1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Headviking
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm

I am looking into having a Remote start/keyless entry/ alarm installed in my 2007 Diesel. Anyone out there with some advise in products to keep in mind or to stay away from. I would prefer if the unit did it all with one key fob apposed to haveing two fobs with my keys. The more products I hear from the better, I plan to keep this baby awhile.

Headviking

Old 10-19-2006, 12:16 AM
sglynx1
Elder User
Viking,

I would suggest the Viper 791xv system. I've got it on my 2002 v-10 and it is very nice!! It has the remote start feature, keyless entry, alarm, and 2 way pager system. By that I mean that when you arm or remote start your truck... the LCD remote that comes with it displays what you've done... The truck actually sends signals back to the remote after it receives them confirming your actions. This is really useful.. you don't have to guess if your alarm is armed... it will say it on your remote. Also, if the alarm is triggered.. it will page your remote to let you know it is going off. It is a very nice system... but you have a very nice truck also, so I wouldn't want anything but a nice system on it. The range on it is like 1300 feet.. so it's got some distance. Google it and check it out... got mine for $549 installed.

-Casey

Old 10-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Headviking
Posting Guru

Now that's what I am looking for. A super system for a Super Duty. Thanks about my truck. I am vary paranoid about my truck. I park it away from everyone at the mall and when ever I come back there seems to be a mini van parked next to me, everytime. I will google the 791xv.

Headviking

Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 AM
sglynx1
Elder User
And you should be!! These trucks are not only the best-looking, most aggressive, powerful trucks on the market... but they are quite comfortable if I may say so! Also, you should note that the Viper 791xv is programmable with a diesel engine so it waits until the "wait to start" light goes out.. AND.. you can have it programmed to cool the turbo properly when parking. So the truck can stay on 2-3 minutes after you exit and arm it!! How cool is that?? There is one more system... I can't remember the name of it but it has the same features as the Viper, it just has a longer range (1 mile!!!) of 2 way paging. Isn't it funny how they always seem to park beside you?> No matter how far you out in the parking lot you are??? My truck is a 2002 and I'm still protective of her!! I relate the parking lot issue to the men's restroom issue.... When I go to the bathroom, I pick the urinal farthest away from any other guy in there... THEN, some guy comes in, and with 8 empty ones to pick from and me in the corner, decides to come down to the one by me... That ticks me off. Why not go to the first 5?? Oh well, life's tough huh? Especially when you got a bad-A truck like most of us here at FTE.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Headviking
Posting Guru

I will do some research on as many remotes as possible. On the issue of the mens room, I think I have the solution. If someone even looks like he may be heading in your dirrection lust look down at Mr. Happy and start talking to him as if you where scolding him for pissing on the leg of the last guy that stood next to you when there was more than enough stalls in the room. (grin)

Headviking

Old 10-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Netfly
Elder User
Here’s the info on the 791xv.
http://www.directed.com/gps/viper_responder.asp
I had one installed recently. Had a problem with the diesel tach signal at first. There are a few ways to install it. After a few changes it seems ok now. Nice features, many option settings. Didn't like that a few choices can only be set with a bitwriter, meaning the installer can do it, you can't. But you can change most. Overall it’s a nice unit. I like that it uses a regular AAA battery too.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 AM
05f250fx4
Senior User
try compustar as well. i am planning on getting a unit. www.compustar.com they have everything. remote start up to 1.25 mile range, alarm, 2way pager, diesel glow plug compatible

Old 10-19-2006, 06:18 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i also have a 791xv in my truck too... under the backseat. i bought it with the intention of a self-install, and once i opened the box, i realized that i wouldn't be installing this electrical nightmare. so, i have it there waiting for a free few hundred dollars to come along so i can get it installed.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:46 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

I have the Viper 5900, alarm, remote start, keyless entry, diesel compatible, turbo cool down, 1 mile range. I have tried it from around 3/4 mile and it does work from that far. It also has the 2 way pager like sglynx1. If you want to run into a convenience store just hit the * button twice remove the key from the ignition, lock the doors and the truck keeps running. For those cold climates hit the lock and unlock buttons at the same time and it will start up every 2 hours and run for 10 minutes then shut back down again. It also has the turbo cool down- hit the buttons and she will run for the preset time before shutting down. Everything it does will be confirmed on the remote. It can only be installed by a "certified dealer". It looks pretty simple and the guys I bought it from have installed many of them on F-250's and it still took them 3 hours to do the install. I also like the fact that the remote uses a AAA battery also. Next to the DP tuner one of the best investments I have done. Peace of mind, If some scumbag wants it there is no way to stop them but this will hopefully keep anyone except a pro from stealing your baby!

Last edited by RedBoat; 10-19-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:29 AM
sglynx1
Elder User
Hey guys,

My 791 has 4 fields -- Vibration, glass break sensor, toolbox (I did that because I could, and cause I keep several $1000 worth of tools in there), and lastly engine compartment (hood).

The glass break sensor is a new(er) thing... seems to be that you can break glass on a vehicle with a spark plug, or some other porcelain object and it will not register with the alarm.. there had been a rash of these type burglaries in Birmingham, AL. Even 791xv owners also had their vehicles stolen because of this! So they made an acoustic sensor that detects the frequency of the breaking glass... thus the glass break sensor. I'm not sure of the specifics... but I know it can be done. I would have thought it was BS if it wasn't for the fact I have several friends who went into law enforcement and they backed my dealers claim!!

Red is right, if someone thinks they need your vehicle more than you do.... it's hard to stop them (See: BearHntr). Even with today's technologies, there are ways around every bit of it... and the best criminal minds (Does that make sense??) know a few tricks. Anyways... compustar is the other alarm I was trying to think of... it has received some pretty hot reviews around here. I think either system from Viper (DEI) or Compustar (same parent company?) would be a good idea... I also tote my German Shepard around often --- he is a major deterrent!!

-Casey

Old 10-19-2006, 11:24 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It won't really matter what system you get if the install isn't done right. Whether it's a DEI line (Viper, Clifford, Astroflex, etc), Code Alarm, or CompuStar, it won't be anything more than an expensive blinking LED if the installer just simply stuffs the brain up underneath the drivers side dash, pulls all the necessary wires right at the ignition switch, and places the valet switch right next to that. And this seems to be the M.O. of most shops these days. They're main focus seems to be how many they can install and not how secure the systems going to be. So take the time to find out how the shop you're thinking of using does the job. Will they tap the wire's they need further away from the ignition switch? Will they hide the brain in a place that would require time and tools to access? Will they solder and heat shrink all connections, as opposed to crimp connectors? Will they blend in the alarm wiring with the factory wiring? I also recommend that you buy another valet switch and install it yourself in a place that only you and the people you trust know where it's at. Do this after you've tested the system and feel confident it's not going to have to go back to the install shop for fine tuning or repair, so not even they know where it is. And leave the old valet switch in place.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Headviking
Posting Guru

Good idea about how and where they make the connections. With all these suggestion I will be able to make a better desision as to what brand, who does the install, how the install in done. Thanks.

Headviking

Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Huhhhhh
New User
Thumbs up Bulldog 500 Deluxe

I bought the bulldog 500 deluxe for $129.99 at the link below and installed it myself. It's pretty straight forward if you have a little mechanical abality. I would advise against buying the T-harness for the ignition connections because sometime after 2003 they changed the ignition connector under the steering column and it didn't work on my 2006 F-250 XLT.

Deluxe Two-Way Remote Starter / Keyless Entry

Bulldog Deluxe 500 2-way remote Starter with Keyless Entry System has more than 30 programable features and is automatics or manual transmission capable.

(1)One 5-Button LCD Remote Two-way Transmitter
  • Two-way Transceiver
  • Auto/ Manual Transmission Capable
  • In-vehicle Temperature Monitor
  • Turbo Charge Mode
  • Timer controlled Automatic Start
  • 5/10/20/30 Run Timer
  • Button Lock
  • On- board Relays for Remote Start
  • Diesel Start Capable (Including Semi-Truck)
  • Starter Disable Output
  • Temperature Sensing Start
  • 1/2 Mile Range
  • Ignition Controlled Door locks
  • Keyless Entry and Starter Disable
  • Includes Step-by-step Instructional DVD

Last edited by Huhhhhh; 10-19-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
ktp934
New User
I found this on the internet:
http://www.ecarsecurity.com/Scytek_V...ard%208000.htm
it looks like it has comperable features, but it also has a camera that transmits pics to the remote. Does anyone have any info on this brand/alarm? How does it compare to the Viper? Thanks for your input.
Michele

Old 10-19-2006, 02:59 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ktp934
I found this on the internet:
http://www.ecarsecurity.com/Scytek_Vision_Guard_8000_p/vision%20guard%208000.htm
it looks like it has comperable features, but it also has a camera that transmits pics to the remote. Does anyone have any info on this brand/alarm? How does it compare to the Viper? Thanks for your input.
Michele
Welcome to FTE!
Scyteks are pretty good systems from what I've seen, but the camera feature is about as useful as a football bat. You'll be able to tell that yes, someone broke into your vehicle, but the picture quality is so poor you'll never be able to identify who it was. As far as a comparison with Viper, I really don't have enough long-term experience with the unit or experience with Scyteks product support to make that comparison, sorry.

Quick Reply: Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm