1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

SD HPOP install write up. Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:52 PM
StevensPoint
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the SD HPOP do much for you if you if you're only running stock injectors? I need to replace my HPOP and would consider a SD, but I'm not willing to drop $2000 for new injectors to see the benefit.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:27 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
SP, if you are never gonna run bigger injectors then there is no point in going to the SD HPOP. However, they are about the same price, and if it were me needing to replace my pump, I would do the SD pump. Cuz with it you can be sure your stock injectors are getting all the oil they need at all RPM's. It would just be the correct thing to do in my opinion. It's just a better pump, and if it works on our trucks, why not. And you don't need to spend 2k to reap the benifits of the pump. If you can afford a couple of days down time on your truck, and have the ability to wrench fairly well, you can build a set of injectors like I did for just over $400. I bought my injector kit, with some extra parts and machined intesifier pistons from Jim at DIY-injectors for $448 shipped. The injector build was really easy, and had great instructions. I'm not trying to sell them or anything like that, I just wanted you to know it doesn't have to be that expesive. Hope that helps.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:51 PM
StevensPoint
Senior User
$500 is a bit more reasonable. I've replaced to injector o-rings and didn't find that job too bad. Thanks for the help.

By the way - Excellent Write-up!

Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

SP, thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:04 PM
StevensPoint
Senior User
Sounds like you had not problem reconnecting the HP oil lines to the pump? Were yours threaded or snap? Mine are threaded, but I thought the newer style was different.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:32 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Yeah, it was easy. You just take the fittings off the new pump which would be the snap on type. And screw in the fittings off your stock pump. It's that easy.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 PM
StevensPoint
Senior User
Is the IPR interchangable between the two pumps? I notice the part numbers are very slightly different.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:06 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Yes they are, but from what I hear you want to keep them correct. There were only slight differences in the two, but I myself didn't want to reuse my stock IPR. I wanted every upgrade I could get. I have no idea if you can get the same benifit with your stock IPR or not, but I didn't want to take that chance. That's just my opinion.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 PM
wbeding
New User
Hey guys, I lost one of the springs during the HPOP seal change. Are they entirely necessary? Is it bad if I take both of them out? Where could I find a new one? I have heard of just taking them out and nothing bad happens. What do you guys think?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:13 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

If you are talking about the springs under the fitting for the lines, yes take them out, they are just a restriction. International had put them there for bleed down, but there are holes in the little plates. But make no mistake, these are NOT responsible for the bleed down. Take them out and forget them.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:24 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cody I would like to add some Torue specs to your write-up! not sure why we didn't do this a long time ago but here goes.
Pump mounting bolts (2)-16-20 Ft lbs
Drive gear bolt- 95 ft lbs
HPOP oil line fittings- 19 ft lbs
IPR- 35 ft lbs

Now everyone needs to save this in their Favs so they can link it later!!

Old 11-15-2009, 10:22 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 135 Likes on 131 Posts
Excellent write up RubberDuck, used it friday to install my adrenaline, helped a lot. I'll try to send reps.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have had a great deal of trouble getting this job done without Cody's write up. Thanks for the torq specs Tim. Mind you, it's a bit late for me know. I kinda like Cody's torq specs. They're my kinda specs. 'Tight, but not too tight, if ya know what I mean'.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 PM
quikdecision
New User
Rubberduck,
I am new to the powerstroke arena . Just got a 1995 crew cab. Power strokes are a whole new ball game vs the 1990 IDI I still have. Your write up for the HPOP ..... IS awesome. You.... Have a gift. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed every minute of it. I have had mine for 3 months.
Been workin on it almost daily. Haven't even registered it yet. I just changed the lift pump, and cleaned up all the tools etc. in the center galley. I noticed leaks there, after the lift pump install. I suspect the HPOP or IPR. Soooo, I'm likely going to change these too. I still have the squished stock exhaust. 240,000 on the clock. Hope it will hang together. Dealin with burnt valve cover gasket connectors right now... Geez. Hope it will be over soon and I get to drive it...
Thanks again for sharing. I'll bet it took as much time to write up as it did to do.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the compliment.

Quick Reply: SD HPOP install write up. Part 1