Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
Need help getting started

I've read alot of posts, I've done a lot of searching, and I really want to start making my own Bio. My problem is that I can't afford a $3000 set up, and I am kinda limited on available space. I was looking for sugestions / instructions on how I can start a simple small operation in my garage / side of house. Do I need to wash it, and if not will not doing so save space? Thanks all for any advice!!
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 10-30-2006, 06:41 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo75
I've read alot of posts, I've done a lot of searching, and I really want to start making my own Bio. My problem is that I can't afford a $3000 set up, and I am kinda limited on available space. I was looking for sugestions / instructions on how I can start a simple small operation in my garage / side of house. Do I need to wash it, and if not will not doing so save space? Thanks all for any advice!!

Your in luck! GirlMark has a biodiesel build class this comming weekend Nov 4-5 in Berkely Ca. You can register for her class here: http://www.girlmark.com/tour

She will be showing how to build an "appleseed" style processer, and usually uses kits from here: http://www.b100supply.com/index.cfm?...TOKEN=83982429

If you can't make it to her class, you can get all the info on building your own processer here: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org

Most people will tell you that you need to wash your bio, I however do not beleve in adding water to my biodiesel! I use Magnesol to clean my biodiesel. You can find more info on Magnesol here: http://www.fryerpower.com/store/page1.html

Good luck, and let us know if we can be of any help! FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 10-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
Thanks Fabman- I won't be able to make the 600 mile trip though! I'll check out the other sites you mentioned, and maybe she'll have another class nearer to Orange/ LA county someday. Besides, I wouldn't want to go to Berkely and be misconstrued as a tree huggin' hippie LOL....
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 10-30-2006, 07:07 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Thanks Fabman- I won't be able to make the 600 mile trip though! I'll check out the other sites you mentioned, and maybe she'll have another class nearer to Orange/ LA county someday. Besides, I wouldn't want to go to Berkely and be misconstrued as a tree huggin' hippie LOL....

Check out my gallery, The processer I built cost me less than $200, and I've made more than 8,000 gallons! I use a completely different processer that I designed myself, and I do not water wash my bio..............And I hear ya about the Berkely thing.......They would have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me anywhere near that place!

FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:57 AM
Postmaster

danny jones
Fabman- do you have a "general" recipe you follow? I understand that you have to do a titration test first, but what about the amount / ratio of magnasol that you use? Any ideas on what the best chemicals are to do a test with are? And what do you think of the water heater "appleseed" processor for a newbie to making biodiesel- do you think this is a better way to start? Thanks!
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 10-31-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Fabman- do you have a "general" recipe you follow? I understand that you have to do a titration test first, but what about the amount / ratio of magnasol that you use? Any ideas on what the best chemicals are to do a test with are? And what do you think of the water heater "appleseed" processor for a newbie to making biodiesel- do you think this is a better way to start? Thanks!

I have an exact formula that I have developed for the oils that I pick up. I haven't titrated my oil in over 2 years. I've found that the titration results were always so close that I was not saving much money and wasting a lot of time for nothing. I made 1ltr test batches in varing amounts till I found a formula that worked for me. As an example: If you titrated your oil and figured out the exact amount of Lye required and mixed just that amount, then any water showed up in the mixture, the water will form a side reaction and "pull" some of the Lye out of the Methoxide forming soap. This will not allow a complete reaction, and has the potential to form "glop", thus waisting a batch of bio. By using slightly more Lye than required you will force the reaction to completion, thus saving the batch. since I've quit titrating I've not had a bad batch yet! My formula is 25 gallons oil + 5 gallons Methanol + 3pounds KOH

The amount of Magnesol required depends on if you remove the Methanol from the biodiesel first. I remove the Methanol first, so I can get by with less Magnesol I use 1 percent Magnesol by weight= 1 pound of Magnesol to 100 lbs of biodiesel. If you don't remove the Methanol first it requires 2 percent Magnesol by weight.

As to the appleseed processer this should express my thoughts on the matter: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/51...ed-newbie.html
Post #2

For testing your Biodiesel go to http://www.biodieselcommunity.org They have all the info you need for testing your bio.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:11 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels