Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Senior User

lil_dq is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can't get the ODB-2 to read the truck??

Hey guys I have no idea what's wrong with the truck?! It runs fine and every thing but my CEL is on and the reader won't pull codes or act like it's even plugged in! I've tried Advance and Oriely's but neither of them could read it so I went to ford and they said to check the power plug fuse cause they run the power off of it.. I checked it out and the fuse is good so I'm stumped.

Any help?

Doc
Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
Do you have a 1996-current vehicle? What kind of reader do you have? Have you looked that the aldl port, and possible hit it with contact cleaner?

Was ford able to access the body module/GEM?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Senior User

Sorry I have a 02 F150 and couldn't get into ford till next week and they just gave me the fuse idea to check first. ALDL port??
Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
You have a blown fuse. Check the fuses in tha cab and also the ones under the hood in the distribution box, It is a always hot fuse, not keyed.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link, the port under the dash. My 02 F250 doesn't have an under hood fuse box, so if you don't find one they are all under the dash.

The aldl port is kind of low mounted and could have trash stuck in it. The fuse is going to be the first thing to check, but there maybe something in the port shorting the power wire out.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
The F150's have a box under the hood on the drivers side. It is full of fuses and relays.
There is also one under the dash.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 10-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Senior User

well I will check them both out and see what comes up thanks guys!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Your truck has a DLC (Data Link Connector) to plug the scan tool into. It is federally mandated. I've never heard of it called the ALDL before....

Pin 16 of the DLC provides operating power to the scan tool via fuse F3 in the under-dash fusebox. See page 180 of your owner's manual.

Steve
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Senior User

Yeah I knew that and checked the F3 fuse and it was good. So I don't know why it would still not read!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Have you checked at pin 16 with a meter? Sometimes the fuse isn't the problem...

Steve
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 10-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Senior User

no but i will!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:32 AM
New User

talnro is starting off with a positive reputation.
2001 Exp. doing the same thing. What did you find?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 AM
New User

talnro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine was the 3rd fuse . Thanks guys.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Senior User

Found out Advance Auto is a waste of time! just happened to be at oreileys and they ran it and pulled about 7 different codes for me!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)