Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The Great Guage Debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:38 PM
priv8pilot
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The Great Guage Debate

So I am sitting here this fine Sunday evening thinking how It is time for my next mod on my 2002 Powerstroke. I am reading about the DP tuner WITCH (play on halloween) will be my next mod after the guages. I know I want the pillar mount setup but the big question is WITCH (another halloween word play) set of guages do I want? I have spent the last 2 hours looking at guages and the more I look the more confused I get. SOOOO Please tell me what type you have, What you spent, where you got them, how hard were they to install and what your opinion is about them after you installed them.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine at www.puredieselpower.com They are Autometer Sport Comp II, and they match the stock dash and needles perfectly. I'm not good at wiring, so i spent an extra $75 for them to paint the pod, and install and wire them into the pod. All i had to do was install the pod in my truck, and hook it up to the senders. Typical three are Auto transmission temp, Exhaust gas temp, and boost. I paid $400 shipped for mine, but if you are a good electrician you can wire them yourself and save $75

Old 10-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EAsy install www.dieselsite.com I got the Pantom II's because i thought they looked cool, but Dipricols are alsmost a factory match and can be found at www.puredieselpower.com

At night the colors reverse (White Numbers and black dial)
I am swapping the trans with a full sweep version next weekend but other than that very happy with them. They arent as tilted as they look it is the camera angle

Old 10-29-2006, 08:53 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Right now I have a Pyro and trans gauge made by SPW. Paid $94 total for the 2. I installed them in the dash (thanks again MrBass) and they have the smoke glass. With the key off, you cant see them. They are nice and bright with the truck on though. Didnt take long to install them either. One of these days I'll have to put some pics in a gallery.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Dipricol Optix for me. About $400 with wiring kit and painted pod. Real easy to wire up. I used those eyebolts just in case I had to take the pod back down and fix something but they worked first attempt. I liked the eyebolts so much, they are still there. You can hang all sorts of stuff off of them. Seriously though, a real good match and they have a real cool green glow at night. None of this using a magic marker cheese.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 PM
MikeSDK
Elder User
I got Isspro's in a cubby mount from Kensperformancesolutions.com

Excellent guy, great customer service. Got mine for under $300 delivered.
I'm not as technically savvy as probably most are, so it took me a couple weeks to get everything hooked up (5 yr old and 2 yr old kids as well = minimal time).

If I had to do it over again, it would take me 1 hour and I'd be on the street.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Ford Truck Racer
Elder User
I got the isspro's cause they are 270 degree sweep electrical and match the factory dash. Paid around 280 I think from diesel performance parts.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
lionsteve
Senior User
No one is saying what gauges and in what order, from top to bottom, they have. I hate to think of spending 4 notes then not liking the order of the gauges. Yea I know they can be changed but not without a lot of work.

Steve

Old 10-30-2006, 06:16 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
The top-most one is closest to your eye, so i put the one that moves the most frequently there: Boost (for me anyway ). Below that, i have the EGT, and below that, the tranny temp, which has a broken sender so it never moves.

Hey i found a pic of the gauges i have. The lighting is bad because it was taken in the dark. I need to get a better one.

Last edited by PowerstrokeJunkie; 10-30-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:28 PM
powrstrkn'
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have autometer z series in a pillar mount. They came from pure diesel power. $300 shipped and painted. I have them set up like Strokin's

Old 10-31-2006, 12:33 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I've got some Autometer Carbon Fiber (I wanted to be different) gauges in a 4 pillar mount. From top to bottom, they are fuel pressure, pyro, boost, and trans temp. Pyro, boost, and trans temp are the ones that are most important. The fuel pressure gauge and 4 pod mount came from Pure Diesel Power. The others I got previously from ITP. I don't remember the prices though.

And, I'm getting ready to put in a few more gauges. I'm putting in oil temp, oil pressure, and water temp in a 3 pod windshield mounted console. Gauges showed up today, pod should be here later in the week. It will be a couple weeks though unitl I can get them in.

Gauge order is completely up to you. I put trans temp at the bottom, because it's the one I watch the least. If I had to do it over, I would swap my boost and pyro gauges, to be set up like strokin has his. Even though that would put the pyro farther away from you, I think it's easier to read quickly, as your eye doesn't have to adjust its focus as much.

Here's my current setup:

Old 10-31-2006, 02:21 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
As far as I get from all the reading I have done, the biggest "debate" is on the Boost gauge. Correct me if I am wrong, but it's mainly a "cool" factor unless you decide to disable the stock features of the wastegate to see the gauge rise beyond the stock limits. Other than that, if you have a pyrometer, you will know when you have a loss of boost. Higher temps and less power are the give away- but when doing in depth diags the boost gauge really helps. Again, correct me as this is just some input I got from a diesel mech.

Order of gauges, are up to you. The 2 gauges I have are mounted in the dash. Now I am thinking I want an AMP meter and coolant temp gauge. I'll have to figure out a place to put those...

Last edited by empiretc; 10-31-2006 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:08 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jtharvey
I've got some Autometer Carbon Fiber (I wanted to be different) gauges in a 4 pillar mount. From top to bottom, they are fuel pressure, pyro, boost, and trans temp. Pyro, boost, and trans temp are the ones that are most important. The fuel pressure gauge and 4 pod mount came from Pure Diesel Power. The others I got previously from ITP. I don't remember the prices though.

And, I'm getting ready to put in a few more gauges. I'm putting in oil temp, oil pressure, and water temp in a 3 pod windshield mounted console. Gauges showed up today, pod should be here later in the week. It will be a couple weeks though unitl I can get them in.

Gauge order is completely up to you. I put trans temp at the bottom, because it's the one I watch the least. If I had to do it over, I would swap my boost and pyro gauges, to be set up like strokin has his. Even though that would put the pyro farther away from you, I think it's easier to read quickly, as your eye doesn't have to adjust its focus as much.

Here's my current setup:

Those gauges really look great. I liked them in person too. I assume you got the same type of gauges for the top? It works well with your black truck and tan interior, the CF and the background words are the perfect color.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:55 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Thanks Kris. I did indeed get the matching CF gauges for the other 3. I think I have almost all the CF autometer gauges that Autometer makes, that would be applicable for a diesel truck - except for a voltmeter and...nitrous pressure. Those two wouldn't be coming anytime soon though.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:28 AM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
Have you looked at the Quadzilla Commander? I had a 4 gauge pillar pod in my 05 for about a year. Its very nice to have my windshield back. Dont forget the TS Headsup display. Just some other options.