General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Evaporative Cooler Cleaining

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:28 PM
boulderdentist
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evaporative Cooler Cleaining

I have drained, lubed, and am in the process of cleaning and covering an evaporative cooler for the winter. Any tips on cleaning the water reservoir of the inevitable calcium, crud build up? A wire brush seems harsh or metal scraper and will remove paint which should be recoated or will corrode in the future. I am past the warranty which warns against using any cleaners so would CLR or something similar work as a solvent?

Scott

Old 09-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
CLR will probably take the paint off too. I would hit it with a scotchbrite pad, and get the loose stuff off that might get into the system and clog it, but not overdo it. If you do scratch the paint in there, I would strip the tub completely, or as far as you can, scratch it up with some 400grit paper, and paint it with a high gloss paint, like high temp ceramic paint. That way, next year cleanup will be easier.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:08 PM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
You have essentially covered all the bases.

But here is a website from the University of Arizona about Swamp Cooler Maintenance.

For anyone else, here are some suggestions for winterizing :

Get rid of minerals in the bottom tray. Vinegar can be used to dissolve the buildup.

Clean out the tray at the bottom of the cooler. Drain the water and gently scrape it out.

Inspect the water trough for clogged holes, clean as necessary.

Thoroughly dry the tray and inspect it for signs of cracking.

Coat the entire tray with submarine sealer or another product to prevent rust.

To prevent freezing of the cooler's water line, disconnect the water line from the cooler and blow out the water.

Cover your cooler to protect it and to keep cold air out of your house.
There, you have it.

Yeah, we use them too.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:35 PM
nmford
Senior User
I put 2 zinc grounding rods in mine at start up. We have very hard water down here in NM. I usally have to replace pads and pump midseason. This year it has made it all the way trough. Not much cleanup. Lot of mineral build up on the rods.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:07 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are specialty evaporative cooler cleaners out there that are pretty good. I think the chemistry is ammoniated citric acid. Just follow the directions.

Another thing to consider is keeping the crud buildup to a minimum while in operation. I found a blowdown pump that drains the water every 8 hours from the sump; it has kept my swamp cooler very clean for the last 3 years. And we have water that's as hard as the back of your head around here.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:16 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
I work in a cement plant. You can imagine what cement dust would do to a swamp cooler. Every month or two we have to take it down, replace the pads (solid cement slab by this time), and use acid with a pressure washer. That zinc grounding rod sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try it in my home swamp cooler next year.