1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 F-3 extended cab, part II

Old 11-07-2002, 07:29 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadn't thought of that, but yeah, panel parts might be something for me to look for, at least for the hardware to latch the door, not sure if the actual door would work though, think they have more of a contour to it if my mind serves me correctly, but the guts might.
My other though would be to look at more recent ford vans that have the double rear doors. might be able to yank the hardware from one, but I need to get to the boneyard to look more closely.

Old 11-08-2002, 05:42 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts

[table width="600" border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#EDEBEB"]
[tr][td colspan="2"][FONT FACE="ARIAL" SIZE="3"]
Jon,

You can really keep a subject alive.

As for Roberts suggestion of using the rear doors from a panel I think it would be extremely hard to find a pair of doors that were useable. They are hard to come by and if you found a pair they would be very expensive. I have an extra pair that are in rough, but rapairable shape. I am going to keep them for spares in case someone rear ends me, that is if I ever get my panel on the road , because I know it will be almost impossible to find replacements.

[/TD][TD]
http://www.specialtycontrolpanels.com/truck/shakin2.gif
[/TD][/TR]
[tr][td][FONT FACE="ARIAL" SIZE="4" COLOR="RED"][B][/FONT][link:www.specialtycontrolpanels.com/trucksindex.html|Click Here To Visit My Truck Page][/td][/tr][/TABLE]

Old 11-10-2002, 08:20 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru

Hey bob, what can I say, I just keep asking questions, guess I just ask the right ones. Just got back from a long road trip and had a 10 hr drive to do some thinking and figuring on this whole subject. Think what I am going to do is a 4 door extended cab with suicided rears. as far as latches go, I found latches out of one of my hot rod magazines that should be able to work, and aren't too expensive (and a name I have heard good things about).

While I was at the mall (went to the Mall of American in Minnesota, fun colllege road trip) I found a book that should help me a bit with the techiques I need to make my rear doors from a set of front doors (book on doing chop tops... no I am not chopping ths truck, just has good stuff on cut lines and modifying windows)

My main concern now is collecting the bits and pieces I need from another cab. My problem now is that all the yards I'm use to going to have crushed anything of this age, or sold it already, so any help would be appreciated from you all (the parts I need could probably be taken from a junk cab). What I am needing is basically the top and rear sections of the both door frames. I figure I may have to road trip to get them, but I'm young (and crazy) so we'll see what I can find and how many hours I have to drive to get them. I got a lot of work to do before then though, like trying to figure out all my cut lines and how to rebuild the floor. Aye, the insanity of it all, oh well its fun, and will be worth it in the end. Keep any comments coming if you have them, Thanks a bunch.

Jon

Old 11-12-2002, 02:32 PM
calgearhead
Junior User
Post 1952 F-3 extended cab, part II

>looking at things, I think I may avoid going the 4 door
>route. In my mind at least it seems like it would be a lot
>more complicated than doing a simple extended cab. I may
>however look at maybe doing a 3 door version (suicide door
>on drivers side) but we'll see. would end up with basically
>a half width door on that side. I think I'd end up having to
>pirate some parts from a newer truck that had that type of
>door for locking hardware.
> Anyways, I do more figuring on this, see if it would be
>feasable.. any suggestions would be welcome.
>
>Jon
>

I have a picture of a 1952 crewcab I created by cutting up another truck. It looks good and I will try and post them as soon as I find a color scanner.

Old 11-12-2002, 05:44 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated. I do have an idea of what I want to do, but maybe seeing another truck already done will help me figure out some details.. Thanks

Jon

Old 11-20-2002, 02:31 PM
calgearhead
Junior User

I was going through my Ford Truck book collection and I have a book on Ford Medium/ Heavy duty trucks and inside they have a picture of a 1948 "Sleeper" Cab and it looks like it uses a quarter window from a coupe for the extended cab quarter window. It is a factory aftermarket cab, but I don't have any info on it or what company made it. If I can find a scanner I'll post both pictures. It almost looks like your first drawing but with more or a curve to the rear of the window opening. How much are you going to stretch it?

Old 11-20-2002, 05:45 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru

I have actually seen a picture of a 48 with a sleeper, Bob J posted a picture of one in the first half of this whole discussion. I think he said that he talked to the owner and found out only about 8 were made.

As far as my project goes, I had decided to go with a 4 door cab with a 24 inch stretch, with suicided rear doors. I'm currently working on one more sketch of this, this time color coding what parts I'll be sectioning from what (might help some of you understand how I actually plan on doing this) as well as a draft of how I intend on welding up a floor frame using square tubing (to be covered in sheetmetal later). As far as rear windows go, mine will be rectangular. I think you'll understand how I'm gunna do this again once I get the newest draft up. I also hope to borrow a digital camera soon, so I can get progress photos up soon. I'll keep you updated.

Jon

Old 11-20-2002, 06:17 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru

Search this Thread