Notices
View Poll Results: What real-world (if possible!) quality do you want in an intake system?
Mid-Range Power
25.00%
Low-RPM Torque
33.33%
Fuel Efficeincy
29.17%
Improved Filtration
8.33%
Louder Sound
4.17%
Quiet Sound
0%
Other- Please Specify
0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

The Perfect Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Aaron Morant
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Perfect Intake

What real-world (if possible!) quality do you want from an intake system?

Old 10-31-2006, 07:53 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
It was a toss-up between feul efficiency and quieter sound, I have the infamous whistle sound coming from my Airaid intake, it sounds so stupid I might just go back to stock.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:42 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I voted for better filtration, but I think the answers could be related to a vehicle and what was wanted from it. Example is I would like more low end on my Ranger, but would want more help on the mid range on my Explorer.

Basically though, as long as I am getting good/great filtration, but am cutting restriction to be able to get more air, I am happy.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:35 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
I think I have to say filtration tops my list. It doesnt matter how good it sounds or what power it adds, if it dusts the turbo, the filter is a bad call.
Now after that, I don't know that louder or quieter is going to matter a lot to me. Even with the louder, more open sound that these bigger filters generally give, it's not all that much - someone who doesnt own a diesel doesnt know the difference.
Fuel efficiency, man anymore, anything that helps there is welcome.
Its got to be a balancing act though I suspect. More filtration probably equates to quieter, louder is less filtration but maybe a little better on the fuel.
Wondering out loud if an aftermarket company couldn't tackle the sound issue readily not by changing the filter but the tube. Surely some compounds, such as plastic, would dampen the noise for those that wanted it, and others, like aluminum, would act like a drum and accentuate it. You could get the loud or quite package. Same filter, different tube. Mmmmm. I want a cut when that idea puts your profits over the edge :-)