Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dome light wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:52 PM
GubNi
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dome light wiring diagram

I have a 1996 crewcab F350. When I bought it the dome light did not work on the drivers door. It worked everywhere else though. I could also see the sensor was broken. I got a new sensor and same problem. I checked the sensor on my 2 door truck and it was fine. I checked the wiring on my two door truck and the green wire had power. On my crewcab none of the three wires had power to them. I traced the green wire (with yellow stripe) and it goes along the drivers carpet edge towards the back of the cab. My question is where does it go? There's probably a bad connector where ever it connects.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:32 PM
95X15
Senior User
Need some more info - does the overhead lamp work or is the door light the only one that doesn't work? The light blue/yellow lead should have power to the left front courtesy light switch in the door jamb; the red/pink lead provides power to the warning chime and the Black/light blue lead powers the lamps - all of them when any switch is closed.
Does the lamp light up when you rotate the dimmer portion of the light switch all the way to turn on the inside lights? If so there is a connector under dash by the brake pedal with a light green/yellow lead and black/light blue lead - check it. the black/light blue lead is powered by the black/light blue lead from the headlight switch dimmer portion.
Reference 95 wiring diagram for crew cab w/o keyless entry.
Hope some of this helps.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:52 PM
GubNi
Junior User
Originally Posted by 95X15
Need some more info - does the overhead lamp work or is the door light the only one that doesn't work? The light blue/yellow lead should have power to the left front courtesy light switch in the door jamb; the red/pink lead provides power to the warning chime and the Black/light blue lead powers the lamps - all of them when any switch is closed.
Does the lamp light up when you rotate the dimmer portion of the light switch all the way to turn on the inside lights? If so there is a connector under dash by the brake pedal with a light green/yellow lead and black/light blue lead - check it. the black/light blue lead is powered by the black/light blue lead from the headlight switch dimmer portion.
Reference 95 wiring diagram for crew cab w/o keyless entry.
Hope some of this helps.
When the drivers door is open no lights are on. Any other doors works like normal. IE: open rear door and dome lights come on.

The dome light works as it should and will turn on with the dimmer switch.

The light green - yellow wire from the door switch has no power. I traced it back to the carpet beside the seat and still no power. I want to find the other end of this wire so I can plug it in or fix the broke connection.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 PM
GubNi
Junior User
There's a junction beside the drivers seat under the door sill. That junction was badly corroded. I spliced in some new wire with heat shrink and it works good now.