1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Whining sound coming from fan belt area??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 04:05 PM
walkman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining sound coming from fan belt area??

I have a '92 Ranger 3.0 liter extended cab with 100,000 miles

I'm getting a high pitched whining coming out of my engine. I thought the belt was slipping so I sprayed on some belt dressing.

It reduced the noise, but didn't get rid of it. Now I'm thinking that it might be coming from one of the devices driven by the belt that's making the noise.

Is the best way to test to remove the belt and then turn all the motors, etc. by hand to check for mechanical griding?

Is there a better way to isolate the sound?

Also, does this engine have a timing belt that needs to be replaced at a certain milage? Could that be making the sound?

Old 10-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Tiggie
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Take a wooden stick and place one end on your ear and the other end to an accessory on the engine while it is running. This works as a makeshift stethescope.

Since it's a whining as your describe, it's probably the power steering pump. Next in line I would suspect the alternator.

I don't think your have a timing belt, but you do have a timing chain. I would replace it at 100K.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:30 PM
walkman
Freshman User
Thanks for the response.

Is replacing the timing chain a reasonable DIY job, or is it better left to a professional mechanic?

Old 11-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
A double roller timing chain should last the life of the engine, unless you're frequently running the engine at high RPM. They very seldom ever break and whatever bit they stretch is insignificant for 98% of the folks out there.

You can replace it yourself, but it is one of those jobs that is a pain in the neck to do with the engine in the truck. If it were me, I'd just leave it alone until it comes time to rebuild the motor.

As far as your noise is concerned, it could be one of the accessories as mentioned, or a failing idler or tensioner.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:15 AM
walkman
Freshman User
From finding some other posts on belt replacement it looks like it can be a real cat and mouse game trying to find the culprit. Unfortunately, it seems many people end up changing out several components until they find the right one.

It's interesting that adding shooting some belt dressing on the belt reduces (but doesn't) eliminate the sound. I suppose that means that one of the components is having a hard time turning. I listened to all the components with a dowel and could hear mechanical turning sounds, but nothing that seemed to be causing the screetching.

I guess I'll try shooting some lube into the various pullies & components to see if I can narrow it down. Then I'll take off the belt and see if I can find a problem by turning things by hand.

Thanks for the explanation on the timing chain. I've had cars in the past that needed to have the timing belt changed at around 100,000. I guess that's because it was a belt instead of a chain. Glad to hear I won't need to mess with that.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:33 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Personally I'm not a big fan of belt dressing use on serp belts. Before you squirt lubricant all around [which is a pain since you don't want to get it on the belt], consider trying a little talcum powder on the belt to see if that takes the noise away. Serp. belts are inexpensive and pretty easy to change if you have a cheater bar or the tool to move the tensioner. You might be due for one anyway. If it is the belt, the powder will almost always silence the belt for at least a short time and you'll be able to see if it is another component, such as the idler pulley or the tensioner itself.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Forgot to add that most parts stores have loaner serp belt tools to move the tensioner.

Last edited by customstringer; 11-02-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:26 PM
walkman
Freshman User
I was able to move the self-tensioner pulley on my 3.0L using a 14mm socket and long wrench without much trouble.

Everything seemed to spin ok except for the PS unit. The PS unit would turn, but not spin.

At this point I'm not sure which component needs to be fixed.

Unfortunately, I guess it's going to have to be the trial and error method.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:51 PM
customstringer
Elder User
My experience is that if it was the p/s unit you'd hear the squeal clearly coming from it. I'm sure others will know if what you describe means it has seized up. Hanging parts is an expensive way to solve a problem.

Last edited by customstringer; 11-02-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:02 PM
papa's 64
Senior User
i'd bet on the belt tensioner being bad they start going bad around 100,000. i had to replace mine at 90,000. and i've had several people tell me that they've had the same problem at around the same mileage. it's and easy do it yourself repair. of course you could always take it to one of those mechanic guys that i hear people talking about, but last i heard that cost money and that's something i just don't have enough of. good luck

Old 11-02-2006, 07:26 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
You haven't said if the sound appears to be coming from the front, rear, left, right, high up or down low, in the engine compartment.

SO, if your 92 has a distributor, listen to it, with the dowell rod. It could be a dry, noisey, distributor shaft bearing, or maybe a worn out rotor button & the rotor wearing away on the cap!!!!!

Just a thought or two, from the peanut gallery!!!! lol

Old 11-06-2006, 09:02 AM
walkman
Freshman User
I replaced the self-tensioner since it seemed like the most likely candidate and was about due to go bad from other peoples experience. I also thought that this was the likely culprit since spraying belt dressing would temporarily get rid of the sound which made it seems like a "grip" problem.

This seems to have reduced the screeching/whining sound about 70%. I havent' figured out what is causing the remaining sound yet.

I also checked the distributor with the dowel and it sounds fine.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 AM
customstringer
Elder User
Glad to hear you got rid of most of it. My two suggestions given what you say are first, the belt itself [has it been a while since it's been replaced?] and then next would be the idler pulley. Both also are easy and inexpensive repairs. I still prefer the talcum powder trick as if it goes away with that it makes the belt highly suspect. Either way I'd do the belt first as it is a cheap fix and a new one never hurts. If that does not do it I guess I'd try to see if you could isolate the location of the sqeal to a particular area. It really helps if you have a buddy start it up so you can be right there by the engine to listen when the noise first appears. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 PM
papa's 64
Senior User
when u replaced the tensioner did u also replace the belt. always a smart thing to do. if the tensioner was going bad the belt was probably slipping a little. just my opinion. good luck

Old 11-08-2006, 04:05 PM
walkman
Freshman User
You guys were exactly right. The belt didn't look bad, but it must have gotten "glazed" by the bad tensioner.

I replaced the belt and the whining/screeching sound is gone!

Quick Reply: Whining sound coming from fan belt area??