1947 and older trucks Roll call! What do have and what are your plans!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:57 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gigemags05
I've been asking questions for months on this board but just ran across this thread.

This is the 1947 half ton flat bed I am working on. Currently rebuilding a 351w and c6 transmission to go into it.

I plan:
Motor and tranny swap
IFS
Rear end swap
sand blast body and frame and fix any rust issues (don't think there is anything major)
Gas tank relocation
paint
all new interior
wheels and tires

and basically just take it all apart and build it back up again.

I will begin disassembly within a few weeks. The engine is almost done. This is my first truck to work on. Only thing I've ever done is rebuild an old CJ7. This is WAAAY more involved so I will be asking tons of questions.
That's a sweet looking truck. Very solid. And I don't like flat beds but
this one looks damn good. To bad ya can't drive t around some before
tearing her down. Ya could have let her tell ya want she want's. Like the
IFS. Disk brakes, Soft ride springs, Power steer and lowering it is all
cheaper done with the straight axle. And its good for well over a 100MPH.
I just don't see the advantage of the cost of an IFS on a truck that will
always fly like a brick. It's money that can be well spent other places.
Believe it or not you can get all the performance and handling out of
the straight axle that old truck can handle. If ya can ever get a chance
to drive a truck with an updated stock axle, Than one with a several
thousand dollar IFS I don't think you would see enough difference to
warrant this mod. I didn't. Just trying to save ya some funds and maybe
6 months to a year of unnecessary work. But how ever ya go start a build
thread if ya haven't and we will work with ya to get what ya want. It's
what you want that matters. I am just saying to be sure of what ya want
and is it worth the cost and labor. If ya have only ever built a CJ are ya
sure ya can do the IFS and other mods? Or will ya have to farm that work
out to a shop. $$$$$

Old 12-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Gigemags05
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am definitely not sold on the IFS. I go back and forth. I really would love to drive one that has it vs one that doesn't.

I FOR SURE want power steering and disc brakes.

As far as doing the work myself, I am a good welder and have helped do some suspension work with a buddy. He is a little more experienced than I am with some of the fabrication, but I have no doubt that we can do it.

Whatever I choose will be done correctly, no matter how long it takes. I want to make sure this thing lasts for many, many years.

I am afraid I will spend the $$ upgrading brakes and steering with the stock axle and then wish i'dve spent the money on IFS.

When I got it, it had a Lincoln 337 flathead in it with no transmission. I looked all over the country for a transmission that would fit the 337 but had zero luck. That engine was going to be incredibly (unfeasible) expensive to rebuild, too.

I will start up a thread when I get to taking it apart.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Idahobob
Freshman User
Grandpa's 47

I have a 47 Ford 1/2 ton. Plan on making it as original as possible, within budget, except for the drive train and you'll have to look close to see it.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:21 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a friend who has front stubbed a few old Ford pickups with the late 80s style Crown Vic front stub. My other friend had one in a 69 shortbed and it seemed kinda mooshy.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:27 PM
white 66
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice COE tonner

Originally Posted by WQ59B
Problem there is, my 'after' pics aren't going to look quite so different, as I am not restoring it cosmetically, at least not in the foreseeable future. Most of the recent work has all been underneath: fuel system, brake system, axle, wiring, seats, floor boards, etc. Things of that nature.

Bobbed the rails, added rear crossmember, added tails & 3rd stop light:

Fab'bed dual exhaust, since welded & installed:

Floor, since stained & installed:
Missed this post the last round. Good to see another one saved. Nice work.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:48 PM
1986OhioF150
New User
Hey guys. This is my grandpa's 1931 Ford Model A pickup. It has been sitting in his driveway back in California for years and now it is out here with me. It is about an ignition coil and some wiring away from running, but I will replace brakes and other such things so I can drive it around in the spring. At some point, I plan to do a full restoration of it.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 AM
WQ59B
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by white 66
Missed this post the last round. Good to see another one saved. Nice work.
Thanks, I'm tryin'. Should be on the road for it's 75th, after sitting for close to 40 years.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:30 PM
CLAYtheORIGINAL
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
47 1/2 ton

Little red 47 1/2ton here in clarkston, mi !
Inherited the truck from my grandfather Bob (incase the local car guys are here .).
It sits with a 73 302 4 speed auto w/ a 69 camaro rear end. I will probably just tune everything up and cruise it around until Woodward dream. Possible a small build on the 302 next winter.

1947 Ford 1/2 ton

Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad's 41 at a car show in October. Still need to have the stock speedo guide speedo restored and a few other odds and ends but it is a blast to drive and enjoy. It has been in the family since new.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 AM
Ianrhall
New User
44 half ton

I have a 44 pickup on its way to me in the uk, would like to post some pics if someone could tell me how
Thanks
Ian

Old 01-01-2015, 01:39 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ianrhall
I have a 44 pickup on its way to me in the uk, would like to post some pics if someone could tell me how
Thanks
Ian

Here is how to post pic's on FTE

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-guide.html

Here is one way by "Axracer"

Do you have digital pix of your truck from digital camera or phone on your computer? If so it is easy to add them to a post (assuming the file is not too large). Find the pic on your computer and leave it open while you come here in another window. Compose a post, click where you want the pic to appear in the post. Click on the picture icon at the top of the posting box (looks like a postcard with mountains and sun) A dialog box will open asking if you want to drag a pic onto the box or browse your computer to find it. If you have the pic open, go there, right click anywhere on the pic and chose copy from the menu. Come back to your post and right click on the box. Select paste from the menu. Your picture should appear (it may take a few seconds to load) in the box. Now left click on the insert button.
If the stars all aligned your picture should now be in your post window. Select post to have it appear on the forum or repeat to add more pix. Some cameras make huge files these days that are larger than the forum limits. You may need to resize or resample the picture and save the smaller file version with whatever picture editing software came with your picture taking device before you can post it.

Oh! and welcome to FTE and the old truck madness.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:17 PM
white 66
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Crewcabber

My dad's 41 at a car show in October. Still need to have the stock speedo guide speedo restored and a few other odds and ends but it is a blast to drive and enjoy. It has been in the family since new.
Very nice p/u. Love the 41's my self.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:21 PM
ttoldcarbuff7
Freshman User
New 47, well sort of. This weekend I purchased a '47 1 ton with nothing on the back frame. At least I was told it is that. It does have duals in back and a flat head in front. Vertical grill bars and a great look. I would like to find out as much as I can about this early Ford and the models, parts interchange, engine options, etc. The first that I have had. I add it to my 31 Model A, 54 Triumph TR2, 55 International 110. But I need help on the 47. Can someone point me to reading sources?

Mark

Old 03-31-2015, 05:37 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Welcome to the best Ford truck forum on the net Mark.
I would suggest that you start a build thread In this 47 and older
truck forum at the top of this page. Also let the guys know
in the 48 to 56 forum what you have and want to do as well.
We are a great bunch of guys and gals and want to help all we can.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ttoldcarbuff7
New 47, well sort of. This weekend I purchased a '47 1 ton with nothing on the back frame. At least I was told it is that. It does have duals in back and a flat head in front. Vertical grill bars and a great look. I would like to find out as much as I can about this early Ford and the models, parts interchange, engine options, etc. The first that I have had. I add it to my 31 Model A, 54 Triumph TR2, 55 International 110. But I need help on the 47. Can someone point me to reading sources?

Mark
Welcome to FTE! You are already at the best reading source. You most likely have a 1 1/2 or 2 ton truck because of the dual wheels. It could be a tonner that someone swapped the rear axle in. If the wheelbase is 122" with 17" wheels, it's a one ton, longer and 20" wheels it's a big truck. Oftentimes the big trucks are passed over in favor of the 1/2 tons, but there are some of us here that prefer the more beastlike nature of the larger trucks. Of course we are waiting for some photos of your new prize.

Quick Reply: 1947 and older trucks Roll call! What do have and what are your plans!!