Need help getting started

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:12 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help getting started

I've read alot of posts, I've done a lot of searching, and I really want to start making my own Bio. My problem is that I can't afford a $3000 set up, and I am kinda limited on available space. I was looking for sugestions / instructions on how I can start a simple small operation in my garage / side of house. Do I need to wash it, and if not will not doing so save space? Thanks all for any advice!!

Old 10-30-2006, 06:41 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mongo75
I've read alot of posts, I've done a lot of searching, and I really want to start making my own Bio. My problem is that I can't afford a $3000 set up, and I am kinda limited on available space. I was looking for sugestions / instructions on how I can start a simple small operation in my garage / side of house. Do I need to wash it, and if not will not doing so save space? Thanks all for any advice!!

Your in luck! GirlMark has a biodiesel build class this comming weekend Nov 4-5 in Berkely Ca. You can register for her class here: http://www.girlmark.com/tour

She will be showing how to build an "appleseed" style processer, and usually uses kits from here: http://www.b100supply.com/index.cfm?...TOKEN=83982429

If you can't make it to her class, you can get all the info on building your own processer here: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org

Most people will tell you that you need to wash your bio, I however do not beleve in adding water to my biodiesel! I use Magnesol to clean my biodiesel. You can find more info on Magnesol here: http://www.fryerpower.com/store/page1.html

Good luck, and let us know if we can be of any help! FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:50 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Thanks Fabman- I won't be able to make the 600 mile trip though! I'll check out the other sites you mentioned, and maybe she'll have another class nearer to Orange/ LA county someday. Besides, I wouldn't want to go to Berkely and be misconstrued as a tree huggin' hippie LOL....

Old 10-30-2006, 07:07 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Thanks Fabman- I won't be able to make the 600 mile trip though! I'll check out the other sites you mentioned, and maybe she'll have another class nearer to Orange/ LA county someday. Besides, I wouldn't want to go to Berkely and be misconstrued as a tree huggin' hippie LOL....

Check out my gallery, The processer I built cost me less than $200, and I've made more than 8,000 gallons! I use a completely different processer that I designed myself, and I do not water wash my bio..............And I hear ya about the Berkely thing.......They would have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me anywhere near that place! <grin>

FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:57 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Fabman- do you have a "general" recipe you follow? I understand that you have to do a titration test first, but what about the amount / ratio of magnasol that you use? Any ideas on what the best chemicals are to do a test with are? And what do you think of the water heater "appleseed" processor for a newbie to making biodiesel- do you think this is a better way to start? Thanks!

Old 10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Fabman- do you have a "general" recipe you follow? I understand that you have to do a titration test first, but what about the amount / ratio of magnasol that you use? Any ideas on what the best chemicals are to do a test with are? And what do you think of the water heater "appleseed" processor for a newbie to making biodiesel- do you think this is a better way to start? Thanks!

I have an exact formula that I have developed for the oils that I pick up. I haven't titrated my oil in over 2 years. I've found that the titration results were always so close that I was not saving much money and wasting a lot of time for nothing. I made 1ltr test batches in varing amounts till I found a formula that worked for me. As an example: If you titrated your oil and figured out the exact amount of Lye required and mixed just that amount, then any water showed up in the mixture, the water will form a side reaction and "pull" some of the Lye out of the Methoxide forming soap. This will not allow a complete reaction, and has the potential to form "glop", thus waisting a batch of bio. By using slightly more Lye than required you will force the reaction to completion, thus saving the batch. since I've quit titrating I've not had a bad batch yet! My formula is 25 gallons oil + 5 gallons Methanol + 3pounds KOH

The amount of Magnesol required depends on if you remove the Methanol from the biodiesel first. I remove the Methanol first, so I can get by with less Magnesol I use 1 percent Magnesol by weight= 1 pound of Magnesol to 100 lbs of biodiesel. If you don't remove the Methanol first it requires 2 percent Magnesol by weight.

As to the appleseed processer this should express my thoughts on the matter: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ed-newbie.html
Post #2

For testing your Biodiesel go to http://www.biodieselcommunity.org They have all the info you need for testing your bio.

FABMANDELUX.