MAF brands

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 08:02 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF brands

I have heard alot about granatelli's MAFs having a wide tollerance, meaning one will not show the same voltages at the next at the same air flow.

So I am looking at Sniper's Armor MAF, 95mm.
Pro M's 85mm
or a ford lightning MAF.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Old 10-29-2006, 01:24 AM
pronstar
Elder User
IMHO a different/larger MAF offers minimal gains at best unless you go to forced induction (blower, turbo, etc.)

Personally, I've not seen them make any difference on a dyno on a minimally modded truck.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:20 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Well, I am not ready to jump into the motor yet, so I am taking care of the odds and ends I'll need when I do. I will be eventually running p&p heads and cams and possibly a whipple in the future. I have, K&N intake, headers, exhaust and tune. The heads and cams should like bolt-ons like MAF and throttle body.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:13 PM
pronstar
Elder User
I know many guys with the mods you mention (my self included). Almost everyone I know runs a Lighting MAF and have had no trouble with it.

Have heard about a bit of tuning trouble with Pro M but a few guys eventually got it sorted out...don't know anyone who's used a Granatelli or Sniper.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:03 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I think I can pick up the lightning fairly cheap, and that was my primary concern with it. Any specific year? I would assume all 99-04 would be 80mm+ and integrated IAT.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:22 AM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
With any air meter, it really depends on the how well the transfer function is dialed in.

I've been running a Pro-M Univer for about a year and half and it has been working well. The transfer function needed wasn't spot on. I used a datalogger to dial it on while on the road and made tuning changes using that info.

The only reason to replace an air meter is if voltage output exceeds 5 volts, or what is refered to as "pegged".