD).
Thoughts? Opinions? Let's hear 'em

Old 11-02-2006, 12:08 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I changed mine mostly because it had one hanging pedal for the clutch and one thru floor for brake. It worked ok, but looked strange. I also wanted to convert the manual disk/drum setup to power brakes, so I went ahead and put in hanging pedals and a SS 8" dual diaphram booster. I have the manual underfloor dual chamber MC and mount conversion I took off if you're interested, it's near new. Will work for drum/drum or disk/drum.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:11 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A clean firewall or the desire to keep the truck as stock looking as possible is about the only reasons I can see for using the floor mount MC. Advantages of the firewall mount include easier access for maintenance or repair, no holes in the floor for the pedals that allow air in, you do not not need inline residual valves (sometimes you might), and it's less expensive because you can use salvage yard pedal assemblies (and boosters if you have PS) instead of having to special order something that fits under the floor. I also suspect that the floor mount could also be a source of contention with exhaust. I had an under floor mount in a 29 Ford and had problems with the exhaust heating up the MC (solved with a heat shield).

There must be a reason no auto manufacturer puts them under the floor anymore.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:30 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I put mine on the firewall, to keep the floor without holes. I don't like the not clean firewall much, but its something I can live with..

I will use a manual light switch to NOT have a wire near the master (my master has a fitting for the pressure brakelight switch)..

Sam

Old 11-02-2006, 02:35 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
My pedal set came with a brakelight and clutch safety switch built in.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:56 PM
1Digger
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, the holes in the floor thing was another definite minus. I would like to keep that to a minimum. If I hung the pedals, I could seal up firewall. Then the only thing in the floor is the battery, which I thnk is pretty cool.
Should I have the column mocked up before I do the pedals?

Old 11-02-2006, 03:00 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
There are several "universal" pedal kits available for hanging pedal assy. There are tons of unit available from wrecking yards also. I can't remember all of the suitable donors (its an extensive list)

In my case I fabricated my own using parts from a Ford Focus. I fabricated bracketry that would tie the firewall, dashboard, and steering column all together for strength, just like the factories do.

Bobby

Old 11-02-2006, 03:11 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 1Digger
Yeah, the holes in the floor thing was another definite minus. I would like to keep that to a minimum. If I hung the pedals, I could seal up firewall. Then the only thing in the floor is the battery, which I thnk is pretty cool.
Should I have the column mocked up before I do the pedals?
I would suggest it especially if doing clutch and brake since they need to straddle the column.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:30 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, the hanging pedal and steering column mount needs to be done at the same time if you want to be sure there will be no interference and to be sure that the column and pedal positions are comfortable. If you have to do one first, do the column first since you can always cut and re-weld the pedal for clearance later if necessary but moving the column is a lot harder. Columns do not have to be installed perfectly straight either. You can position the column a inch or so at an angle to avoid obstructions without it being noticeable...

Old 11-03-2006, 06:46 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using an eary 90's jeep cherokee clutch/brake pedal assy. It unbolts as one complete unit, and the pivot assembly is a rectangle box, easy to mount. You'll have to fab a bracket from the dash to the firewall, then tie that into a firewall reinforcement where the m/c mounts. I'm in the process of doing that right now, and bolting the upper steering column into the bracket. I went to a hanging pedal system over the stock system to gain more leg room, and to make heel/toe easier. Remember, our steering columns go thru the floor, unlike modern vehicles, so make sure the pedals and the column don't interfere. If you're doing a manual tranny, you'll need to position the pedals to either side of the column. I had to heat and bend my clutch pedal for a better fit. I saw a car in a magazine recently where the clutch and brake pedals were both to the left of the steering column. Hmmm....