6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Amsoil Diesel Oil - Is It Now API Certified???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Amsoil Diesel Oil - Is It Now API Certified???

Ok guys... cover my SIX!!!!

This thread is not being posted to start a debate on Amsoil, but I, for one, have been against it since it was not previously API certifed with CI4+ diesel ratings... but rather just inferred or claimed to be.

However, to be fair to Amsoil users, I searched this evening and found the following Amsoil PDF file for their diesel oil literarure and noticed that at the bottom (last page) they specifically call out and print "API CI4+" certification.

My question is.... is this new and has Amsoil decided to pay for and get API certification? Forget MLM schemes and other belief... all I want to discuss is if Amsoil is now API certified since they are specifically calling it out in their literature? Do they print it or the API sysmbol on their bottels (new or old)?

These two questions, to be fair and balanced (like FOX News), is what this thread is about.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g554.pdf

Old 09-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
According to the API website, Amsoil has only 1 diesel rated oil... which is their 15W-40 oil and it is only CI4 (no+)... asa their literature states in my post above?

Here is a link to the API website site for amsoil oils...

Click on link, enter amsoil name and look at API certified oils listed.

http://eolcs.api.org/

Wonder why the API website and list of diesel oils and their ratings is different than what Amsoil shows in their PDF file in post #1?

Wonder what their bottles read/show???

Old 09-28-2006, 11:22 PM
duffman77
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach, Great Link!!! I looked at the Amsoil site, and it is a + rated oil (so they claim). I think the ** on your link means +. What I dont understand is if they pay for certification, why dont they put the API donut on the bottle? For me that is the indication I would use as to whether or not to use it while still under warranty.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by duffman77
Beach, Great Link!!! I looked at the Amsoil site, and it is a + rated oil (so they claim). I think the ** on your link means +. What I dont understand is if they pay for certification, why dont they put the API donut on the bottle? For me that is the indication I would use as to whether or not to use it while still under warranty.
Agreed... that's why I am asking the question(s) that I have.... or is it some slick marketing on their part???

Do not know... and wanted to be fair as I have stayed away from Amsoil due to the lack of API certification.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 PM
t_b
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The following is from their website, which echos the data listed in the PDF you posted, but adds an important statement:

"AMSOIL Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil is recommended for use in diesel engines and other applications requiring any of the listed worldwide specifications and gasoline engines requiring API..."

They they go on to mention CI-4+ and a slew of other standards.

That statement doesn't mean that their oil is API certified - it merely suggests that if your motor needs CI-4+ oil, then they recommend (using their word) you use that particular oil that they make.

Sneaky little devils, aren't they? If they received API certification for all of their oils that aren't already, that news would be front and center on their website.

Did you notice the "409,000 miles without an oil change" blurb in the PDF?

Last edited by t_b; 09-28-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
A cut & paste from their PDF file shows the following...

Synthetic 15W-40 Heavy
Duty Diesel and Marine Oil
API CI-4+, CF, CF-2, SL. 12 TBN

Does this mean that it "IS" API certified or "MEETS" the API certification???

This is whay I am questioning.... but the API website does show the 15W-40 oil as being CI4 (no+)... so what about the other oils and why the "no +" after CI4????

Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why wait this long to spend the $$$ on CI-4 series? Why not jump to the CJ series and get it certified instead?

Old 09-29-2006, 05:59 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Beach Beach Beach

Old 09-29-2006, 07:03 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Agreed... that's why I am asking the question(s) that I have.... or is it some slick marketing on their part???

Do not know... and wanted to be fair as I have stayed away from Amsoil due to the lack of API certification.
It's called MLM deceit!!!!!! Continue to stay away from Amsoil!!!!!!!! The API site is correct!!!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by kw5413
Why wait this long to spend the $$$ on CI-4 series? Why not jump to the CJ series and get it certified instead?
Good question....

Mobil, Chevron and Rotella will have both oils available depending on a user's trucks needs and the money they want to spend. The new oil spec is ONLY for the MY 2008 motors... but is backwards compatiable.

Officially, API will not let any oil companies use the API starburst on retail sized containers until the 10/16/06 official start date... until then it is known as PC10.

I am surprised that Amsoil has not issued a press-release about any new oils or CJ4 oils.... becuase they probably will try and just buy it from someone else and re-package it tosave money (just my opinion) since they have nothing to offer new diesel users!!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
It's called MLM deceit!!!!!! Continue to stay away from Amsoil!!!!!!!! The API site is correct!!!!!
So far I agree with you 100% and will believe the API site before anything from Amsoil. They do not use the starburst on their bottles which makes me wonder, but I was surprised to see the CI4 spec listed... yet Amsoil states CI4+.... so I just wanted to ask the question.

For all reading this thread... this thread is NOT about the propertiesor if it is good or not... it is about what is the correct API rating (if at all)????

Old 09-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
.......since they have nothing to offer new diesel users!!!!
Just way over inflated prices, due to the MLM structure.........

Old 09-29-2006, 08:29 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not in the mood to deal with this today.