1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F100 One Piece Window Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:42 PM
ZZMAXX25
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1956 F100 One Piece Window Kit

I just received a one piece Window Kit for my 56 f100 which is a little light on instructions. Most of the project is self explanatory but I have a question for anyone who has successfully installed a kit in a 1956. The door has been prepared for the install with the vent window support flange removed. A new channel steel piece that comes with the kit is to be installed in the front of the door to support the U channel weatherstrip and glass. It comes with an L mounting bracket for the bottom of the channel but there are no instructions for mounting this channel on the top. I have read that the outer mirror mounting hole must be drilled to remove the welded nut (which is in the way of the channel and window). There are no instructions as to how the channel is to be mounted in this top area. I have attached a website that has most of the instructions. Please let me know what any of you have done with your 1956 install.
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a...ce-Windows.htm
Thanks
Maxx

Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Although I have installed my solid side glass I haven't done it perminately yet, but to answer your question you have to apply some adhesive in the area where you drilled out the nut that held the outside mirror.

Edit; just read the date you posted this and I feel foolish for answering a question you likely have known the answer to for a long time now, oh well, it ups my post count. Sorry for the late response,lol

Old 02-19-2011, 10:27 AM
BBKtech2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a few tricks to installing those one piece kits, but the 56 is the easiest.
The nut for the mirror does have to come out, that's where the front of the channel wants to run. Drill it from the outside or I make a simple puller with a 7/8" deep socket, a 2" long 5/16x24 bolt and a couple of washers. From inside the door, place the socket over the nut, thread the bolt in and and finish with a ratchet. Keep tightening the bolt until it pulls the nut out. This works well on painted doors. Careful tapping with a small punch will work the edges back down where the nut came out.
Fit the fabric window channel to the piece of glass. Lay it on a table and form the channel all around the glass. Then install the channel in the door. This will get glued in with 3M weatherstrip adheisive.
DO NOT INSTALL THE WIPER FELTS UNTIL YOU HAVE PUT THE WINDOWS IN.
Don't get ahead of yourself. The one piece glass has to go into the door thru the top. Turn it on its side and lower in the door. Set it on some rags on the bottom of the door.
I have made a guide that helps me locate the position of the bottom mounting of the front channel brace that comes in the kit. I used thick paint sticks taped together that are the length of the width of the window. I then come up about 2" or so on the channel and drill for the supplied bracket. Mount the bracket to the channel. Slide the meatal channel over the fabric window channel and work it up until it touches the area where the nut was removed.
I find that if I measure 2 1/4" from the front door edge back, and an 1" up from the forward corner of the door access opening and drill a 1/4" hole that's a good place to start fitting the channel. I then use the paint stick guide stuck into the front and rear of the channel to find the channels needed mounting position.
The top of the metal channel I just let float. The fabric channel has great support as it passes thru the door area there, so its never going to move.
Make sure your door opening is wide enough for the new glass by sticking your fingers into the openings. You need to be able to get to your second knuckles thru out the opening or the window will be very tight. I've got normal, average finger size.
I put the channels and glass in then let the glass hang below the opening. Pull the channel down and glue it where the standoff are inside the door frame. Use a 2" piece of vacuum tube on the end off the adheisive to point it where you need it. Glue it to each standoff within the door frame. Lift back into position. Now install the wiper felts. Smash more of the ends ot the stainless beading that goes behind the fabric window channel to allow the felt to fit properly. I use a big flat blade screwdrver placed flat over each green mounting tab on the felts. Pull toward you to lock them in place. I use super glue on the front portion of the felts.
When done, roll the window up and let the glue dry.
The one piece kits work well with crank or power drives.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Between the CPP instructions and the post from BBKtech2 I think that you have gotten the install fairly well covered. What I would add is what I have taken from the Midfifty instruction sheet; after the felt channel has been installed, install the front channel run and where it touches the point where the mirror nut was removed...add a spot of silicone adhesive. I agree that the between the lower mounting bracket and the inherent strength of the felt channel, that the front channel run will be sufficiently supported...the silicone adhesive might help with the attachment of the top of the run but IMO it's more to eliminate the metal-to-metal rattling.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 PM
lorolr
Senior User
56 panel ford..Don't worry about the post date, thanks to you reviving the thread, I'm equipped to do my job coming up. BIG THANKS to BBKtech2 for the extra effort!!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:25 AM
ZZMAXX25
Freshman User
56 f100 one piece glass

Thanks for all the input. Although I bought my window kit and completed the rough in some time ago, before I began the body work, I will be installing the channels and glass this spring. I will send in some pictures when complete.
Frank

Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 AM
rzns60
Senior User
I am going to use a power kit, does that change any of the instructions?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Not really, just follow the instructions for the kit you purchase. I used the kit from EZwire, very simple to install.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
BBKtech2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL!!!
That is too funny!! Sorry ZZMAXX!! I never even looked at your post date!! Ha Ha!!
Hopefully the info will help everybody who needs it anyway!!