Heating WVO, what kinds of pipe to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heating WVO, what kinds of pipe to use?

I just had a thought while looking for WVO heating systems. Instead of the coolent heating the oil what about using glow plugs? Run the fuel in like a "L" shape (one side much longer that the other), the glow plug is submersed in the WVO and then makes the turn in the "L" and out. In the long side and out the short. To make the flow eaiser a lesser angle would be good. The idea is to switch to WVO sooner instead of waiting for the engine to warm the coolent to heat the WVO.

Also, what metals can you use and not use with WVO and Biodiesel?

Anyone find any flaws in the system?

Old 10-13-2006, 08:02 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Orpackrat
I just had a thought while looking for WVO heating systems. Instead of the coolent heating the oil what about using glow plugs? Run the fuel in like a "L" shape (one side much longer that the other), the glow plug is submersed in the WVO and then makes the turn in the "L" and out. In the long side and out the short. To make the flow eaiser a lesser angle would be good. The idea is to switch to WVO sooner instead of waiting for the engine to warm the coolent to heat the WVO.

Also, what metals can you use and not use with WVO and Biodiesel?

Anyone find any flaws in the system?
How are you going to get the thick WVO from the tank to your glowplug "heater"?

You should not use copper pipe with WVO or Biodiesel.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not finished mine yet, but my plan is to have it hot from a hot water heater element before I put it in the tank, then take a universal block heater and install it in the side of my tank, running off the battery, probably two of them, that way it will just keep it hot. And then run a small inline heater like what big trucks use on their diesel fuel way up north. And about that glow plug, if you let glow plugs glow much longer than they do when you start, they will burn out.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Orpackrat
Senior User
I plan to have a dc water heater element in the tank (tank in bed of truck) near the outlet. The glow plug would be completly submersed in the WVO to keep from buring out or a controller to limit the power if possible/nessary. Gravity would feed the glow plug heater. Insulated fuel lines to keep the heat and a vegtherm or two for the final heating.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:18 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont think a glow plug would burn out if it were emresed in flowing cool oil, however, there are better ways. I know that it sucks waiting for the motor to warm up, but exhaust is also a possible instant heat source. Glow plugs also take a lot of juice to run. There isnt enough juice in 2 batteries to be keeping oil hot for god only knows how long, and then starting the engine. The most hassle free idea is probably to use engine coolant to heat everything, but if you demand instant heating ability, i would start to mess around with a heat exchanger from the exhaust before putting electric heaters running off your 12v batteries.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:42 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.greaseworks.org/index.php...w&CategoryID=9
http://www.greaseworks.org/index.php...w&CategoryID=3

I am running WVO system with coolant heat only. I have an Articfox mid ranger and 18 feet of hose on hose system with a heated racor fuel filter and in the tank heat exchanger. I am going to add some type of 12 volt heating to the system for winter to help with preheating the tank. Articfox has 12 volt heating pads that glue to metal tanks.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Orpackrat
Senior User
I have thought about using the exhaust, second exhaust line to lower the temp and running a line through that. The Idea for the glow plug heating the oil is not to have it on all the time but only when the motor is running. To keep the oil warm in the winter a simple water heater element will be on. The glow plug heater would thin the WVO for its short journey to the heater before the injector.