1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering Box on a 51 f-1

Old 10-20-2002, 09:59 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Steering Box on a 51 f-1

Old 10-26-2002, 02:47 PM
dan38
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Steering Box on a 51 f-1

Hi Guys,
Need a little help. Has anyone got a pic, and instructions for putting the steering box back togeather. I have all the new parts, and have had it apart for some time, and kind of lost track on how to re assemble. I just want to make sure I assemble correctly, and if there is a specific procedure for this. You can fax me any info as well at 204 275 7293
Thanks for any help
Dan
51 F-1
FLAT 8
LOWERED :-staun

Old 10-27-2002, 09:35 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Steering Box on a 51 f-1

Hang in there - I don't have time to dig out an answer for you right now - later today I'll try to get something up here.

Old 10-27-2002, 10:29 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Steering Box on a 51 f-1

One of the best things you can do for your truck is to buy a shop manual. It has an expoled view of how the box goes together.

Nathan

Old 10-27-2002, 09:02 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Steering Box on a 51 f-1

I agree with Nathan about the shop manual - you want one if you do anything on your own truck.

If you have everything apart, here's a general order of assembly.
Inside the top of the box is a race and tapered roller bearing. Then the steering shaft with the worm gear attached followed by another tapered roller bearing and race.

For now just put the bottom cover on with the bolts turned in enough to keep things from falling apart, and don't use gasket/shims yet.

Now from the side of the box - (the brass bushings support the shaft of the sector roller) insert the sector roller GENTLY into the gearbox, connect the adjusting bolt and place a gasket and cover plate on it. The adjuster threads thru the cover plate and you want it turned all the way out.

Once everything is in place you'll need to set bearing pre-load and that's accomplished with the shim gasket papers included in your kit. Next is to adjust the worm/sector mesh.

The adjustment of the box works by the adjusting bolt pushing the sector roller into the threads of the worm gear. When all the adjustment is gone you likely have a gearbox that both the worm gear and the sector roller are destroyed.

This only covers assembly order - not adjustment - that's a whole 'nother topic.

Last is to place the felt 'washer' over the sector shaft before installing the pitman arm. Hope this helps some - I couldn't get anything scanned today, but if you email me at mtflat(No Email Addresses In Posts!) I'll try to get what you need. Most diagrams/instructions I have are sketchy at best, including those in the shop manual.

Search this Thread