6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Florida
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote start

Has anyone installed a remote starter in an manual transmission 6.0. I have an 06 6.0 with a manual transmission and am considering installing one. I am interested in what brands are the best along with what models. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2006, 05:26 PM
BarebackJD
Junior User
Make sure you check up on that carefully. Generally manual transmitions do not allow for remote starters, unless you have a clutch disconect button (toyota pickups have these) that allows the truck to start without the clutch being depressed. In this case, you would engage the button when you shut the truck off, set the parking brake, and leave the truck in nuetral. Then when you wanted to use the remote start, the truck will be in nuetral, and the clutch wouldn't need to be pushed in (if you don't put it in neutral, you'll hit the button and the truck will run away cause it's in gear-happend to my buddy on his toyota!). These buttons are not all that difficult to put in, but I havn't put one in mine so I can't give you specifics without calling my buddy. You'll still need to make sure the brand of starter will allow this application though. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:34 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go with AstroStart (www.astrostart.com) or CompuStar (www.compustar.com). Both are excellent units, have two-way paging systems, come standard with diesel features, and MOST importantly, they're both compatible with manual transmissions. Please, for the love of God, don't put a RS system that wasn't specifically designed, and states that it is, for a manual transmission by the manufacturer, in your truck.

Last edited by EnviroCon; 09-29-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:35 PM
LVEILLON
Elder User
Dangerous...I'm sure you already knew that. I know that DEI(Viper,Hornet) has two that will work. Also SCYTEK and Clifford make them. The Clifford has the Intellistart system and seems to be the best for installs on Manual transmissions. I would be very surprised if you could find an installer that would do the job, but you never know. The day I had my Viper 760 installed there was a guy that wanted remote start on his PSD 6spd but they flat turned him down. This dealer will do installs on the little cars with manual trans but only a certain few.

DEI pretty much owns every alarm made now and have an awesome lifetime warranty at any certified dealer. I've owned Clifford before also and had great luck with them. The Scytek seems to be fairly popular. You will have to probably call around and ask if they will take the job unless you are wanting to do this yourself. Some shops are even hesitant to do Diesels period because of the glow-plugs.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:59 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have installed an astrostart on several manuals (5 Litre stang, sunfire "dont ask"), enviro is right, go with an astro, get the correct model for your application, follow the testing instructions and you are good to go. Only real downside to RS is to do the preset procedure so the RS will work in a maual. Once you get used to it, its great. hey what can I say, up here in Canada, its COLD.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:20 AM
pamelbert
Senior User
It is easy to bypass the clutch at the switch, I highly do not recommend it by personal experience, had one on an F-150, I never left it in gear, but 2 times someone else was in the vehicle they left it in gear, first time reversed my truck into a fence, second time at the carwash I put my baby in the truck as I remote started it (car wash left it in first) it took off into a major street, I didn't even look to see if any cars were coming I just ran after it and hit the brake, I could have killed, myself and my baby. I will never install one in a manual, even though there is a neutral safety switch.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:21 PM
dscofever
Senior User
Originally Posted by pamelbert
It is easy to bypass the clutch at the switch, I highly do not recommend it by personal experience, had one on an F-150, I never left it in gear, but 2 times someone else was in the vehicle they left it in gear, first time reversed my truck into a fence, second time at the carwash I put my baby in the truck as I remote started it (car wash left it in first) it took off into a major street, I didn't even look to see if any cars were coming I just ran after it and hit the brake, I could have killed, myself and my baby. I will never install one in a manual, even though there is a neutral safety switch.
Amen...is convenience worth risking your and others safety?