Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

My '63 was vandalized....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool My '63 was vandalized....

Had the driver side window shot with a BB gun or the like. The window was still in, but it was spiderwebbed and you could see where the shot hit. On the up-side, the local news, KWQC channel 6, did their live report next to my truck so it was on TV. At the time the count was over 70 vehicles that had been hit all over Davenport. At least mine won't cost much to replace and I have another vehicle to drive until I can get it fixed. My neighbors mini-van had an $800 window taken out of it. I can't get too upset about it, I guess - I know of 2 mailboxes I left my signature on way back when - what goes around comes around.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:38 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
What is with people these days????? Had the same thing happen around here, over 200 windows around the county, only one town did not get hit.They drove around shooting out windows, the idiots shot out post office windows and bank windows too... not too smart, with surveiliance cameras... they got busted. They hit a car that I hadn't gotten hauled out here to work on, shot out the back window. Others had it worse though, an 80's Camaro had the rear hatch shot out... At least mine wasn't too big of a deal, still sold it and got my money back out of it...

Old 11-10-2006, 07:04 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That stinks. Crap like that happens over here in Omaha pretty regularly. The last time, there was a street full of cars with slashed tires. I keep the '74 locked up in the garage. I figure it's easier to replace parts on the newer truck... plus it's got full coverage insurance.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Earlier this year the same thing happened on the Illinois side of the river in Rock Island/Moline. They caught those two kids and now they have to pay restitution. If I remember correctly it was nearly $90,000. How would you like to start out your adult life with that kind of bill?!?!

Old 11-11-2006, 12:53 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never understood the mentality that says it's "fun" to destroy things that belong to someone else, and understand it even less when it's a case of "I don't have nice things, so why should anyone else?" It really makes me angry that people do things like this.

Hope you get your '63 fixed up soon, Sam. It's a nice looking ride.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Well, odds are the kids that did it (assuming they are kids) aren't from the have-nots, but are from the upper middle class. If it was only one window, I would suspect it might be a frustrated poor kid. Hitting 70+ is something else. That's more along the lines of a Columbine mentality. Earlier this year a rock got put through my '87 rear window. I think a neighborhood kid I had it out with did that though. It's a beater, so I just threw some plexi in it.

FarmForward, thanks for the compliment on my truck. I ordered a window through LMC today. Until I get it I'm not even gonna touch my truck since the glass is still in place - just spiderwebbed. I finally found a aluminum grille and am working on polishing it up.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:28 PM
ChurchTurtle
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with FarmForward. Dig the truck. And I never understood vandalism either.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:59 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sam_Fear
Had the driver side window shot with a BB gun or the like. The window was still in, but it was spiderwebbed and you could see where the shot hit. On the up-side, the local news, KWQC channel 6, did their live report next to my truck so it was on TV. At the time the count was over 70 vehicles that had been hit all over Davenport. At least mine won't cost much to replace and I have another vehicle to drive until I can get it fixed. My neighbors mini-van had an $800 window taken out of it. I can't get too upset about it, I guess - I know of 2 mailboxes I left my signature on way back when - what goes around comes around.

those punks have been tagging cars all over town for a while now, next street over there were two cars that had broken windows. one day while heading to work i counted 4 cars,most likely all belonged to the same family, that had busted windshilds looked like they used a baseball on them. they use to just drive around shooting cars and houses with paintball guns, at least that'll come off with a little elbo grease.

we use to leave a couple of the family vehicles in the street over night, but lately ive been pulling them all in the driveway before i go to sleep.

i would like nothing better then to hide in the bushes with the 870 and wait for those morons, eye for an eye, or a deer slug for a beebee.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:31 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
Roger, I know the kids that did the shooting around Iowa County, notice that N. English was the only town without damage? They were idiots. If anybody did anything like that to my truck or any of my property, it would take an ungodly amount of self restraint not to beat them like a rented mule.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Well, I didn't know about Iowa county... I was referring to Clark county down here...

Old 11-14-2006, 02:49 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
You didn't hear about the one in Iowa County, they got a post office window, a bunch of car windows, some of the old wavy glass windows in houses, a lot of stuff. They used slingshots with ball bearings, BB guns, and some other stuff. Thats wierd that it happenend there too.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:26 AM
beaners1
Senior User
That hasn't happened to me since I moved to Lyon county, guess I'm out in the nowhere and lost. I did have my sebring convertables tires slashed, lucky for me they stayed away from the roof. I guess that some kids where jelous about some cars in town that night. 8 cars got hit and all where fairly new or restored cars. The police did catch them, they had to pay back all my expenses which for 4 michalin tires added up to about $800 just to me. Guess it just goes to show nowhere is safe from juvenille idiots. Oh this all happened in Lemars.