Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Senior User

atomicglock is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bio-diesel and Diesel Kleen ?

First off, if this has been posted before, I apologise(sp?). I did a search and didn't find anything.

I bought my first tank of B-20 yesterday. It was only 2 cents more expensive than regular diesel so I figured I might as well try it out.

My questions are:
1) Is Diesel Kleen compatible with bio-diesel? Do I even need it? I've always added 16 oz. to every tank full (except in winter). I didn't add any this time in case it wasn't.

2) What about using anti-gel in the winter? Any special considerations I should know about when using bio-diesel in cold weather?

Thanks.
Howard
2006 F-250 XLT, 6.0l diesel, automatic, 4x4, supercab, short bed, srw and bone stock (and it's gonna stay that way 'cause I have no intention of putting one dime more than I have to in this piece of junk!).
Old 10-04-2006, 07:49 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicglock
First off, if this has been posted before, I apologise(sp?). I did a search and didn't find anything.

I bought my first tank of B-20 yesterday. It was only 2 cents more expensive than regular diesel so I figured I might as well try it out.

My questions are:
1) Is Diesel Kleen compatible with bio-diesel? Do I even need it? I've always added 16 oz. to every tank full (except in winter). I didn't add any this time in case it wasn't.

2) What about using anti-gel in the winter? Any special considerations I should know about when using bio-diesel in cold weather?

Thanks.
Howard
You won't need Diesel Kleen with biodiesel at all. Using B-20 will have no gelling problems either! It is only with higher consentrations of biodiesel that blending is needed.

FABMANDELUX.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Senior User

atomicglock is starting off with a positive reputation.
COOL!! So, depending on how much more B-20 is over regular diesel, I might actually save some money. Thanks

Howard
2006 F-250 XLT, 6.0l diesel, automatic, 4x4, supercab, short bed, srw and bone stock (and it's gonna stay that way 'cause I have no intention of putting one dime more than I have to in this piece of junk!).
Old 10-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Posting Guru

adambomb has a good reputation on FTE.adambomb has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
COOL!! So, depending on how much more B-20 is over regular diesel, I might actually save some money.
Yeah,
you can save a little money, support American Farmers, and help the enviornment. win win win if you ask me.

2005 F350 6.0 (modded) ~450rwhp/900+ft/lb tq
1999 F350 7.3 (normal mods + 13" King Suspension on 40's)
1998 F150 (basic mods + 7" Suspension on 35's/Prerunner fiberglass and skidplace)
1994 Bronco (normal mods + 9" Coil Suspension on 35's)
Old 10-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Senior User

pile_53574 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question

How's about a B5 blend would you still add a little Diesel Kleen??
Old 10-09-2006, 09:05 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pile_53574
Nope! Just 2 percent Biodiesel increases the lubricity of dinodiesel by 65 PERCENT......And it will clean out the fuel system.

FABMANDELUX.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Posting Guru

adambomb has a good reputation on FTE.adambomb has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
i don't think you need to add any DK if you are using B5. they say that even as little as 2% bio replaces the lubricty lost in low sulfer fuel these days. Check out this LINK they have alot of info regarding this question.

2005 F350 6.0 (modded) ~450rwhp/900+ft/lb tq
1999 F350 7.3 (normal mods + 13" King Suspension on 40's)
1998 F150 (basic mods + 7" Suspension on 35's/Prerunner fiberglass and skidplace)
1994 Bronco (normal mods + 9" Coil Suspension on 35's)
Old 10-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Elder User

jimkidd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimkidd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Experiment. Try different ratios. You may find you don't need it but you may also find you get a little better MPG if you do. The key is to document. That's why I use the oil I do and change it when I do and why I buy my fuel and additives where I do. It may or may not be the lowest cost per gallon (or quart in the case of oil) but over time I've found a combination that offers a lower total cost of ownership.

Just my 2˘.

jimbo

WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. You'll get
paid after we getback. Must bring your own weapons.
Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.
www.jimkidd.com
Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Postmaster

FARM69 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wait, I always thought bio gelled up something terrible in the winter months?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARM69
Wait, I always thought bio gelled up something terrible in the winter months?
I have been using B-80 the last 2 winters [never got below 10 above tho] with 0 problems. If I see the forecast going lower than that this winter, I'll blend down to B-60. The tests I've run on the bio we produce here on the ranch show that B-60 will not start to gel untill about -5 deg.

FABMANDELUX.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Postmaster

Hmm... Thats very strange. Its nearly impossible to run soy diesel here in the winter (in Iowa). I still have about 45 gal to use up so I'm getting a little concerned since I have no big trips in the future. Maybe its the kind of bio? Just a thought.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Senior User

Gun-Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am currently running B-80 here in Pa. I would like to continue that ratio through the winter. I take several trips to Canada during the winter where the temps can drop below zero. Will running DK with that blend be suffficient.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Postmaster

I'm pretty sure it depends on what kind of bio your using. I've done a little research on it and it seems like the soy gells at a higher temp than others. Which sucks because a lot of machines use it and for the tax break we get. Running DK will help it from gelling, but as far as 80% bio I don't know how much you will have to tank mix.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you blend the soy base BD with #2 you can drop the gel point.

It might be a good idea to experiment with various blends to see what works.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARM69
Hmm... Thats very strange. Its nearly impossible to run soy diesel here in the winter (in Iowa). I still have about 45 gal to use up so I'm getting a little concerned since I have no big trips in the future. Maybe its the kind of bio? Just a thought.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/53...t-trouble.html Post #5.

Any bio will be ok if you blend #1-#2 with it. Just put some in a jar with a thermometer in it, and put it in your fridge. Check it often and when you see it just start to cloud up, you've found the gel-point. Try different blends till you find a mix that stays cloud free at the temp you need and you are set.

FABMANDELUX.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
2, bio, biodiesel, diesel, dieselclean, f350, gelling, kleen, kleendieselbiowheretobuy, reviews, vs