1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

modding the '97

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:22 PM
orange peel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
modding the '97

I want to mod my truck, nothing out of control, just to make the drive a little bit more fun There is a guy a few towns away from me who burns/tunes custom selectable chips for diesels so I figured I would do all other mods first.

I am running straight pipes on my truck right now, no muffler or cat. is an actual exhaust "system" worth the money or is the straight pipe fine?

I want to add an intercooler, but is there a good/cheap kit out there!?! the guy i bought the truck from said he was told of a kit that came with all the tubing to run a 99+ intercooler, that would be perfect because I can get Ford parts at cost.

Turbine housings, like the Banks Quick Turbo, I would like to run one but of course can't get a price for just the housing from Banks unless I call, any other/better options?

the Edge EZ, worth it as a stackable chip?

I think that's all my questions, sorry for so many but im sorta new to the diesel scene. Oh, my truck has the ZF5 tranny, and is 4x4, ext cab, short bed(if that makes any difference)
Thanks guys

Old 10-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Get a good Down Pipe if you didn't already. The stocker is very restictive.
Get rid of the stock air box they are know to leak dirt and hurt the turbo. Search this forum for kwik filter. These 2 mods will not add a bunch of HP but will get you setup for some mods that will add HP.

You need gages, EGT, boost & tranny temp. Adding HP will add a bunch of heat to the turbo. Monitoring the boost is just plain fun. The tranny will not like the mods so you need a temp gage for it.

My 2 cents.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:47 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orange peel
I want to add an intercooler, but is there a good/cheap kit out there!?! the guy i bought the truck from said he was told of a kit that came with all the tubing to run a 99+ intercooler, that would be perfect because I can get Ford parts at cost. There is a kit from GTS motorsports but it is very hard to get, barebackjake is looking into making an intercooler pipe kit if he can get enough takers.

Turbine housings, like the Banks Quick Turbo, I would like to run one but of course can't get a price for just the housing from Banks unless I call, any other/better options?
You can get a smaller turbo housing they are <$200, tymar would be a better choice to buy from.

the Edge EZ, worth it as a stackable chip?
No there wont be a noticable difference with this and a chip, it is just a $300 10k mod.

I think that's all my questions, sorry for so many but im sorta new to the diesel scene. Oh, my truck has the ZF5 tranny, and is 4x4, ext cab, short bed(if that makes any difference)
Thanks guys
Glad to see the ebay truck is working out for you

Old 10-11-2006, 08:43 AM
orange peel
Posting Guru
Foreman, what do you mean the kit from GTS is hard to get? I was just looking at their website and it seemed to be the ticket. But if barebackjake will be making a kit ill be all over it. other than that thanks for the great input, exactly what i was looking for!

Yea I am loving my truck, best eBay buy yet!

Old 10-11-2006, 11:14 AM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Well I have heard many people have not been able to get a hold of him. Many others have ordered a kit and had to wait a while. If your not in a hurry wait and see what barebackjake is going to do, it will be a much better product.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:21 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
ive heard people are calling banks and getting the whole ic kit minus the ic for a very reasonable price then getting on ebay and buying either a stock 6oh or 7.3 ic cheap. I heard this about banks awhile back, dunno if it is true or not.

luke

Old 10-11-2006, 08:14 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
theres no such things as mods outta control!!

luke and i can attest to that!!

Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 PM
orange peel
Posting Guru
on the DIY kits, is there a big difference between the 7.3 and 6.0 ic's?

Old 10-16-2006, 11:30 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
The 6.0 intercoolers are taller and they say flow 30% more air. It uses the same mounts as the 7.3