1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

59 f100 Newby

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Bigford4x4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
59 f100 Newby

I recently purchased a 59 f100 with a 6 cylinder and 3 speed tranny. I have spent the last few month trying to determine which route to take, leave the 6 cyl 3 speed combo or convert to a v8 and automatic, with an IFS front end. What I have decided is a combo (kinda). I am going to keep the truck fairly stock and rebuilt the front steering with all new parts. Keep the 6 cyl and 3 speed (maybe add overdrive). I want to go to disk brakes though. I have found companies that sell the kits, except I want to clean up the firewall. I just love the look of a firewall that does not have all the plumbing hanging off it. Does anyone know how to move the booster and the brake Masgter cylinder down to the fram. I will want to do this with the clutch masgter cylinder as well. Also I will be moving the fuel tank to the back of the bed between the frame rails, if I convert to an electric pump, will I need to run a return line and some sort of fuel meter to not overflow the carb. I can come up with all sort of reasons to not run an electric fuel pump, any help will be appreciated.

Randy

Old 10-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run an electric pump and rear tank. Unless you need high pressure feed (35 psi+), no return line or fuel block is required. The carb will handle 7 psi or so easily. That's what mine produces.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with Randy, no return line for a carb set up. My carb takes 7 psi and the pump puts out 6psi.

We used ECI disc brakes on our 60. They have below the cab stuff, you may want to look at their website. You could use a peddal set up from one of the earlier trucks.

We completely rebuilt the straight axle front end and installed the Toyota power steering and the drick drives like a dream!