Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Junior User

Odge is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking Maximum safe boost for 6.0

I removed the muffler from my truck and the cat fell off and now I am hitting about 25 pounds of boost without much effort . So the questions is, what is a safe amount of boost for the 6.0?

I know there are alot of people who have modded their trucks and are getting some serious boost but what is safe. Is there a maximum setpoint set at the factory?

I have an Edge A2 that I mostly run on stock or 1. I bought it mostly to watch what the motor is doing. Most of the time I don't even look at the dash just at the A2 for EGT and engine stats.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior User

f-350 turbo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the max boost that you can put to the 6.0 and be safe is the amount of boost right before you stretch your head bolts and pop you head gaskets. From what I have read there have been 3 revisions on head gaskets and one on head bolts so I think its going to depend on what revision your truck has.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Junior User

I bought my '07 in August, so I would imagine that it has the newest revision. I haven't checked the engine build date but might see if I can find it today, if the weather holds out.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Senior User

2006PSDSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odge
I removed the muffler from my truck and the cat fell off and now I am hitting about 25 pounds of boost without much effort . So the questions is, what is a safe amount of boost for the 6.0?

I know there are alot of people who have modded their trucks and are getting some serious boost but what is safe. Is there a maximum setpoint set at the factory?

I have an Edge A2 that I mostly run on stock or 1. I bought it mostly to watch what the motor is doing. Most of the time I don't even look at the dash just at the A2 for EGT and engine stats.
The max boost you want to run on a 6.0 is 38 psi, without doing anything else to your heads, gaskets, studs. Like f-350 turbo said though, the studs and gaskets have been changed a number of times, so not to say that you can't damage anything but, that's what I have been told by powerstroke builders is the number. I would set your Edge to backdown at like 30-33 psi, just to be safe.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Postmaster

BowTieHatr has a very good reputation on FTE.BowTieHatr has a very good reputation on FTE.BowTieHatr has a very good reputation on FTE.
25 psi is perfect, not to low, not to high. once you hit 30 psi your bolts start growing little by little day by day.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Senior User

badbrad60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Over the weekend I had my truck in Level 7/7 merged on the freeway until 97mph. The PDA alarmed at 35PSI and the EGT's hit 1460 deg F. I never see the stock gauge hit the numbers that the PDA hits. Seems like it is just slower to respond or does it just interpret info differently. Which gauge is more accurate? Am I really hitting 35psi? poor stretch bolts........
Old 10-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Junior User

GLAMIS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey badbrad60 what does a 40' full throttle WW trailer wieght? and what level do you tow in? I have a 38" Next level fifth wheel that I havn't towed seen I got my tuner.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Junior User

Bowtie, I have my alarm set at 23 and defuel/backdown set at 25. Since the cat fell off every time it downshifts under load I get that alarm going off. I haven't tried pulling with the truck since I pulled.... umm...the cat fell off. I have noticed that my egt's are running a lot lower. Will keep you updated.
Thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior User

badbrad60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glamis, I haven't taken it to the scales yet, but calculated, it is about 16k loaded. I have towed in all the levels, but to avoid grenading the motor I try to keep it at 3/7, sometimes bumping it to 4.
Odge states that he has defueling at 25? If I had mine doing that (thru the PDA) I would be defueling all the time. So, my question still stands...which gauge is more accurate? Stock or PDA?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Posting Guru

raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Bowtie, I have my alarm set at 23 and defuel/backdown set at 25. Since the cat fell off every time it downshifts under load I get that alarm going off. I haven't tried pulling with the truck since I pulled.... umm...the cat fell off. I have noticed that my egt's are running a lot lower. Will keep you updated.
Thanks

so if i understand you correctly the boost never went this high until the exhaust change? or is it from the tuner? mine never hits anything higher than 25lbs by the stock gauge or my autometer. but then again i have the egr disconnected. i hear that makes a difference of the boost levels is that true? if so what is the status of your egr?
05' silver f-350 lariat 6.0 psd 4x4 crew cab drw, 4"inch turbo back exhaust, BPD oil cooler condenser mount, powermax turbo,dc power 190Amp OEM High Output Alternator , coolant filter, auto meter: boost, coolant temp, trans temp, egt, voltage. scan gauge II, Rds 91 gallon fuel tank toolbox combo, ready lift 2.5 leveling kit, blue spring mod.Fumuto oil drain, AE w/ford enhanced bundle.Air lift 5000 series rear air bags, SCT x4 powerflash with gearhead custom tunes Srl , 8k tow, unlimited tow. 2010 forest river Cherokee 35ft TT
Old 10-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Junior User

This is Odge's wife and it is MY TRUCK!!! And if I have to take any more cats that fall off that truck to the vet I'm gonna kill him!!!

Last edited by Odge; 10-30-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Elder User

bneafus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
This is Odge's wife and it is MY TRUCK!!! And if I have to take any more cats that fall off that truck to the vet I'm gonna kill him!!!
F...ing MEOW!!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Elder User

CanadaGuy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
30 psi is pushing the limits of the headbolts. I know somebody said 38 psi, but if you ask me, that's suicide!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:44 AM
Junior User

Thanks guys, I think I will stick with the set points I have. They seem to be safe by everyones standards.

It really is my wifes truck, I just get to maintain it. I stayed completely out of the decision making when she picked it out. She did a heck of a job though, it is a gorgeous truck.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:31 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
LMAO--I'm in a very similar situation. I however do get to drive it quite frequently, it's just not my daily driver.

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 10-31-2006, 04:31 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
30, 60, boost, egt, find, ford, gasket, head, max, maximum, model, odge, pound, revision, safe