Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2006, 05:59 AM
Elder User

norvillebob is starting off with a positive reputation.
390 timing mark location

Hey folks,

I'm in a spot here and hope someone can help me out. How far away from the "0" mark on the pully is 10 deg BTDC. I can find the "0" but no other markings on my pully(internally dampened right?). Is it an inch or the length of a 1/4 dollar, nickle,,what ???? I need to set the base timing so I can adjust the carb and idle. Most seem happy with about 10deg btdc.

I was told by the PO I have a 1964 390 from a demo t-bird.

thanks

bob
Old 10-25-2006, 07:31 AM
FE "Freakin Expensive"

RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.
Best I can tell on mine in the cold dark with a flashlight its about a 1/2" away from TDC..

RJ
Blue Saphire 70 F250 436"CJ in Progress/Rollerized C6/4:10 Locker
Teal and Silver 96 XLT F150 4X4 302", EAOD, 3:55 Trac-Loc, Lock out Hubs, Daily Driver
Vista Blue 07 Mustang "Pony" 26K on the clock

Old 10-25-2006, 07:42 AM
Elder User

Thanks, RJ. That's what I'm looking for.

bob
Old 10-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Post Fiend

Bear 45/70 has a good reputation on FTE.Bear 45/70 has a good reputation on FTE.Bear 45/70 has a good reputation on FTE.
Get an adjustable timing light and you can use 0░, TDC for all your timing. I have never seen or heard of an internally dampened FE. I have however, heard of a dirty damper so you can't see the marks. I don't think I ever saw a factory damper without at least 10░ marked and most have 30░ marked.

"Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless."
Gustave Flaubert (1821-1880)
Old 10-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Elder User

HMM , well perhaps I'm wrong. To me it just looks like 2 seperate pully wheels bolted together. I'm new to FE's.

So anyway. I think my mark is way off. It reads about 20deg to the passengers side or down side. When I get it closer to "0" CCW is retard and the closer I bring it to "0" the worse it gets. and Then I get the "hot start" issue and then it diesels. If I keep it about 20 adv?? it starts nice and no over-run. ???

The Vac adv is plugged. and I cannot find any vac leaks. At low Idle it's about 16Hg then 20Hg at about 1k rpm. The Edelbrock is set at 1.75 turns out. Engine was about 180+190 temp.

Any ideas?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Post Fiend

Bear 45/70 has a good reputation on FTE.Bear 45/70 has a good reputation on FTE.Bear 45/70 has a good reputation on FTE.
So check the TDC. Pull #1 plug and get the piston as close to TDC as you can and check the mark.

"Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless."
Gustave Flaubert (1821-1880)
Old 10-26-2006, 06:27 AM
Elder User

update

I found the marks and yes I was reading it bass ackwards.

Still. It seems to like 22deg that seems high. If I try to bring it in I get clatter and hard starts. Can this be correct? Am I not using enough idle screw on the carb. Could the PO have the cam degreed? +/- . I pulled the No 1 plug and it seems correct with the mark on the wheel. I'm lost here. I was running out of light.

I can get it to idle OK in park @ 650/700 rpms but then in gear it stalls. So If I bump the idle to 900 in park it'll hold 600/650 in gear but it wants to take off on me.

Could this be a vac leak I cant find??? My manifold is vibrating between 16 and 19 Hg

I'll have to pull #1 again and check it. Is there any reason the timing could be so high??

thannks

bob
Old 10-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Postmaster

Redmanbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Redmanbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine was doing a similar thing on me. As instructed I tried running it off the man vac line just to see. got it to idle 850 @10║ like that. switched it back to ported to see what it would do and it was ok with a slight idle adj.. ?? seems to like 12║ a little better but we'll let some time pass as it's a fresh build.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/vacuum.asp maybe this will add some advise on the vacuum...
Old 10-27-2006, 06:20 AM
Elder User

Just a quick up date.

The timing is set at 15btdc I hade to crank the idle up some. TDC is TDC I rotated the enging and man that piston comes up high in the hole.

So, I'm thinking I'v got a vac leak somewhere?? I replaced the booster line, the dist line, the manifold vac line, and the short line from the manifold to the hard line to the tranny.

I hosed down everything around the carb and vac lines with carb cleaner. Is there a soft vac line at the tranny??? Or the modulator?????

It''s idle is at 850-900 and drops to 600-650 in gear and doesn't surge in gear anymore but it's still not right.

the vac measured from the manifold port at the carb "vibrates" from 11 to 17 at idle. But give it some gas at she sits rock solid at 20hg???? Edlebrock 1405

Thoughts???

Hey Bear, I have a siamese mauser in that cal. one of my favorites.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:26 AM
FE "Freakin Expensive"

RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.
Just a quick note...Is the carb tight to the intake?

RJ
Teal and Silver 96 XLT F150 4X4 302", EAOD, 3:55 Trac-Loc, Lock out Hubs, Daily Driver

Old 10-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Elder User

RJ, Best I can tell. I poped the carb off and the gasket was dry/clean and like new. I won't overtighten it cause I've broken ears before. There was no change. I think I'll stop but the parts store and pick up a new one anyhow. They are cheap.

I do know the PO had this carb off the truck for a year or so and running on another vehicle. That gasket is a good place to focus. I really thought the carb cleaner would bring that out.

thanks,

bob
Old 10-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Postmaster

Redmanbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Redmanbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think it was Bear on another thread that mentioned using an unlit propane torch turned up just enough to hear it. Run it around the intake edges and carb base, other areas of concern and listen for a change in RPM..
Old 10-27-2006, 09:11 AM
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Yeah the carb cleaner should have done the same thing..unless there making it different now? LOL..you know Ozone stuff?? LOL

RJ

Old 10-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Elder User

RJ, I did think of that. It say's highly flamible. I'll try wd40. I don't like to use starting fluid.

bob
Old 10-27-2006, 09:31 AM
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Ya..OH NO dont use starting fluid !!! LOL....you wont have to worry about the motor any more...LOL..

RJ

Old 10-27-2006, 09:31 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428)

Tags
1964, 390, big, block, fe, ford, forum, location, locations, mark, marks, read, tbird, timing, timming