Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford, Dodge, Cevrolet? WHICH ONE!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:17 PM
coony joe
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ford, Dodge, Cevrolet? WHICH ONE!?

heres the options-
all diesel, all 3/4 ton (if you haven't noticed)
05 F250 4x4 superduty crew cab automatic
05 Ram 2500 4x4 cummins turbo crew cab automatic
05 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 duramax crew cab automatic

please answer the following if possible...
which has the most power?
which is more reliable?
which is quicker? (speed/racing)
which is more of a work horse? (towing etc.)
which is the best for off roadin? (mudding etc.)
which is just overall made better?

and just any other info that you guys would like to include im sure would help a lot

Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 PM
ChevmaninaFord
Senior User
You're asking a Ford website, expect the obvious...

Old 11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
CA55F100
Tuned
Umm,............Ford?

Old 11-01-2006, 06:42 PM
joelykool20
New User
From my expirence, I have a 04.5 duramax, my dad has an 03 6.0, and our one worker has an 05 dodge cummins. All automatics. In a drag race in about a 1/4 mile (maybe it was longer) my chevy jumped ahead first and held it for a little. Then the ford slowly pulled ahead with the dodge being last and stayed last the whole time. The ford was maybe a truck length ahead of me by the end of the race. I don't really care because my duramax was never in the shop except for the steering wheel was shaking and the ford has had a couple of computer reflashes and a turbo at 40,000 miles. By the way, we were all stock except I took my cat off my truck. Just my expirence. All good truck. Drive them all and find out for yourself.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by joelykool20
All good truck. Drive them all and find out for yourself.
Ding, ding, ding; we have a winner. Whatever truck you like best is the best truck for you. The truck I like best is the best for me (and it wouldn't be any of the ones on your list...).

Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I love these questions?

Chebbie gets the nod on power, Ford builds an overall great truck, Dodge has the Cummins. The obvious answer is drive 'em all, as mentioned.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
Take a deep breath, clear your head, then take a good look at them. Which do you see yourself in? FORD! Now go buy it would you.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 PM
coony joe
Freshman User
im aware that im on a ford site but i was just hoping that there would be a FEW non biased opinions, im mainly looking for a truck that has enough power to pull a 8k+ trailor load, and have the ability to do some mudding or a lil light 4x4ing, ive been looking at fords and dodges but im still a bit iffy on the chevys. the buisness that my dad and his partner run (selling playgrounds and park accessories) they've all got big diesel trucks, and now that im starting to get into the buisness my f150 cant pull all of the loads that i sometimes have to pull... as of now my dad has an f350 and the other guys have ram 3500's and my dad i think plans to sell his 350 for a dualy ram 3500. so i was basically just curious as to which brand builds a better truck for different purposes, i plan on driving them all but i cant exactly take them all 4x4ing before i purchase one.

so any info mainly on 4x4ing and power will be greatly appreciated

thanks
taylor

Last edited by coony joe; 11-01-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They'll all pull the load just fine, the Ford will probably handle it the best because it weighs the most and has that cool intergrated trailer brake thingy. I think from that year the Ford usually won in the drag races unloaded and loaded. Does it really matter if there's a few seconds difference in the 1/4 mile when you're pulling 8 thousand pounds though?

For 4x4ing .. if you're going to put larger tires on or are thinking of lifting it in the future the Ford or the Dodge will be the best with solid axles in the front.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:06 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Since they are used 05 models, I would base my decision on the following (most important first):
1. Condition
2. Price
3. How it fits you (some Ford bench seats make my back hurt)
4. How they are equipped.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:01 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,739 Likes on 1,330 Posts
Originally Posted by captain p4
Does it really matter if there's a few seconds difference in the 1/4 mile when you're pulling 8 thousand pounds though?

For 4x4ing .. if you're going to put larger tires on or are thinking of lifting it in the future the Ford or the Dodge will be the best with solid axles in the front.

It matters if you are on an on-ramp and trying to accelerate from 10mph to 70mph while going uphill.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:05 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe. but all of these trucks can do that safely enough.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
P51D Mustang
Elder User
For a work horse, the Cummins is the best power plant. It has more usable lowend tourqe, and will usually get the best fuel milege per work done. The Cummins motor also is the most proven trouble free, reliable, and durable, and will usually cost less to maintain. The Dodge automatics arn't highly regarded though. I would prefer a manual behind a Cummins, but I prefer a manual in anything.

Usually, a Ford 3/4 ton truck will have a Dodge beat when it comes to suspension, brakes, steering, ride, electrical, frame, body integrity, ...ect....

There are some issues with the GM trucks. First of all they are just too ugly (outside and inside) for me! Next, they can offer up excuses and counter arguments all they want , but the IFS isn't up to the task by my experiance. Another problem I have with GM trucks, is their 4x4 ststems. It may not work if your already stuck, in reverse, and you may destroy the transfer case if it spins wheels in low range. Yikes! Stay away, I say.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:06 PM
coony joe
Freshman User
thanks a bunch guys this is all really going to heart

Old 11-03-2006, 12:31 AM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by coony joe
heres the options-
all diesel, all 3/4 ton (if you haven't noticed)
05 F250 4x4 superduty crew cab automatic
05 Ram 2500 4x4 cummins turbo crew cab automatic
05 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 duramax crew cab automatic

please answer the following if possible...
which has the most power? ford stock, dodge and gm when modded at all.
which is more reliable? gm esp with the auto over dodge
which is quicker? (speed/racing) ford stock / gm tuned/chipped
which is more of a work horse? (towing etc.) take your pick, the allison ...well
which is the best for off roadin? (mudding etc.) gm IMO for stock (lighter and IFS) less overall drag.
which is just overall made better? GM IMO the D/A combo is hard to beat.

and just any other info that you guys would like to include im sure would help a lot
It is a lot of money to regret buying the wrong one. Test drive and see what you think is best. I would diffenantly run the Serial Number on all of the trucks to see how many times they have been in the shop.

Quick Reply: Ford, Dodge, Cevrolet? WHICH ONE!?