1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Truck Died At Light - Started Again

Old 10-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Ilikebigtrucks
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Died At Light - Started Again

So I was sitting at a light yesterday. Ironcially thinking about how well the truck had run. It hadn't given me any trouble since I bought it - specifically the motor. After a minute at the light or so the truck died. Like someone turned the key off. It restarted like normal and I drove away.

I've been out wheeling in the mountains with the truck running for 6 hours or more at more or less and idle with no trouble. Do we think this might be the CPS? Do they fail that way? I've been meaning to buy a spare but haven't yet. There was no check engine light. Infact I don't think I've ever seen a check engine light - even koeo. Is my light burned out or something?

Old 10-30-2006, 02:33 PM
DAN-D-DIESEL97
Senior User
more than like cps.mine did same thing,then it started to get more frequent.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Ilikebigtrucks
Junior User
Okay this sucks... Had it stutter on the highway and die at stopsign. Highway was like a week ago and stopsign was this morning.

Wheres the best price on these things and how much?
$180 from Autozone it Looks like.
Ebay isn't happening - everything is for the newer trucks.

I take it these things can last years. I've seen a truck go no less than 5 years with no trouble.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:14 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DAN-D-DIESEL97
more than like cps.mine did same thing,then it started to get more frequent.
My truck died just 4 times before complete failure @ 145K. The no tach movement during cranking. A buddy’s truck had the rough symptom and never died he took it to the shop and they changed out just over $600 in parts never change the CPS and then they wanted to replace the computer. He pulled out of the shop and installed a new CPS form International and fixed the problem.

I would start @ the CPS and see if it is the cure.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:13 PM
jcab
Senior User
Obs Cps

I BOUGHT MINE ON E-BAY, AND I HAVE A 97 PSD CREWCAB. DON'T ASK ME WHO I BOUGHT IT FROM, I DON'T REMEMBER. JCAB

Originally Posted by Ilikebigtrucks
So I was sitting at a light yesterday. Ironcially thinking about how well the truck had run. It hadn't given me any trouble since I bought it - specifically the motor. After a minute at the light or so the truck died. Like someone turned the key off. It restarted like normal and I drove away.

I've been out wheeling in the mountains with the truck running for 6 hours or more at more or less and idle with no trouble. Do we think this might be the CPS? Do they fail that way? I've been meaning to buy a spare but haven't yet. There was no check engine light. Infact I don't think I've ever seen a check engine light - even koeo. Is my light burned out or something?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:22 AM
nervouswreck
New User
Is there a test to perform on the CPS before buying a new one?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:52 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes.

1. Check voltage between the CPS terminals PWR GND and CID.
  2. With the engine running, voltage should be greater than 0.1 volt AC and vary with engine speed.
  3. If voltage is not within specification, check for proper voltage at the VPWR terminal.
  4. If VPWR voltage is greater than 10.5 volts, sensor may be faulty.

Search this Thread