1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fuel Vapors and Floor insulator

Old 10-14-2002, 09:14 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 10-19-2002, 05:46 AM
55FordLover
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey gentlemen,

FIRST - I have fuel vapors in my garage with my 54...installed a new tank and had to motify the adapter for the SW fuel gauge but sealed it all up...is it that my gas cap could be releasing the vapors due to age or should i look at the installation around the sending unit again?? Nothing is leaking...the tank is the plastic type...

SECOND - The heat shield material for the floor is everywhere or am i stuck with 53-56 ford stores??

Old 10-19-2002, 07:24 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

If you are looking to save money on floor insulating materials, I think you'll find your local Home Depot, Lowes, Menards sell similar aluminum over trapped air bubble products. I used 3/8 standard carpeting pad under my rug except high heat areas. I may be scaping it up someday but it should be very quiet for now. It was a fraction of the cost.

'fenders

Old 10-19-2002, 07:55 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-Oct-02 AT 08:56 AM (EST)]Regarding your fuel vapors; is the new tank vented? Most are and you have to run a vent hose. I had a 29 Ford with polyethelene saddle tanks and ran my vent hose up into the top of the fender. If that's the source, you could get one of those vapor canisters and install it somewhere under the truck to run your hose into. Also, if the tank is vented, you should run a non-vented cap to prevent vapors from escaping around the cap. The original tank was not vented and the cap was.

Old 10-19-2002, 07:44 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I you have the new poly tank it should have two fittings on the top one is for the fuel line the other can be used as a return line or vent line. On mine I attached about three inches of pipe and plugged it. no leaks or vapors. I did use to have a gas smell after when my truck was running it turned out the gas wasn't burning so I switched to the Duraspark II and has had no problems since.
Jaye
Jaye

Old 10-20-2002, 06:54 AM
spacecoast
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here is my 2 cents worth. Yes the truck is causing the gas vapors and they are coming from two areas. 1. possible tank vent line and 2. the carb. air cleaner.

1. If this vent is doing it, I suggest that you could hook up a carbon canisiter as used since about 60.

2. Old carbs are vented to the atmosphere and if this is your source live with it or change carbs and do 1 too.

The smell of gasoline in a garage I experienced as a boy started dying about 1960 but has returned to my garage since the 53 F100 - maybe it is the smell that makes me feel young????

Search this Thread