2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 F150 powerfold mirror upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:31 PM
icky2000
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F150 powerfold mirror upgrade?

I just bought a 2006 F150 Supercab. I love it but it's a tad big for my little garage door. If I roll down the driver window and fold in the mirror I can make it in with an inch or two to spare on each side but it's real close and I'm scared I'm going to take off the other mirror when backing out. I could make it in easily if I could fold in the passenger side mirror as well but that's a pain to crawl across the seat and get at it or hop out.

I do have power mirrors but I see from the manual that there is another option to have "powerfold" mirrors that can automatically fold in and out at the flick of a switch. My Googling shows that other trucks have this feature too.

I'm wondering if y'all think Ford can install this feature for me after the fact? Anyone ever done this? I have a feeling it's going to be real expensive but I'd pay up to a grand for it I think - I want to take good care of the truck and parking inside really helps...ideas/thoughts?

Old 09-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they could it is possible maybe you should go to the dealer and ask them they would let you know if you could

Old 10-01-2006, 07:12 AM
whitecrystal1
Senior User
Originally Posted by icky2000
I just bought a 2006 F150 Supercab. I love it but it's a tad big for my little garage door. If I roll down the driver window and fold in the mirror I can make it in with an inch or two to spare on each side but it's real close and I'm scared I'm going to take off the other mirror when backing out. I could make it in easily if I could fold in the passenger side mirror as well but that's a pain to crawl across the seat and get at it or hop out.

I do have power mirrors but I see from the manual that there is another option to have "powerfold" mirrors that can automatically fold in and out at the flick of a switch. My Googling shows that other trucks have this feature too.

I'm wondering if y'all think Ford can install this feature for me after the fact? Anyone ever done this? I have a feeling it's going to be real expensive but I'd pay up to a grand for it I think - I want to take good care of the truck and parking inside really helps...ideas/thoughts?
Look at this thread. Look at the third reply. There is a link in it that tells you everything, part #'s and how to.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...olding+mirrors

Old 10-01-2006, 08:17 AM
icky2000
New User
Thanks very much whitecrystal1! I did search for this and found a few other questions but didn't dig up this excellent thread. I'm off to find an Austin TX installer that's willing to tackle this for me...

Old 10-01-2006, 09:08 AM
whitecrystal1
Senior User
Thanks very much whitecrystal1! I did search for this and found a few other questions but didn't dig up this excellent thread. I'm off to find an Austin TX installer that's willing to tackle this for me...
Btw, Welcome to the club

Old 10-02-2006, 09:08 PM
icky2000
New User
Update: I'm starting by contacting the 3 Ford dealers here in Austin TX to see if they will do the job for me. The first dealer I talked to today (the one I bought the truck from) says the costs break down like this:
2 x new mirrors $560/each
1 new switch $80
2 x new wiring harnesses $260/each
for a total of $1720 in parts. He wouldn't give me a straight quote on the labor because they haven't done this before in his shop so it's just $92/hour labor and we'll see how long it takes.

I forgot to ask him if they would take my existing mirrors (I've had the truck for all of 3 days now) in as new parts and reimburse me for them but since he didn't offer, I'm guessing no. That would sure cut the cost a lot so I'll ask anway. I'll also be getting quotes from the other dealerships in town and will update this thread with the rest of my research as this may be helpful for someone else in the future.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:19 PM
whitecrystal1
Senior User
Update: I'm starting by contacting the 3 Ford dealers here in Austin TX to see if they will do the job for me. The first dealer I talked to today (the one I bought the truck from) says the costs break down like this:
2 x new mirrors $560/each
1 new switch $80
2 x new wiring harnesses $260/each
for a total of $1720 in parts. He wouldn't give me a straight quote on the labor because they haven't done this before in his shop so it's just $92/hour labor and we'll see how long it takes.

I forgot to ask him if they would take my existing mirrors (I've had the truck for all of 3 days now) in as new parts and reimburse me for them but since he didn't offer, I'm guessing no. That would sure cut the cost a lot so I'll ask anway. I'll also be getting quotes from the other dealerships in town and will update this thread with the rest of my research as this may be helpful for someone else in the future.
That's crazy. You might be better off finding a costum shop to do it cheaper. I'd look to ebay to find the mirrors. I can't belive Ford wants almost 2K to do that. Why doin't you give it a try your self? I'm sure you can get a lot of help here from those who have already done it.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:24 PM
icky2000
New User
Yeah, I thought it was a lot too. The guy was nice and all but didn't seem eager to do the job so I think he was trying to scare me off. I'd be willing to spend as much as a grand for it but not 2. As for doing it myself, I'm not too handy with this stuff and I love my truck so much I'm too scared. I am, however, handy at dialing a phone and handy and swiping my credit card so I'll keep calling around and let you know what I find out.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 PM
whitecrystal1
Senior User
Yeah, I thought it was a lot too. The guy was nice and all but didn't seem eager to do the job so I think he was trying to scare me off. I'd be willing to spend as much as a grand for it but not 2. As for doing it myself, I'm not too handy with this stuff and I love my truck so much I'm too scared. I am, however, handy at dialing a phone and handy and swiping my credit card so I'll keep calling around and let you know what I find out.
Maby look away from the dealer and look for a custom shop to do it. Just supply them everything needed.
I didn't read that link. Did it imply the mirrors had to be replaced?

Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 PM
icky2000
New User
Yeah, I certainly will talk to a few custom shops too and see how the pricing comes out. I don't at all mind doing the legwork to get all the parts - allows me to take my time and get them as cheap as possible. The mirrors do indeed have to be replaced. There are specific "powerfold" mirrors. With those mirrors, most of the difficulty is the wiring and some tricky parts of the install.

I may just learn to live with the manual driverside pull-in process as it is working so far - it is just really really tight and I worry I'll take off that passenger mirror one day when I'm in a hurry backing out. Still, it may be better to spend those dollars on the spray in liner and bed cover I have my eyes on.