1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:32 PM
PowerLines
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glow plugs

I know that 1997-F350 had a great thread on hard starting and glow plugs but I'd like to know that if it's hard to start when cold normally(with a bunch of white smoke) but starts right up with little or no smoke when it's plugged in overnight, does that mean bad relay? I changed the relay out a few months ago which seemed to work fine but then again it was hot out. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 AM
utahcrew
Senior User
Powerlines, My stroker did the same thing and last winter I replaced the relay but that didn't help me. When mine was pluged in no prob. starting in the winter but it would not start with out being pluged in. I just replaced all eight glow plugs seams to be better now, however it hasnt been cold yet, really. I believe if you go thru the trouble shooting stuff on the cold start thread you will find the prob. Changing the plug isn't hard, time consuming, PIA, but not hard. follow the instructions on the thread you'll be golden. the really smart guys on this site will help you out. If you have to change even one glow plug on each side I would recommend doing all four on each side. and check things out while in there. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powerlines, Are you sure you used a heavy duty GPR? Some sellers will give you a starter solenoid, looks the same, but won't last.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:02 PM
PowerLines
Senior User
well cuda, the one I replaced the stock one with looked just about the same as the original, I don't know if it was heavy duty or not. I got it off ebay in original package. Is the NAPA GPR-109 a heavy duty one or not? That seems to be cheaper than the one I bought, maybe I got a bad one?

Old 10-12-2006, 06:05 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no way to tell from looking at it. GPR 109 is supposed to be HD. Next cold start jump the 2 big terminals together for a minute or so then start it. This bypasses the GPR. IF it starts good the GPR is bad.