Nevada Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:67 Olfthfl

Any Comstock Cowboys fans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any Comstock Cowboys fans?

Our very own Comstock Cowboys traditioinal Country Music Band. Anyone here appreciate their music? Personally I think it is a refreshing escape from the pop sold as "country music" these days.
I just saw a sign today that said they are to be playing in Gardenerville this August 6th. Might be a good event for a chapter meet???

Old 07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
alanco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a bit far and a little to close to our Bonneville Speed Week trip. The get together for our "Scavengers Speed Team" is Wednesday the 9th, and we leave the next morning.
We are only 141 from Ely and 259 to Bonneville. If you want to meet up with us, we will be camping, (like ***** B) at the "bend in the road" from Thursday Night the 10th to Tuesday night the 15th, leaving on the 16th, back here to Kingston. Love to see anybody there.

Yes, I love classic country, and there is a new station in Fallon which plays it. AM 750, can get it all over Northern Nevada, and Central Nevada.

Alanco

Old 07-26-2006, 02:12 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
YUP!!! The hawg is good stuff. It used to be out of Reno on FM 107.7. Unfortunately they closed for several years, but Dee Gregory (owner) started it up again out in Fallon. Too bad it's not on FM. A little better sound on the FM, but at least the station did come back. I can pick it up in Gardenerville, Carson City and Reno (where I frequently go). Not too clear up on the mountain where I live though.
Comstock Cowboys are really more of a traditional "cowboy" style. Very tight band based out of Virginia City I believe.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:43 PM
alanco
Senior User
They are supposed to be adding FM but it will just be local in Fallon. Yeah, I know all about the Hawg story, and how they got closed up by the religious group that owned the station, because they got a better deal from another group. It also happened to Bob Carrol's station of old Big Bands.

Tim, I have another post to you on the California chapter (Norcal) Where do you live?
I lived in Gardnerville for 11 years, worked at Kirkwood for 5 years. I am originally (but like a long time ago) from Bishop. I know all the Eastern Sierra from Lone Pine up.

And as far as any country music, although I warn you I am a big Bob Wills fan, and I like the old stuff, but I also like cowboy stuff. You know John Tyson sings too?

Regards,

Alan

Old 07-26-2006, 11:37 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
No kidding, John Tyson? At first I thought you wrote Ian Tyson. That's another one, and I think he frequents out there in NorEastern Nevada too, Elko etc.
I'm just over the California side of the border, Markleeville. You've driven by it many times on the way to Kirkwood eh?...
Hey, when are you and Clint tying in. I'm off work tomorrow morning and wouldn't mind a brief rendezvous.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:00 AM
alanco
Senior User
I have a CD by Ian Tyson. I never had much use for Markleeville due to the wacky judge and the S.O. They had a poster at Kirkwood that said, "Go to Kirkwood on vacation, leave on probation." I sure liked the guy at Woodfords that had the store. How about that Shady Pines? Oh well.

John Tyson and another guy came out to do cowboy poetry and sing at the Eureka Opera House. They were, in fact, quite good. I got to talk to John. He is an interesting character.

Well, I have never met Clint as yet, but we will meet at Bonneville. One other question, you mentioned to Clint that you had a Robin Suburu Generator that you might want to part with. If you want to sell it, I might be interested. Let me know.
I am in hopes that we can get a good truck club going in Nevada. It would be fun. There was an F-100 club in Reno a few years ago. A guy who used to write for a magazine used to host it. I'm sure the club is extinct by now. When I lived in Truckee, there was a guy there who had a neat '56 F-100 4 x 4. It was an original Marmon-Herrington Conversion (the company that Ford sanctioned) and he lifted it and put F-500 front fenders on it and bigger tires. Haven't seen too many '56s fixed up like that. My '56 is under development in going from a F-100 to an F-250 and from a pickup to a flatbed. It wont need to be lifted.

Nice chattin' with you,

Alan

Last edited by alanco; 07-27-2006 at 01:02 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 07-27-2006, 03:25 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Ooooh I've got judge stories for ya. Not here though. Sometime later we'll talk. There is a new one in place now, that I have heard is okay. I haven't had the opportunity (or summons) to meet him first hand, yet. Knock on kirkwood for luck...
I'll send you a PM about the generator.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:36 PM
davethecow
Elder User
Haha thats funny,i know Dee Gregory.He is a friend of mine.I always tell him that one day im going to blow that station to bits,or at least knock down ther tower.
Here in fallon it drowns out am 780,and thats the only station i listin to.
Plus im no big fan of country music.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:04 PM
alanco
Senior User
A friend of KHWG

Well, you could always just stream KKOH from the internet....You must be real close to the KHWG Tower. Where is it? I have looked for it and have never seen it or its lights.

You are my closest Norcal/Nevada Chapter member. I'm in Kingston at 140 miles from you. KHWG comes in here better than KKOH, but not in the house where the power lines are too close. Besides KKOH at night doesn't hardly get to Fallon or Hawthorne. I listen to talk radio on C-band satellite.

Regards

Alanco

Old 08-05-2006, 08:10 PM
davethecow
Elder User
The tower is just south of town on the highway.I hear ya on the dieing out at nite,it seems at about 5:00 the signal from koh just dies.
I know kingston,been to the pond a few times,and i go hicking up in ther somtimes.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:34 PM
alanco
Senior User
Kkoh

KKOH is one of the "drop in" 50,000 Watt AMs that has to not interfere with the original station on 780, KMAQ in Chicago. So at night, it switches to directional towers and its signal is beamed west. That's why there is no signal at nilght to the east. The switching time is sunset. The big station in Vegas, KDWN on 720 does not have to use a directional tower and it comes in just fine up here. KHWG is 10KW on 750 Day and night with a single tower. It can get interfered with easily at night.

Regards,

Alanco

Old 10-08-2006, 01:39 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=alanco]They are supposed to be adding FM but it will just be local in Fallon. Yeah, I know all about the Hawg story, and how they got closed up by the religious group that owned the station, because they got a better deal from another group. It also happened to Bob Carrol's station of old Big Bands.

Tim, I have another post to you on the California chapter (Norcal) Where do you live?
I lived in Gardnerville for 11 years, worked at Kirkwood for 5 years. I am originally (but like a long time ago) from Bishop. I know all the Eastern Sierra from Lone Pine up.

And as far as any country music, although I warn you I am a big Bob Wills fan, and I like the old stuff, but I also like cowboy stuff. You know John Tyson sings too?

Speaking of BOB WILLS. I was friends with a guy named Harvey Grossman. he died several years ago. His daughter and I where neighbors in Fernley in the 70s. Harvey played with BOB WILLS. He was a Fiddle player, that is in the Colorado Country Hall of Fame.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:38 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Kermmydog,
I think Alanco used to live in G-ville too, and I also think he used to commute to Kirkwood. I think I had this same conversation with him a few months ago.
Anyway, Markleevilee is my stomping turf. I probably have seen you on Highway 88 a time or two.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:49 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
Kermmydog,
I think Alanco used to live in G-ville too, and I also think he used to commute to Kirkwood. I think I had this same conversation with him a few months ago.
Anyway, Markleevilee is my stomping turf. I probably have seen you on Highway 88 a time or two.
I use to spend alittle time in Markleeville. Use to go to the Hot Springs in the old days. 70s-80s.
My wife was a Deputy Sheriff for the Douglas Co Sheriff's Dept. around the time of the Acorn Fire. I'm now in Northern Elko County.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:26 AM
alanco
Senior User
Another refugee from Western Nevada.....

Originally Posted by kermmydog
I use to spend alittle time in Markleeville. Use to go to the Hot Springs in the old days. 70s-80s.
My wife was a Deputy Sheriff for the Douglas Co Sheriff's Dept. around the time of the Acorn Fire. I'm now in Northern Elko County.
Kermmydog:

Worked at Kirkwood from 90 to 95. Lived in Gardnerville from 91-03. The California invasion into Carson Valley drove us out. Raised all the housing prices and the taxes so we couldn't retire there. We found a great spot in Central Nevada: Kingston. We were just in Elko Monday and Tuesday. Where are you in Elko county? Northern Elko only can mean Wildhorse, Mountain City, Jackpot, or Jarbidge, unless it is Northeast Elko.....

The Acorn fire really changed things up on the mesa, not many trees left. Carson Valley is so full of yuppies now that the entire culture has changed. Most of them haven't been as far east as Yerington...They all seem to have too much money.....

Alanco

Quick Reply: Any Comstock Cowboys fans?