Is 4x4 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 09:47 AM
knight82
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 4x4 worth it?

I am planning on buying a new F150 supercab that I hope to keep for a while. I don't think I'll be towing anything real heavy or often, but will be hauling things like drywall, mulch, firewood, 2x4's etc and your daily driving to and from work. For this reason I'm leaning toward the smaller 4.6V8 with auto. I haven't decided though on 4x2 or 4x4. I can see where 4x4 would be handy at times (winter, muddy areas, etc), but would probably be using 4x2 about 95% of the time. I would want the 4x4 to eliminate the need for a "winter" vehicle so i could sell my extra car and save that way. Any comments or ideas on the value of 4x4? Also, if I do go 4x4, is the electronic shift-on-the-fly worth having or just asking for trouble? Do you have to stop the vehicle to change to 4x4 if you don't have the electronic option?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2002, 10:59 AM
mantta
Posting Guru

Is 4x4 worth it?

Your situation depends on allot of things like; how hilly of a terrain do you have? How severe are your winters? What you are going to haul can be done with a Ranger. I live in eastern Virginia and you see allot of 4x4s but what do they use them for is beyond me. It is flat terrain, it very seldom snows, and as far as beaches to four wheel on, they are a long way away because it is illegal to do it on public beaches in Virginia. I guess having one is kind of a macho badge or something like that.

Old 03-26-2002, 11:04 AM
bisaksen
Freshman User
Is 4x4 worth it?

Go for the 4 wheel drive - you'll never need another vehicle. Full size rucks are terrible for traction without it. Personally, I prefer electronic shift. Otherwise you'll find yourself running in two wheel with the hubs locked all too often. This practice will hurt gas mileage.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:13 PM
knight82
Freshman User
Is 4x4 worth it?

Yeah I am leaning toward the 4x4 mainly because I want to go from 3 vehicles to 2 and be able to drive this thing all the time. I had a 2wd F150 standard cab a while back and it was bad even in just rain. We have some hills and get more ice than snow. Probably go for the electronic shift as well. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-27-2002, 01:57 PM
kylefort
Freshman User
Is 4x4 worth it?

uh, i do not believe that you have to lock the hubs on f-150's anymore. the shift on the fly is just for people who are too lazy to reach down and pull a lever. i am pretty sure of this, my friend has a 97 f-150 and there are no hubs to lock, jsut a lever to pull down. the shift on the fly is asking for trouble. with shift on the fly you are relying on computers and switches to keep you safe, with the good old fashioned lever you are relying on the auto-locking hubs and that is it. i would definitely get the 4x4 and inquire about the hubs, because if they are auto-locking then the shift on the fly is a waste of money. unless you really like cool little gadgets.

good luck and happy buying

kyle

Old 03-27-2002, 02:11 PM
knight82
Freshman User
Is 4x4 worth it?

The literature says the choices are center disconnect shift-on-the-fly (std) or electronic shift-on-the-fly (optional $160). What is the difference? They are both "shift-on-the-fly so whats the big deal about the electronic extra?

Old 03-28-2002, 09:45 PM
bisaksen
Freshman User
Is 4x4 worth it?

I must be out of date. Hell, if the hubs lock without you having to get out of the car truck I don't know what the big upgrade in electronic shift really is. In the old Suburbans, only electronic 4x4 shift meant you did not have to get out of the car. And on the old F250 you had to get out. I have electronic shift on the newer Suburban and I just assumed that was a must have. Could be wrong though.

Old 03-31-2002, 08:28 PM
jml
Senior User
Is 4x4 worth it?

I like 4 x 2's..... The snow up here never gets that bad....I am surely not going to take a new truck out in the wilderness like the commercials do. I'll reserve that for my old truck. Also...how much money do I save by not going for a 4 x 4? jim
67 f-100
48 f-1 restored..
http://www.48f-1.com

Old 04-01-2002, 07:13 AM
Petrol
Elder User
Is 4x4 worth it?

4WD will add approximatily $2500 to $3000 to the price of a new truck. 4WD will increase your insurance rates. 4WD will add weight to your truck (approx 400 lbs) which decreases your payload and slows accelleration. 4WD will cost you a about 1-2 miles per gallon. 4WD will also help on slick boat ramps, heavy snow and muddy camp sites when trailering. 4WD IS the only way to go for the serious offroader as well.

I personaly think that the majority of 4x4/SUV owners will never need 4WD. Many of these trucks will never be more then a couple feet off road when they park in the grass at their kids soccer game. Many more will remain parked in the driveway during the REALLY foul weather when it is almost a must. I have been driving 50k= miles a year through all kinds of conditions, in all parts of the USA for over 15 yrs and can count on one hand the times that 4WD would have TRULY been required. I will say there were times it would have made things a little easier, but a good level head and knowledge of abilities can get you through most anything short of real rock hopping (many times I have been in 12+ inches of snow)

If you choose to go with 2WD I do recommend that you get a LIMITED SLIP rear end, as I think that is something no truck should be without. Pickups in general are driven unloaded and therefor very light in the rear, with LS you get a lot more traction, compared to an open diff it's like night and day. I have it in all my work trucks(generally replace them at 150k) and then when the weather REALLY threatens I just put a 8' x 4' x 1/2" steel plate in the bed to get some weight on the rear, she goes through most any thing.

Petrol

Old 04-01-2002, 07:12 PM
JimCaudill
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is 4x4 worth it?

Another thing to do is check out the annual Consumer Reports auto buying guide (it just hit the stands this month). 4 wheel drive and Ford trucks don't play well together. The reliability suffers as the the repair costs skyrocket for thos with 4WD. As has been previously stated, only those that have a real need for this feature should consider putting up with the additional expense and aggravation. I had "limited slip" on my 1999 Lariat and I wasn't that fond of it. For driving on mostly dry pavement, it doesn't really do anything. If you drive onto construction sites, fields, or deal with snow a lot, it will get you moving whereas an open differential will leaving you looking for a tow (or at least a tug). I have been stuck on level ground with only an inch or so of mud at off-road construction sites.

Old 04-05-2002, 08:15 PM
50yellowbeast
Senior User
Is 4x4 worth it?

Like others have said. Its all depends on what you wnat it for. I bought mine mainly becuase I wanted to be able to go places no others could when I went camping and so forth. I didn't need it for around town for any reason. The only time I ever run it in 4 wheel drive is when I go camping or up to the snow.

After reading some of the posts. It may be true that your insurance goes up. But, I never experienced that. I have kind of an ideal truck for California. Exempt from smog and only costs about 400 a year for insurance. Although, I should mention they don't know its 4 wheel drive. Its registered as a 50 pickup. I will agree 4 wheel drive is an added expense with the upkeep. All depends on what you need it for and if your willing to spend a little extra time and money on it. i have never regretted getting 4 wheel drive thats for sure.

Old 04-05-2002, 11:46 PM
reddogg9807
New User
Is 4x4 worth it?