propane injection

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:01 AM
ponch37300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
propane injection

I would like to look into a propane injection system. Are there any harmful sides to it or can my 7.3 use it without any problems? Is there a particular brand or setup that you would recomend or have had good experience with? I guess any advice would be helpful to me right now since i don't know much about it. Thanks

Old 10-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Yes there are possible side effects, worst case scenario a ruined engine.

Your 7.3 can use propane injection, just like mine does. It gives me more hp and helps my ole 96 keep up with my friends that have NBS trucks with 7.3 L PSDs.

If you go with a vapor phase system like the Powershot 2000, and take the time to tune it properly, you greatly reduce the probability of problems.

Best advice I can give you call Dale at Tymar he really knows his stuff.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:28 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
I was thinking of doing a home-brewed propane injection for a bit more power myself. What I've been looking at is the Impco T-60 Beam regulator with the vacuum lockoff feature. This regulator is commonly used for running small to medium-sized generators - up to 60 HP - on propane.

The way the T60 regulator is designed it has a gas inlet port and a gas outlet port, but it also has a third port to control gas flow. The third port hooks up to a vacuum source from the engine's intake manifold and uses engine vacuum to meter the fuel. Higher RPMs=higher vacuum=higer rate of gas flow. Conversely as the RPMS drop, the vacuum drops and the flow of propane is reduced. No vacuum (engine off) and the regulator acts as a lockoff and allows no gas to flow from the outlet. Basically a demand-based metering system.

My idea is to hook the regulator up to my propane tank using a first-stage adjustable regulator at the tank, and the Beam T60 as a secondary regulator. For the actual injection part of the system I'm thinking of a pipe with orifaces installed in the air cleaner inlet to ensure it mixes well with the incoming air. With the adjustability of the Beam regulator, and the adjustable first stage regulator at the tank, I think I should be able to "tweak" it easily enough to get a decent performance boost without over-fueling and melting the engine.

Naturally I plan on installing an pyrometer to monitor EGTs and help me with the tweaking process. Anybody see any drawbacks to this idea?

Last edited by CheaperJeeper; 10-29-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
There is another current thread on this subject. If you are thinking of a Do It Yourself system you should read it, especially the post by pokerface5

here is the threads URL
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...on-system.html