Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Junior User

akula22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shell Rotella T15w-40 vs Shell 5w-40 syn oil

Hey guys I was planning on switching to the new Shell 15w-40 cj-4 oil when i came out, but I was thinking since it will start to get colder in western pa next mon should I switch to shell 5w-40 syn oil for the cold weather? Does anyone here run this oil all the time and what are your real world opinions on this particular brand since it is the only one available at my walmart right down the road from me. I looked for the mobil 1 delvac 5w-40 oil but cant find any in the area.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior User

t_b is starting off with a positive reputation.
Beach will be by in a moment to talk to you about Rotella synthetic, which is a very good oil.

If you want Delvac 1 5W-40, go to your parts store and look for Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil in quarts - it is, by Mobil's own admission, the exact same oil under a different marketing strategy.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Postmaster

slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i live in ma and run the 5-40 year round, cant seem to find the mobil 1 ? i have always ran syn. oils in all my vehicles ....
Old 10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Got Diesel?

Beachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to all
I use Rotella-Syn 5W-40 year round with great results. Use any brand of diesel rated oil you choose and look for the API industry mark showing that it is CI4+ rated (Mobil, Chevron and Rotella are the main ones).

I plan on maybe trying the new Rotella CJ4, but it is only 15W-40 dino for now, so I am not sure if synthetic CI4+ is better or worse than CJ4 dino? I emailed Shell oil twice to ask and have not heard back!!!

Here is a new twist or question....

Is running the new CJ4 oil while still using the current 500ppm diesel harmful as this new oil is designed for the new 15ppm diesel fuel??? I know that CI4+ can not be used in 2008 trucks/motors and with the new diesel... but what about CJ4 in older trucks (while running the current higher sulfur 500ppm diesel)?

Interesting question... which I hope someone knows the answer too or will have some time to email Shell, Chevron or Mobil.

Thanks,
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer
BriteBox Headlight Module / Marinco AC Block Heater Plug
Old 10-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Posting Guru

tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.
I can't find TDT in any of my local parts stores either (Dallas, TX). Looks like the next oil change (about 5K away... I assume I get a free oil change with a set of head gaskets...) will either see me ordering another case of Delvac from AvLube (fairly pricey) or swapping to something else... Rotella syn being the likely candidate.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Elder User

A. Michael Foxtrot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Here is a new twist or question....

Is running the new CJ4 oil while still using the current 500ppm diesel harmful as this new oil is designed for the new 15ppm diesel fuel??? I know that CI4+ can not be used in 2008 trucks/motors and with the new diesel... but what about CJ4 in older trucks (while running the current higher sulfur 500ppm diesel)?

Interesting question... which I hope someone knows the answer too or will have some time to email Shell, Chevron or Mobil.

Thanks,
Since ULSD is supposed to be required by Oct. 15, I don't see this being much of a concern
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod.../ulsd.shtml#A2

edit: according to Chevron's website. they're CJ4 licensed oil will be available on Oct 15.

http://www.delobike.com/Chev%20CJ4%20Q_A.pdf

Same holds true for Rotella

http://www.rotella.com/press/article_68.html

1998 F-150 S/C XLT 4X4 4.6
2005 F-350 C/C Lariat 4X4 6.0
Click me to see what I drive

Last edited by A. Michael Foxtrot; 10-03-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Got Diesel?

Beachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Michael Foxtrot
Since ULSD is supposed to be required by Oct. 15, I don't see this being much of a concern
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod.../ulsd.shtml#A2

edit: according to Chevron's website. they're CJ4 licensed oil will be available on Oct 15.

http://www.delobike.com/Chev%20CJ4%20Q_A.pdf

Same holds true for Rotella

http://www.rotella.com/press/article_68.html
Thanks... but the new diesel will start to be phased in on October 15th, but they have until 2010 to be 100% 15ppm certified.

Here is a link...

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/servicerpt/ulsd/

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 10-03-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Elder User

A. Michael Foxtrot is starting off with a positive reputation.
from the link you posted

Quote:
up to 20 percent of highway diesel fuel produced may continue to meet the current 500 ppm sulfur limit through May 2010; the remaining 80 percent of the highway diesel fuel produced must meet the new 15 ppm maximum
I'm wondering where that "up to 20%" will land. It seems as though the majority of the fuel supply will be 15ppm

1998 F-150 S/C XLT 4X4 4.6
2005 F-350 C/C Lariat 4X4 6.0
Click me to see what I drive
Old 10-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Got Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Michael Foxtrot
from the link you posted

I'm wondering where that "up to 20%" will land. It seems as though the majority of the fuel supply will be 15ppm
That's what surprises me... but I think that the conversion will be much quicker as to make it easier for refiners and distributors. They do not want to handle two of everything?

This is probably for "off-road", military and other "non-highway uses" I would assume???
Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Road Runnin' Copper W

Lonewolftx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Arrow Warm Weather tpes . . .

Thankfully those of us in the South OR the Republic of Texas don't have a need for the colder (Syn) oils so Dino is fine at the 15w and the new oil will be worked into the change cycle as it is available.

My personnal observation is syn is no better than dino in a warmer climate. Bummer for you Northern folks . . .

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
'06 F250 PSD CC SB LKR Fx4 20" Whls Dk Copper
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...id=130356&.jpghttp://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...id=136189&.jpg
Old 10-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Fortune Favors The Brave

kw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputation
With that said....I use syn oil...because I can...but, the main reason is my many short trips / run duration as my office is only minutes away and the stores that allow me to keep up with my honey do's (or dues as the case may be ) are even closer...

The additional cost is minimal for my perceived gain. While some throw thousands of $$$ at their trucks for performance gains, looks, lifts, etc...I throw a few extra $$ into the oil....But, that's just me.
Book Of kw5413 Chapter 2014 verse 02:28

"--You went out there to talk. Why did you kill that man?" -- "Conversation just kinda dried up." - John Henry Thomas
Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior User

TheFist is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5413
With that said....I use syn oil...because I can...but, the main reason is my many short trips / run duration as my office is only minutes away and the stores that allow me to keep up with my honey do's (or dues as the case may be ) are even closer...

The additional cost is minimal for my perceived gain. While some throw thousands of $$$ at their trucks for performance gains, looks, lifts, etc...I throw a few extra $$ into the oil....But, that's just me.
Thats my opinion as well. My first oil change with the truck I've got is going to be with synth. oil. Probably the Mobile, unless I find a real reason to go with something else, 'cause I can get it at Wal Mart down the street.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Senior User

shdwlkr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just because someone mentioned the 20% of diesel still meeting the 500ppm sulfur level. I wonder if this is so that old tanks and lines that the new fuel runs through can be sold? I am told that in your vehicle it can take a few thousand miles to clean the tank, lines and injectors of the old sulfur fuel. So doesn't it make sense it will take a few thousand gallons to clean the tanks and lines the fuel runs through? Also the refineries don't have to switch over to the new 15ppm sulfur level fuel they can just stop making over the road diesel and make home heating oil instead wonder what would happen if enough refineriers stop making fuel, what would the EPA say then. I don't think it will happen but interesting idea.
As to oil I run shell 15 40 in my truck and have used this oil in my diesels since I got my first one in 1980 has worked good for me so that is what I will run until Black stone tells me it is hurting my engine. Don't know what is going on as I just did the first oil change last week and waiting for the sample kit to send in and see where my new engine is at the beginning and then see what the first 5000 mile oil change looks like.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Road Runnin' Copper W

Lonewolftx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Arrow Not sure I agree . . . (don't you lov it)

Yeah, it is extra $$$$. Shell syn is $19.95 a gal vs. Shell dino $18.95 for 2.5 gal (Tractor Supply). You could change the oil much sooner, spend the same funds, and there is little to no evidence that syn does more for you than dino.

Spend away as it is your hard earned money $$$$$$$$ . . .

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
'06 F250 PSD CC SB LKR Fx4 20" Whls Dk Copper
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...id=130356&.jpghttp://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...id=136189&.jpg
Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Fortune Favors The Brave

kw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputation
Value is determined by the one spending their own hard earned money. Personally, I typically don't make it my business to determine how others should spend theirs....especially when / if they desire to spend mucho grande bucks on mods that may or may not be of practical benefit.
Book Of kw5413 Chapter 2014 verse 02:28

"--You went out there to talk. Why did you kill that man?" -- "Conversation just kinda dried up." - John Henry Thomas
Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
15w40, 40, 5w, 5w40, 64, ford, mart, oils, rotella, shell, truck, uoa, v8, vs, wal