Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:27 PM
t_lcohen
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock Advice

Good evening guys,

I am sure that this question has come up before but being fairly new here I thought I would ask anyways. I just purchased an '01 F150 Crew Cab and would like to replace the shocks. Can anyone please offer some advice on which shocks are the best out here. For example, Rancho's, Bilsteins, Pro-Comp, etc.

I am in construction and pull a trailer all the time with this vehicle as well as a 30' camping trailer. I do not do any off roading as such other than the const. sites I work on.

Thanks for any help I can get on this.

Tommy

Old 09-30-2006, 10:30 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
If it always has some weight in/on it, you can't go wrong with the Bilsteins. Some might find them a little firm for an unloaded vehicle (I don't, I think they're great).

Old 09-30-2006, 10:58 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm probably going to try the Rancho shocks when I replace mine.
I have also had good luck with Gabriel shocks.
You may also look into a coilover type shock if you carry a trailer all of the time.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:33 AM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cast my vote with LxMan1 on the Gabriel choice. Thats what we use on our fleet trucks.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:54 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
To each his own, in my experience: Gabriel=garbage.

Before I knew any better I'd installed about 6 sets between 3 vehicles (lifetime warr.). Don't remember the exact model, whatever the top-line pep-boys models were. Maybe they've gotten much better recently...

If you want OE style (it doesn't sound like you do), I would stick with a top-line Monroe. Not much experience with the Rancho other than my sister's old truck a few years ago. The right rear bushing desintigrated. They seemed OK. Some love them, some hate them. I researched the Procomps a while back for a friend, didn't really like what I read.

It's pretty rare that someone is displeased with the Bilsteins, especially if they give them a while to break-in and are using the vehicles as it was meant to be (ie. don't expect a reg. cab gas F350 with no load to ride like a Caddy). Sudden/sharp bumps/holes can be a bit harsher, but much of the ride is actually better IMO. Larger, but more gradual, bumps, especially on the HWY, are great (loaded or unloaded). Much more confidence inspiring, gets back on-center nicely (up/down and side-to-side). Never towed a 30 footer with it though...how much does that thing weigh?

Use Google and search this site, see what you come up with.

Make sure you do all 4 corners if you are changing to one of the high-pressure shocks, especially if coming from a worn-out OE. They react quite different and it can lead to an unbalanced feeling if you don't (I say this from experience).

Old 10-01-2006, 06:06 AM
t_lcohen
Freshman User
thanks for the advice "tdister". As for my camper; I am not exactly sure on the weight of it, but I would estimate somewhere around 6500#. Give or take. What are coilover shocks? Also, how about the self adjusting type of shocks? Are they worth the extra money for such, and are they a a pain in the butt to adjust or what? Or would you go with the higher end of auto adjusting ones?

Money is not too much a concern on this one, rather than ride comfort. Its a work truck but its a family ride a lot of the times around town here too.

Thanks to all for the words.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:44 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
I have the rancho rs 5000's and i can say they waaay better than the stock ones, I really wanted the blistiens but sometimes your wallet gets to decide for you.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:09 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
I assume LxMan1 was reffering to something like these: http://tinyurl.com/nslof

I almost put a similar set in my Dad's hi-top conversion van, ended up with some add-a-leafs as a more permanent solution (won't have to change the coil and shock each time). If it's sagging a lot, you might look at one of these options (or air bags). All the shock in the world won't help if the springs can't carry the load.

I'm a little confused on the "Auto" and "self" adjusting shocks you mentioned. To me, that's the same thing. I'll assume by "self adjusting" you mean you adjust them yourself? No experience here, you can get an in-cab adjustment system for something like the Rancho 9000 to adjust on-the-fly. Never appealed much to me, I'd just get an air-bag system instead. I've heard a few instances of the adjuster ***** seizing.

Auto adjusting, like the Edelbrock IAS, seem to be good if you use your truck mostly as a car (no load), if maybe a little short-lived. Again, no personal experience, just what I've read.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Also, realize tires can play a good part in the ride equation. I've got a good riding Mich. LTX on the F150. These are great combined with the Bilsteins, even though I keep them aired up a little on the high side (for MPG). I've set them a little lower (when empty) to experiment and it was better, but they're nowhere close to unacceptable as-is. It doesn't take a whole lot of weight to really smooth out the ride though. 4 (thin)people in the cab, maybe an ice-chest in combination with my toolbox and it is really nice (what I would consider a sport-luxury ride).

Good luck, and let us know.

edit: the link doesn't work, they are also known as 'overload shocks'. Prob. a few other names as well.

Last edited by tdister; 10-01-2006 at 01:36 PM.