1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'52 Ford F-1, need help and advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 11:03 PM
Karm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post '52 Ford F-1, need help and advice

Ok, I searched for 2 years and finally found a '52 F-1. It is completely stock and runs great.. but as much as I would like to keep it stock, I want to heavily modify it into a street rod. Basically the goal is to build it into a street rod but maintain a stock interior and a stock unchopped body. I have a modified 351 Cleveland with 12:1 compression that pushes just over an estimated 350 HP. I also want to use a C4 and Ford 9". But my question is pretty large.

I have seen a lot of people modify Classic trucks in the way that I want to, and every way seems to be different. The question I have is about getting the engine mounted and what I should do for front suspension. People have suggested using the stock frame and getting an aftermarket weld in Mustang II IFS, but others have suggested using a Volare front clip which means major work as far as cutting, welding, etc. I'm not a big fan of cutting the chassis if I don't need to, but I also want to do it the best way no matter how much it kills me.
Just a side note, I still want to keep the front bumper and right now it is bolted to the front of the chassis.

If anyone has ever done what I am planning, please let me know what you did as far as mounting the engine and what you did for the front suspension and how.

Thanks
-Kevin

Old 10-12-2002, 07:53 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Oct-02 AT 09:02 AM (EST)]Kevin,

I'm faced with the same dilemma. I thought I had decided on the Volare, but I haven't made a final decision. What I am hearing about the Volare is that the steering box causes interference problems with just about any engine except Mopar. I don't know yet exactly what that interference is, but I'm told it's there. I like the idea of using the Volare because you get independent suspension, disc brakes, power steering, and excellent ride in one package. The Mustang II is great also, but you have to buy the crossmember, the rack and pinion, the control arms, springs, etc., separately unless you want to pay $2000 for a total package. I'm trying to build on a budget, so the Mustang II is not the route for me even though it may be the easiest and best setup. From what I have seen and heard the Volare fits under the Ford frame requiring only that you notch the frame to get it lower. The original Ford crossmember stays, and so does the frame ends where the bumper mounts, so that running a bumper is no problem. I think there will be less cutting of the original chassis using the Volare than something like a Camaro/Firebird, but more than using a Mustang II. The engine mounting is something I haven't considered yet, but I don't expect it to be a big job. I have even considered using a Chrysler 360 as a powerplant instead of a Ford to make that job easier, but it would be nice to keep it all Ford.

One other problem I hear about is front end width. My 48 F3 front axle is only 51 inches wide from backing plate to backing plate, but it's 61 inches wide from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface because of the wider F3 drums. The 87 Chrysler New Yorker suspension I measured was 55 inches from backing plate to backing plate and 61 inches from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. So, for my F3, that puts the width at something I can work with. I do not know if your F1 is the same width, but probably is. If so, then the width should be okay.

Old 10-12-2002, 06:20 PM
darkhorse54
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post