Fix Your Power Windows!!!! DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:24 AM
FoMoColover
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fix Your Power Windows!!!! DIY

Hope this helps some of you guys...
When I bought my 1992, the passenger window did not work. It was no big deal until the drivers window decided to quit a few days ago. So I figured I would replace both motors until I saw the price of the motors. At that point I decided to rebuild them and this is how I did it...

1.) Remove door panel. Use a 1/4 inch bit to drill out the four rivets holding the regulator to the door. In order to get the motor and regulator assembly out of the door you will have to lower it to its lowest position. If the motor will not run then remove the motor from the regulator (my drivers window decided to work after I remove the weight of the window from it). The regulator has a large spring that holds tension in the down to up position.

2.) Place regulator and motor on table and remove the four screws holding motor to regulator.

3.) With motor removed, remove two screws holding motor assembly to gear box. You will need a T-15 if memory serves me.

4.) With screws removed, slowly twist motor assembly and pull from gear box. At this point I clean the gearbox with Brake and Parts Cleaner then spray inside the gear box with penetrating oil. Once cleaned and sprayed I turn the gear box several revolutions by hand as the old grease is most likely hard.

5.) To clean the motor, simply remove the plastic brush holder and the shaft from the housing and clean well with 400 grit sandpaper and Brake and Parts Cleaner. Clean inside of motor housing as well. The plastic brush holder should be inspected and cleaned as well. Make sure brushes are of adequate length to properly make contact with shaft. (Mine were like new but very dirty from rust as the entire regulator was rusty. I am quite sure you could replace the brushes quite easily with G-3 alternator brushes.)

6.) Once everything is cleaned, lubricate bearing cup inside the motor housing then place shaft assembly then brush assembly back into housing. (I used some lubricant called Lubriplate for GM cars) Place gear box assembly in a position so that you can look into it and see the motor shaft bearing race. Make sur it is in a straight position as it will move around and cause many problems getting the motor back onto the gear box. Lubricate regulator assembly with penetrating oil and Lubriplate lube or grease. Reassemble the motor to the gear box and reinstall to the regulator in the DOWN position.

7.) Reinstall motor and regulator back into van using either rivets or use some 1/4X1/2 bolt with nylon locknut. Plug window back up and check for proper function. Lubricate window channels with silicone spray and work windows up and down many times to distribute the lubricants.

I hope this helps someone. I wish I would have taken pictures but I did not even think about it. It took me about three hours to do both doors. Both windows work like new now. I was also amazed to find the original motors in my van.

Aaron

Old 10-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
I have the other problem.... Window gets in stuck... Motror is OK, but very difficult to up the window! I tried to lubricate it with special lubricant, but now it does not help.... So I have to pull up the window with hand to close....

Old 10-03-2006, 01:44 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FoMoColover,
great post
thanks for the info

Old 10-03-2006, 03:38 PM
ken1mod
Elder User
i really appreciate these kinds of posts. I enjoy fixing the accessories rather than replacing them.

Ken

Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
FoMoColover
Junior User
I totally agree KenMod! My original starter motor went out a few months back on a Saturday evening. Checked the local FLAPS and they all wanted 100-150 bucks for one. Checked to see if any of them had the brush holder and not the first parts store had one. Our local starter shop would not be open till Monday so I got creative. Removed the starter and found that the brushes were indeed shot. Thought of a way I could fix it with no new parts and low and behold I came up with a grand scheme. I collect Air cooled VW parts and have about thirty old generators in my shed. I went out and found me four decent old brushes and marked them to the correct size of the Ford brushes and cut them down to fit. Once cut to fit I had to solder them into the old brush holder. Cleaned the starter up and it has been starting fine ever since although I did pick up a new brush holder from the starter shop. Creativity does pay and often times saves lots of money.

Aaron

Old 10-03-2006, 09:30 PM
ken1mod
Elder User
Good for you, I have done similar things myself... Its great fun.

ken