Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No intermittent wipers- wipers will not park after using washer?? No cost fix!!

Old 10-22-2006, 04:38 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Wink No intermittent wipers- wipers will not park after using washer?? No cost fix!!

I have been having trouble with my intermittent wiper feature and the windshield washer feature and parking of the wipers. For the last two years--since I had the truck. It is a 92 F150 with the intermittent wiper option.

My wipers wouldnt usually park --hardly ever.If I turned off the wipers and the wipers arms were vertical at the time--they would stay vertical when the wiper motor was turned off. If I used the washers--the wipers would continue to wipe--and wouldnt stop until the truck was turned off. And the intermittent wiper function wouldnt work--the wipers would work at normal speed and high speed--but wouldnt intermit the wiper action--because they wouldnt park momentarily.

I have done searches on this site and these problems are common. I read about Wiper Control Module issues and MF switch issues and wiper motor issue failures. These problems can happen and can cause these problems. But I would guess that there have been many wiper motors replaced unnecessarily to correct these problems

I found a possible no cost solution.

Pull off the top black connector on the wiper motor assembly. It will have a dark green lead and a black/orange tracer lead and a black lead. These leads are for the park function of the wiper motor. Take a digital tester and check for intermittent continuity between the top and middle terminals on the park motor assembly--the round housing on the driver's side of the wiper motor assembly. Check for continuity when the wiper is still moving--wiper on and key on. You should see continuty--for top 9/10s of the wiper stroke and the continuity should disappear during the last 1/10 of the stroke of the wiper--at the bottom of the windshield--the park area of the wipers.

If you dont see the circuit go open--or dont see continuity--remove the circular park switch housing cover--at least four plastlc clips--and bend the two floating contacts (that are on the back side of the park switch housing)-- towards the park drum and then reassembly the park switch cover and then check for a open between the two upper contacts on the park switch housing--you should see the circuit go open at the 1/10 bottom of the sweep of the wiper arms .If not--open the park switch housing again and again bend the floating contacts towards the park switch drum.

The park switch drum is driven off of the wiper motor by a worm gear and this rotating park switch drum causes the park cirlcuit to go open only when the wipers are at the bottom 1/10 of the windshield--the park area of the wiper arms.

It seems that the wiper motor has two battery circuits that energizes the wiper arms--one of which is controlled by the on/off switch on the dash and the other battery feed is from this park switch. If the park switch doesnt go open just at the bottom of the stroke--the wipers will never become intermittent and the wipers will never turn off after several strokes after turning on the washers and the wipers will never park at the bottom of the windshield!!

And what was confusing to me--about 10 percent of the time--the wipers would park before I did this fix. It would seem that these two floating contacts weren't pressing against the rotating park drum hard enough to make the circuit have continuity for 9/10s of the stroke of the wipers--and caused the wipers to stop in any part of the stroke of the wiper arm --and not park at the bottom.

Cheap fix--nothing to buy!! Just love these trucks!! Durable American engineering!!

Last edited by phoneman91; 10-22-2006 at 05:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phoneman91:
Old 12-03-2006, 06:44 PM
bobl-1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phoneman91
I have done searches on this site and these problems are common. I read about Wiper Control Module issues and MF switch issues and wiper motor issue failures. These problems can happen and can cause these problems. But I would guess that there have been many wiper motors replaced unnecessarily to correct these problems

I found a possible no cost solution.

Cheap fix--nothing to buy!! Just love these trucks!! Durable American engineering!!
Hi,

Excellent post. This fix worked great on my '92 F250.

Thanks!
<*BobL*>

Old 12-03-2006, 07:22 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good post and i added to your reputation.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:06 AM
_red rocket_
Senior User
phoneman91,

What you posted in this thread describes my situation exactly, at least the simptoms. I just purchased a '94 F250 less than a week ago and the only problem left on the 250 is the intermittant wiper issue as you have described in great detail. What blew me away is that fact that a depress of the washer function results in the wipers on at full speed and they can't be turned off until you shut the truck down.

My question to you is, do you remember a clicking sound coming from what seems like the right side of the dash when you move the intermittant setting? It sounds like a relay going bad but maybe that is a normal sound. Hard to tell because there is no normal sound to compare it to for me since it is still less than a week old/new to me.

I am going to have to investigate into what you have posted. Great description and now it has given me some hope to fix this without resorting to useless replacement of parts with no problem resolution. Now I just need to find the time to look into this properly.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:17 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
that is the wiper relay you hear.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 AM
lostin90s
Postmaster
yep the main wiper brain is the box behind glove box

Old 08-21-2007, 02:31 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by _red rocket_
phoneman91,

What you posted in this thread describes my situation exactly, at least the simptoms. I just purchased a '94 F250 less than a week ago and the only problem left on the 250 is the intermittant wiper issue as you have described in great detail. What blew me away is that fact that a depress of the washer function results in the wipers on at full speed and they can't be turned off until you shut the truck down.

My question to you is, do you remember a clicking sound coming from what seems like the right side of the dash when you move the intermittant setting? It sounds like a relay going bad but maybe that is a normal sound. Hard to tell because there is no normal sound to compare it to for me since it is still less than a week old/new to me.

I am going to have to investigate into what you have posted. Great description and now it has given me some hope to fix this without resorting to useless replacement of parts with no problem resolution. Now I just need to find the time to look into this properly.
Yes--the clicking sound behind the glove box is normal--but isnt the cause of your problem--I would bet. Thanks for the good words about my post--I just wanted to let other owners know that the fix may be easy and cheap.

Good luck to you!! Let me know if what I suggested in the above post fixes the problem or not. I got my fingers crossed!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:56 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a problem with my intermitten wipers not working on certain positions, but my only problem was the contacts inside the switch were dirty. But still, an excellent post.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User

You are the man!

Would have had this fixed quickly but I didn't realize the wiper motor assembly existed where it was and spent some time pulling off the blades and the cowl (?) cover only to find out the motor was right there in the engine bay on the top of the fire wall. Obviously, I still have some learning to do about the truck and where certain things are and how to get to them.

All three contacts were fouled with grease and dirt and I am not sure if they were bent away as well. I cleaned them and bent them towards the contact plate and everything is golden now. Works perfectly. Glad I continued to search for a free fix versus an expensive, frustrating journey down the spend money and fix nothing path. Thank you, another satisfied customer.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:08 PM
keithrhall
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worked great!

I cleaned my contacts as well as the two harness connector clips with some electrical cleaner spray and paper towels. Contacts were worn, and covered in brown grease. Afterward the wipers work perfectly. Thanks for the free fix!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:21 PM
TheCamel
New User
You guys ROCK!

This solution fixed my windshield wiper problem. You described exactly what the problem was and how to fix it. THANK YOU!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
I am glad to know that this thread has helped others with their wipers.

This is a great site!!

Old 11-28-2008, 04:56 PM
conqdad
New User
You are the man...exact same problem. Replaced a noisy wiper motor with a rebuilt unit and still had the problem. I assumed it was something in the switch. Tried your solution and what do you know intermittant wipers that now stop correctly and don't run amok after using the washer...thank you thank you thank you!

Old 11-28-2008, 05:24 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by conqdad
You are the man...exact same problem. Replaced a noisy wiper motor with a rebuilt unit and still had the problem. I assumed it was something in the switch. Tried your solution and what do you know intermittant wipers that now stop correctly and don't run amok after using the washer...thank you thank you thank you!
Thank you ,Sir!! I give me a good feeling to know that this two year old thread is still helping people.

This is a great site with great people !!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
i love these from the past posts that still help members today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No intermittent wipers- wipers will not park after using washer?? No cost fix!!