Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

6.0 Cylinder Meltdown Trends

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:02 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Actually I had lower EGT's with the older predator 100hp tune than I did with the stock ford tune (June 05 flash but don't know the number). Matt did a SOTP oil pressure check with a manual gauge tonight right side of the motor at idle--11psi. Left side of the motor at idle--18 psi. Quite a bit of difference and might answer some questions about meltdowns. Seems like the right side of the motor takes all the heat/abuse by design??? I wonder if one of our resident "engineers" might possibly think of a cure or a way to reroute the oil. I have seen it done on gassers with lifter oiling problems, but don't know if there's a way with this motor.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:00 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
im still pondering on this issue but if you and matt want to, the oil pressure regulator is on the bottom of the engine. maybe yall can enlarge/adjust there. thats surprising about the egts. why didnt yall check oil pressure at wide open throttle?

Old 11-09-2006, 02:01 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
im still pondering on this issue but if you and matt want to, the oil pressure regulator is on the bottom of the engine. maybe yall can enlarge/adjust there. thats surprising about the egts. why didnt yall check oil pressure at wide open throttle?
Didn't have a way to monitor it inside the cab the way I was tapped in.

What I suspect we actually need is a much larger oil pump....been n the process of working on that, will be done shortly I hope

Old 11-09-2006, 03:23 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
not doubting the larger pump but, you have your work cut out for you because of the "no room" issue.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:27 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt,

Is there any way to increase the oil galley holes on the right side of the engine, at least to the piston skirts and then reduce the inlet hole size on the left oil galley?

Thinking it might help balance the flow a little better.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:02 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
not doubting the larger pump but, you have your work cut out for you because of the "no room" issue.
We are working on some ideas

The key is to go external with a non-gerotor style pump. There are a couple of places to mount them depending on if you want to go full dry-sump with scavenge or a wet sump from the pan without scavenge.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:06 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Matt,

Is there any way to increase the oil galley holes on the right side of the engine, at least to the piston skirts and then reduce the inlet hole size on the left oil galley?

Thinking it might help balance the flow a little better.
There is plenty of room to enlarge the passages on the passenger side, but I am hesitant to restrict flow to the drivers side or I feel like we might simply switch the problem to the other bank. If a flow restriction turns out to be needed it wouldn't be difficult to do.

I have a stripped crankcase at the machine shop right now getting some sleeves, so I might have them take a look.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:34 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Matt,

I keep forgetting you have a dry sump oil system already

Since you can probably add a larger pump without to many space limitations, then you should hopefully be able to enlarge the gallies on the right side of the motor without having to worry about restricting the drivers side to maintain volume.

I was thinking with a factory wet sump oil system you might not have the room for a larger pump, hence the suggestion to restrict the left side oil galley when increasing the right side galley.

Good luck with your upgrade, i am curious as to if this is going to solve your heat problem, I'm thinking once you get the oiling flow upgrades fine tuned that your heating problems will reduce dramatically.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:00 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
This is very creative problem solving. Problems that shouldn't have been there in the first place. Do you think this was one of the aspects of the engine that Ford, or International decided was a non-issue?

Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Probably. Since International has been running this engine in trucks for a while I wonder if they already knew and didn't plan on Ford's tweaking the VT365 the way they did and then all the A/M on top of that. AND.....I'm not sure that if Ford HAD known they would have done anything to correct it without extreme pressure. Obviously it's not a huge problem or it would have come up 2 or 3 years ago. The block section of this motor has been basically bulletproof....only carnage I've seen is from the A.) piston overheating issue, or B.) other failed parts that have gone through the system causing block/crank/piston damage. There has been some talk of the LPOP gears being a weak point in the highly modded motors, but I only know of 2 actual failures from defective parts. The rest have had something run through them--usually a lifter roller bearing--it doesn't take much and the oilpan screen is easily large enough to ingest them or some other large part. I know there are aftermarket LPOP gears available for a price, but don't know if they really fix that problem.

Last edited by npccpartsman; 11-14-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:26 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
You guys have peaked my curiosity on this one. Let's say all of you 6.0L gearheads can figure out how to solve all these overheating issues, how much power is now safely attainable? Better yet, how much power is acheivable with a smoother running 6.0L engine? Engine longevity? Assuming all of this issues are fixable...I think you guys could take this engine to levels that no-one has seen yet.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:34 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Matt,

Thought this was an interesting change on cylinder & piston cooling in the new 6.4L.

"Directed Piston Cooling Jet Tubes and gallery cooled pistons, a big-bore feature incorporated into the new engine, distribute cooling oil into a passage surrounding the combustion bowl to remove the maximum amount of heat from the piston. This helps to achieve maximum durability and reliability and assure outstanding power and cylinder life in the face of higher injection pressures."

Here is a link to the entire article
http://www.internationaldelivers.com...ail.asp?id=803

Old 11-17-2006, 07:04 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

That's a very interesting article.. Maybe they DID know about the piston cooling problem all along and just never cranked the motor up enough for it to ever get hurt.....til the A/M comes along and exposes all the 6.0L's weaknesses. Wow---what a can of worms we opened--LMAO

Old 11-18-2006, 11:24 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Matt,

Thought this was an interesting change on cylinder & piston cooling in the new 6.4L.

"Directed Piston Cooling Jet Tubes and gallery cooled pistons, a big-bore feature incorporated into the new engine, distribute cooling oil into a passage surrounding the combustion bowl to remove the maximum amount of heat from the piston. This helps to achieve maximum durability and reliability and assure outstanding power and cylinder life in the face of higher injection pressures."

Here is a link to the entire article
http://www.internationaldelivers.com...ail.asp?id=803
They may have changed the geometry of the system around some, but thats the same system the 6.0 is running...they just put it in technical terms to make themselves sound good

Old 11-18-2006, 11:36 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Matt,

Ahh the marketing guys were at it again.

I will be curious to see the oil flow in the gallies to see if they solved the pressure imbalance between the left and right side.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Cylinder Meltdown Trends