1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Global-Trading COPs are they worth it?...Hellp

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Methodical_1
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Global-Trading COPs are they worth it?...Hellp

Hello all. I've been lurking and searching for awhile and now I am posting. I've just experience what I have found to be a common problem with our trucks, via the search button, Misfiring issues. I scanned my system and out came P0303 - it was a "pending code" - check engine light never came, at least not that I know of. I've read at least 10 articles about this issue. However, my question is below. I have a 2001 EB Expedition with a 5.4L engine and about 65K miles on it. I know I know, I will eventually put my sig together, just need some quick info. today.

1. Is this the correct COP part number for my truck: DG491/DG508?

2. Has anyone ordered replacement COPs from Global-Trading - an Ebay store - the vendor is World Auto Parts. Was it a quality part? They claim they have new Motorcraft OEM parts which only cost $13.99 each or $102 for 8.

3. Summit Racing has the COP (Accel) but they are out of stock. So Where else can I get this COP at a reasonable price - other than Autozone.

Help

Thanks all for your help

Old 10-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Mr.Novice
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you meant global-automotive then yes, they are a good vendor. A TAD slow in shipping, but the Motorcraft part they sent me matched up exactly, 100% with the stock part that I took off (Not a COP).

Your correct part # is DG508

What's wrong with Autozone? I've replaced two COP's using Autozone's brand and the truck runs great. More expensive than $13.99 for sure, but at least you don't have to drive around with a misfire for 2 weeks while possibly damaging your catalytic converters. I think I paid around $40 each for the "have to fix it right now" COP's.

FYI, P303 is the #3 cylinder, third from the front bumper on the passenger's side.

Also, you don't necessarily have a COP out, although it is likely that this is the case. You can try disconnecting the battery, swapping the #1 and #3 COP's out, then drive it and re-scan to see if the misfire switches to the #1 cylinder. If so, you have a COP issue. Otherwise, it's probably the #3 spark plug.

Peace & COP's

Old 10-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Methodical_1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mr.Novice
If you meant global-automotive then yes, they are a good vendor. A TAD slow in shipping, but the Motorcraft part they sent me matched up exactly, 100% with the stock part that I took off (Not a COP).

Your correct part # is DG508

What's wrong with Autozone? I've replaced two COP's using Autozone's brand and the truck runs great. More expensive than $13.99 for sure, but at least you don't have to drive around with a misfire for 2 weeks while possibly damaging your catalytic converters. I think I paid around $40 each for the "have to fix it right now" COP's.

FYI, P303 is the #3 cylinder, third from the front bumper on the passenger's side.

Also, you don't necessarily have a COP out, although it is likely that this is the case. You can try disconnecting the battery, swapping the #1 and #3 COP's out, then drive it and re-scan to see if the misfire switches to the #1 cylinder. If so, you have a COP issue. Otherwise, it's probably the #3 spark plug.

Peace & COP's
Nothing is wrong with Autozone parts. I was referring to Autozone's cost and not quality compared to the Ebay's company's cost.

I have other vehicles to drive so I have time to shop around for lower cost.

Thanks for the tip. I will try that.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Mr.Novice
Senior User
Cool - good luck solving the problem.

If I had the time, I would definitely give global-automotive a shot on eBay. They get the occasional bad feedback, but so does everybody else that does that kind of volume. I'm an eBay PowerSeller and I had one jerk give me bad feedback just because I gave him poor feedback for not paying me for over 2 months...

These misfires are pretty much "old hat" around here, so post back if you have any problems. Looking forward to reading how you solved it!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 PM
jduplan
New User
I bought a set from them and had no problems what so ever....put 'em on as I had some rough running at 110k miles and was getting ready to tow a trailer up from Houston to North Carolina. They shipped within a few days, matched right up, and worked perfectly. I figured for $100 it was worth the risk....I've put about 3500 miles on them over the past few months and noticed that the truck did run better than before.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Methodical_1
Senior User
Thanks. I will update later.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:00 PM
EagleDakota
Senior User
I have had them for over a year - no problems. I replaced all 8 since they were so cheap, I mean inexpensive.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Methodical_1
Senior User
Thanks fellas and/or ladies. I just ordered a set of 8 from that company. Price is definitely right that is why I got 8. I know this will not be the last COP issue.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:59 PM
EagleDakota
Senior User
You likely know this, but just a reminder not to forget the dialectic grease when you put the new COPS on.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 AM
MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
Elder User
ALSO... check the heater hose worm-gear clamp which sits above the #3 coil... the clamp gets a little loose which allows droplets of antifreeze to fall onto the #3 coil.. and you know what water eventually does to electric things. If you see any traces at all of moisture.. make sure that clamp is tight and no longer leaking.

good luck

Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Methodical_1
Senior User
Originally Posted by MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
ALSO... check the heater hose worm-gear clamp which sits above the #3 coil... the clamp gets a little loose which allows droplets of antifreeze to fall onto the #3 coil.. and you know what water eventually does to electric things. If you see any traces at all of moisture.. make sure that clamp is tight and no longer leaking.

good luck
Will definitely check that. I've read that tip in just about every post I saw on this issue. Thx.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:50 AM
01silvergt
Senior User
Send us an ebay link, will ya.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Mr.Novice
Senior User
Originally Posted by 01silvergt
Send us an ebay link, will ya.
Set of 8:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-FORD-OEM-IGNITION-COILS-DG491-DG508-SET-OF-8_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33689QQihZ006QQitemZ1 60035856724QQrdZ1

Single:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...32718863QQrdZ1

I just bought a "Single" one myself. It will be nice to have a spare!!!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
Old 10-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Methodical_1
Senior User
Update: I received the 8 COPs from Global-Automotive on Saturday (10/7). The Co. shipped the parts fast. I finally got a chance yesterday (10/12) to install the #3 COP. The install took less than 30 minutes to R&R. I did not have to remove the fuel line; just moved the heater hose out of the way and pulled the pcv valve and hose out of the way. I used a 7mm socket with universal and extension and wahla. I put dialectric grease on the rubber boot and connector, installed the new COP, cleared the code and everything's fine in Expy land. No heater hose leaks either just a bad COP. I am now expecting others to go soon but I am ready. Cost = $12.50.

By the way, I am a DIY mechanic so working on cars is, I guess you can say, a hobby. I've rebuilt my 95 Cobra and do all the mechanical work on the family's fleet. This made the task a bit easier for me.

Observation during repair work: From what I can tell (visual), if you remove the heater hose and some of those other hoses, that dreaded #4 COP would be an easy fix. But I know some folks don't want to remove anything that they can get away with, but removal would seem to make the repair work much easier than just moving stuff around or out of the way.

Thanks to all for your help and tips.

Last edited by Methodical_1; 10-13-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Global-Trading COPs are they worth it?...Hellp