Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Stainless 3" exhaust for a NON-turbo 7.3?

Old 11-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Kleenax
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless 3" exhaust for a NON-turbo 7.3?

I know Rockauto.com has a good, standard steel 3" system (#19430) available, but is there any other place where you can get a really good, bolt-on, NON-turbo 3" stainless steel exhaust system? I really want to put a completely stainless system on this truck without having to have a custom one made.

1992 2WD F-250 7.3L 5-spd Super Cab - new Jasper longblock, Bought from local University (MSU - 09/20/06). Completely stock as far as I can see - LOTS of new parts - 163,829 miles as of purchase. East Lansing, MI

Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 AM
amish77
Cargo Master
don't know of anywhere, but if you don't off road the truck all the time you might want to go aluminized. It's cheaper and I liked the looks of it enough to not run tips on the back of my truck. Just as good as stainless in my opinion.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:42 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Why are you stuck on the idea of stainless, Kleenax? Diesel exhaust isn't NEARLY as corrosive as gasoline's. My truck has at least 100k on it (I suspect it's actually 200k based on CarFax info) and it still has the one-piece, welded-solid, stock exhaust system on it. And it isn't even rotted out.

Heck, I'm pretty sure the muffler is even original - can't imagine anyone buying a POS stock muffler (at stealership prices) to put on it. Aluminized steel will last longer than your truck. A stainless system will last longer than there are IDIs to put it on.
I seriously doubt that you're going to find anything in stainless unless you want to have it custom made. Heck, I only know of one place that sells headers for 'em (Stan's) and one other place that sells any kind of "performance" exhaust system for 'em (Dynomax).

As old as these trucks are, and as expensive and un-necessary as stainless is for this application, I'm afraid custom is going to be the only option if you're really determined to spend 3x more than you need to.....

Old 11-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Kleenax
Senior User
3" stainless exhaust for non-turbo

CheaperJeeper:

I live in Michigan, you live in WA. Obviously you have never been through a Michigan winter I am assuming if you wonder why I'm stuck on stainless.....

Here, they put SALT on the roads in the winter; the LONGGGG winter! Hell, our muffler clamps ROT after only 2 winters! You see, "plain-steel" exhaust systems corrode from the outside in; I'm not worried about how non-corrosive the diesel exhaust is.

I also have a 1990 Toyota Celica GT with the original factory (stainless) exhaust on it, and it has 265k on it! THAT'S what I want on my truck! I have a mud drive-way, and don't really enjoy working under my vehicles too much ;-)

The less time I have to spend under there the better!

Ray

Old 11-17-2006, 02:56 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kleenax
CheaperJeeper:

I live in Michigan, you live in WA. Obviously you have never been through a Michigan winter I am assuming if you wonder why I'm stuck on stainless.....

Here, they put SALT on the roads in the winter; the LONGGGG winter! Hell, our muffler clamps ROT after only 2 winters! You see, "plain-steel" exhaust systems corrode from the outside in; I'm not worried about how non-corrosive the diesel exhaust is.

I also have a 1990 Toyota Celica GT with the original factory (stainless) exhaust on it, and it has 265k on it! THAT'S what I want on my truck! I have a mud drive-way, and don't really enjoy working under my vehicles too much ;-)

The less time I have to spend under there the better!

Ray
Well, I grew up in Missouri and they salt the heck out of the roads there too. Just for a shorter period each year than in Mich.

Your argument makes more sense now. You specifically WANT a system that will last until the rest of the truck is a pile of rust. Gotcha'

Still afraid you aren't going to find anything but a custom job in stainless.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Kleenax
Senior User
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
Well, I grew up in Missouri and they salt the heck out of the roads there too. Just for a shorter period each year than in Mich.

Your argument makes more sense now. You specifically WANT a system that will last until the rest of the truck is a pile of rust. Gotcha'

Still afraid you aren't going to find anything but a custom job in stainless.
Last time I drove through Missouri in winter, I specifically noticed them NOT using salt (the darn roads were a glare of ice!). I asked a trucker and he said that they use cinders a lot instead of salt there.....dunno why.

Anyway, I noticed a LOT of the 3" & 4" stainless systems for the 1994-and up Ford pickups, so I figure it would be quick-n-dirty just to get one of those and then all you'd have to have made custom was a stainless headpipe/Y pipe. Tie it into the "tailored" stainless, and there ya go! Half of those 3" & 4" systems that they sell on here don't include the headpipe anyway!

I will probably go with a 4" system from the Y back in stainless since the price is only a teeny bit more than 3". Now all I have to do is to find someone that can professionally fabricate a good (mandrel-bent) stainless Y pipe for us "non-turbo" 7.3 dudes with the proper flange to bolt up to one of these Magnaflow systems. Ideally, by what I see, it would be 2-1/2" off each side into a 4" Y/collector that joins into the conventional 4" system.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:30 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
There's a place on ebay that sells 4" stainless turbo-back systems for the '94-98 powerstrokes, I think they're in the mid $400 range which is cheaper than everyone else pretty much. Might as well adapt that.

Last edited by ghunt; 11-17-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:33 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Last time I drove through Missouri in winter, I specifically noticed them NOT using salt (the darn roads were a glare of ice!). I asked a trucker and he said that they use cinders a lot instead of salt there.....dunno why.
Well, like I said, I grew up there - but what I didn't say is that I haven't lived there in 25 years (MAN that sure makes me sound OLD!). Anyway, they used to salt the roads HEAVILY - guess they quit doing that at some point. As for why, probably because people got tired of seeing the fenders fall off and disintegrate into a pile of rust on their 5 year old cars

Anyway, I noticed a LOT of the 3" & 4" stainless systems for the 1994-and up Ford pickups, so I figure it would be quick-n-dirty just to get one of those and then all you'd have to have made custom was a stainless headpipe/Y pipe. Tie it into the "tailored" stainless, and there ya go! Half of those 3" & 4" systems that they sell on here don't include the headpipe anyway!

I will probably go with a 4" system from the Y back in stainless since the price is only a teeny bit more than 3". Now all I have to do is to find someone that can professionally fabricate a good (mandrel-bent) stainless Y pipe for us "non-turbo" 7.3 dudes with the proper flange to bolt up to one of these Magnaflow systems. Ideally, by what I see, it would be 2-1/2" off each side into a 4" Y/collector that joins into the conventional 4" system.
Yeah, that would cut down on the fab work. However, unless you want to fab custom clamps to attach the Y-pipe to the manifolds, 2.25" is about as big as you can go with the downpipes. Even if you do go 2.5" it won't be much (if any) benefit unless you also grind out the opening in the manifolds where they bolt on. There was a good thread about this recently...

Originally Posted by ghunt
There's a place on ebay that sells 4" stainless turbo-back systems for the '94-98 powerstrokes, I think they're in the mid $400 range which is cheaper than everyone else pretty much. Might as well adapt that.
Yeah, I approached that guy (or one of his competitors) and asked him if he'd consider making a custom Y to adapt his kit to a NA 6.9/7.3 IDI. His reply was just basically a short & resounding "no".

I emailed him again and pointed out that it would be fairly easy to do, and that if he did he would then be able to sell a lot more of his systems because they'd fit a lot more trucks. Basically tried to show him where he could have a new and unique addition to his product line just by designing a simple Y-pipe. Guy never even bothered to reply.....

Old 11-17-2006, 08:11 PM
bc6.9
Elder User
$400.00 for stainless is a great price...thats cheaper than a custom exhaust system!

Old 11-17-2006, 09:50 PM
KJLYPW
Posting Guru
Nothing is really available in bolt on for the trucks, but if you can use up to the stock y pipe, from there back I understand you can use 94-97 turbo exhaust system. I have already built a 3" system from headers back to a custom Y pipe at my crossmember, and just ordered a 4" aluminized muffler and tail pipe from NAPA, plus a lenght of 4" straight pipe to go from my Y to the muffler. I will be installing this weekend. Pick up a copy of Diesel Power magazine, I know it caters to Turbo power trucks PSD, and other dark side rides, but also all kinds of ads for SS exhaust systems, intake mods etc. For instance here is a link to one store with lots of exhaust options with good prices. I just cant afford UPS brokerage fee's to ship stuff across the border. www.rpmoutlet.com - No offense brown -guy you know who! Ha HA. LOL

Old 11-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Who was it on here that bought into a bolt-on Dynomax exhaust? I can't remember who it was but I believe they also posted a sound clip...

Old 11-18-2006, 05:35 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
If you don't have to have a custom bent stainless solid pipe find a Nelson dealer and get stainless flex pipe. Use the stainless band clamps. Road tractors use the same system. I have had it on my truck for years and it didn't cost anything compared to these prices mentioned. Call your local heavy duty truck dealer or find it online. Later

Old 11-18-2006, 07:54 PM
KJLYPW
Posting Guru
I just finished intalling a 4" aluminized steel system on my truck. I have headers into 3" to a Y pipe, at the Y I just opened it up to 4"from my previous 3" system. Man I tell you it sounds awsome. I will now get the full power increase benifits of the headers. To tell the truth though, if you guys N/A get rid of the soup bowl and the stupid little plastic intake, if your doing exhaust anyway, dont mess around with 3" system, go for 4", I believe you will be very happy with the performance results. The headers are nice bling, but you will do almost as good with just plain old bigger pipes.
Now that I have the 4" I will go try the 1/4 mile "dyno" run again to see what happens.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:09 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dave7.3
Who was it on here that bought into a bolt-on Dynomax exhaust? I can't remember who it was but I believe they also posted a sound clip...
That would be tuke.....