6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Price of diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:45 AM
rimshoes
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price of diesel

Just on observation. I realize that the new 15 ppm sulfur fuel will be out in Jan of 2007 and this will be the fuel available to burn for all diesels? However, if the price of diesel does not come down as the gasoline prices have, I think that fewer and fewer people will buy into the diesel option for thier "private" vehicles.

Also, I understand that the 6.4 diesel option will be damn near 50 percent more in price over the 6.0 counter part? Also, the 6.4 is STILL a navistar made engine with modifications to the heads of the 6.0. I understand that the '07 6.0 engines actually have moved to tooling changes for the heads to start production of the 6.4 engine in '07. Ford can not put the new engine into thier trucks until the 15 ppm fuel is available nationwide. So what is the big deal here, the 6.4 will be a modified 6.0 as I understand it? Navistar has a contract with Ford until 2012.

Remember when ford told Navistar to stick the V6 diesel designed for the 2005 F150 pickup in thier ear ? Now I hear that modified engine will be available for the 2008 year F150 ??? Oh, Ford is going to have to do better PR work. They damn near bankrupted themselves with the "employee pricing" in the summer of 2005 when I bought my trucks. They damn near bankrupted the individuals trying to sell thier old trucks to get new ones. I know, I was one of them. I had to trade in my '03 diesel becuase no one wanted the damn thing.

You will notice that Ford did not go along with "empoyee pricing" as Chrysler did. They know better and understand that the individuals will bear the cost of this program in the end. I for one have gone from telling Ford to go to hell and never buyong another vehicle form them to thinking about a new F150 with a diesel.

This time I will hold on to my two King Ranches. My wife loves her truck and I like mine. I hear that the dealers are discounting the '06 diesels by about 5,000 bucks. That is still not employee pricing with 3,000 bucks in incentives as in 2005. One more thing, I am not so sure of the body style and interior changes for 2007 super duties. I will have to see one, touch one and drive one to form an opionion.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:45 AM
captchas
from what i understand from reading "correct me if needed guys" the new fuel is here or must be by oct 1st this year with the new laws becomeing affective jan1st 07. price wise i see the same around my home in fact right now gas is $1.00 per gal. cheaper then the fuel oil. i ask the same ? as you why? with my wondering about heating oil costs this year will it also be high?

yes the 07 6.0 has been getting retooling mods to many areas of the block and heads and other parts. i can't remember them all but it is many more then you list. parts from the older 6.0 will not fit the 07, 6.0 it's a odd ball motor to be by it self on the main major parts lists.
ford this week at the texas state fair started showing the 08 due out in jan or feb next year as the 08 dosn't look that bad . they have rounded the nose a lot more. lowered the bumper and headlamps "the grill still states super duty ford" to keep in with the new bumper and headlamp height laws. it does show why many techs i know who have gone to schools for the truck state they will have to remove the cab for any major motor work. it looks more cab forward then the older models making it harder to work on.

i look foward to a test drive when they come out and wonder as you about people being able to eat the rummored 10k price of the motor. i know i can't afford it. but my 05 is paid for and still has low miles at 23k it's just breaking in. time is going to tell us all very soon.

Last edited by captchas; 09-28-2006 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:36 PM
rimshoes
Senior User
Personally I do not think the "new" look is all that bad. I am guessing that the headlight thing is a government issue mandate. My wife does not like the interior and believe me when I say this is a big deal. She has been driving Ford Crew Cabs for many years. She still remembers when chrysler got the cummins if ford could build a crew cab contract.
I will have to see and feel the interior before I decide. This interior thing may be a problem because the new F150s have basically the same interior and they are approaching the pulling capacity that many need. If they stick a diesel in them, this may be what people will go to and leave the SDs on the lots.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:55 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by captchas
from what i understand from reading "correct me if needed guys" the new fuel is here or must be by oct 1st this year with the new laws becomeing affective jan1st 07.
Follow the links for ULSD info:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...vron-faqs.html

Old 09-29-2006, 11:38 PM
elemint
Elder User
This is mind boggling to me. The current SD interiors are so lame I am supprised anyon would want to drive one. There is zero sense in that design. Big square switch plates stuck on an oval consoule. Yuck. Now the new one is nice. No perfect but at least it has symmetry
"My wife does not like the interior and believe me when I say this is a big deal."

Old 09-30-2006, 01:33 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by elemint
This is mind boggling to me. The current SD interiors are so lame I am supprised anyon would want to drive one. There is zero sense in that design. Big square switch plates stuck on an oval consoule. Yuck. Now the new one is nice. No perfect but at least it has symmetry
"My wife does not like the interior and believe me when I say this is a big deal."
Wow
So how do you really feel/

Hanklin

Old 09-30-2006, 01:33 PM
captchas
Originally Posted by kw5413
thank you keith. now i wonder how the 16 injectors and 2 pumps in my boat will handle this fuel? the mills are old 8v92 tia twin turbo dd's

Old 10-01-2006, 01:51 AM
rimshoes
Senior User
Originally Posted by elemint
Now the new one is nice. No perfect but at least it has symmetry.
She did not like the F150 interior either. Said no to a 2006 King Ranch F150. I was suprised until I found out that other women in the horse business did not like it either. I do not know about how your decisiions are made, but here (maybe unfortunately) no one is happy unless mama is happy. I think though that the best body style is still the 1999 through 2004. You could see over the damn hood !!

Old 10-01-2006, 10:23 AM
shdwlkr
Senior User
Here in NM I have able to get Ulsd for a few weeks now and the price on diesel in general is from $2.43 to 2.98 a gallon just depends if you want to look around or pull into the first station that has diesel.
As to using the ulsd in older engines just use a fuel additive like diesel kleen and change your fuel filters the first 2-3 at half the normal interval and you should be fine. The new fuel seems to do a really good job of cleaning every thing the tank, lines, injectors and so on.
As to the new 08's I think in a few years when the new truck is paid for the next one is going to be a F450 with all the toys and will also be my last truck do to my age. That will give me two diesels and will do all I need to get done with what is left of my life.
As to the new design is kind of grows on you the more you look at it. That dash is different but when the super duties first came out no one liked them either now everyone wants them. It would be nice to see more diesel powered vehicles to choose from and it would be nicer still to tell the Arabs we don't need their oil anymore and let the rest of the world deal with them. It would also be nice to see the truck and car companies build engines that got real mileage and reduce our need for oil totally.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:34 PM
photomac
Junior User
Diesel Fuel Price

Originally Posted by captchas
from what i understand from reading "correct me if needed guys" the new fuel is here or must be by oct 1st this year with the new laws becomeing affective jan1st 07. price wise i see the same around my home in fact right now gas is $1.00 per gal. cheaper then the fuel oil. i ask the same ? as you why? with my wondering about heating oil costs this year will it also be high?
I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE PAYING FOR DIESEL RIGHT NOW (Mid October), but I'm paying $2.35 to $2.45 for ULS Diesel in N.J. That's not tooo bad.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Century Coronado
Posting Guru
I'm paying $2.19.9 for ULSD here in the St. Louis, Missouri area.