1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

heater question.....different than the others

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 04:57 PM
53choptop
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 53 f100 does not have a heater in it. The hole where the motor sticks out is there. Found one on an auction site (won't mention it, because it may not support this site and wont market them) anyhow, its described as a 53 Ford f100 heater, but the motor is enclosed in the box and not sticking out like the one my truck "should" come with. The heater core is exposed. i am planning on bidding on it, but just curious as to what type of heater it is. I have read about air recirculating heaters, and am guessing that is what it is because of the exposed core? What s the differennce? I have a pic but don't know how to post it. Thanks

Old 12-03-2002, 05:36 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

If the heater you are talking about is located in WI, it is a non recirculating type. The base level heater. I was checking it out myself.

'fenders

Old 12-03-2002, 07:54 PM
53choptop
Mountain Pass

Fatfenders

Yup, that's the one. Is that a 6 volt then? I mean if it hasn't been changed or whatever. So then the air recirculating heater has the motor sticking out into the engine compartment? What's the difference?

By the way nice truck .

Old 12-03-2002, 08:34 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

choptop,

Thanks and yes it is probably a 6 volt unless it has been converted. Motor hangs out in the engine compartment. The recirculating looks a lot larger and is more effective heater in my limited experience. I could take a picture of the recirculating heater in my attic some time if you would like to see the difference.

'fenders

Old 12-03-2002, 08:44 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

choptop,

Sorry, I am mixing my words up bad. The fresh air heater brings in outside air. This style just stirs the air already in the cab. Warming it of course but no air exchange to speak of outside the truck. Mor echance for foggy windows.
'fenders

Old 12-03-2002, 08:51 PM
53choptop
Mountain Pass

Well since Texas Winters do not get that cold this would be ideal for now. Will you be upgrading or keeping the original set up?

Old 12-04-2002, 12:17 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Although I think the fresh air model is the better heater, I will probably use the non-fresh air already in my truck and converted to 12V for now. I would like to have AC someday but have decided I should hold off until I find out if the truck is really all that I hoped for. Just one thing that can wait for now. There are aftermarket heaters in the $150 price range that are similar in design and marketed for use in Jeeps. 12V of course.

'fenders

Old 12-04-2002, 04:11 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post