Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating Fuel Tank

Old 08-20-1999, 07:57 PM
Kikker
Freshman User
Relocating Fuel Tank

I sure would like to get rid of the fuel tank behind the seat of my 65 f100. But only if I can
find a tank that will mount on the frame towards the rear. I don't want a bed mounted tank.
Has anyone had any experience making this type of
conversion? I'm slowly restoring this truck and would like to make this change before the body and paint work starts.

Old 08-22-1999, 11:21 AM
Charles
Junior User
Relocating Fuel Tank

My '65 F-350 has the same problem. If you find a tank, please let me know or post it here? Thanks!

Old 08-23-1999, 01:44 PM
ole65
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Relocating Fuel Tank

If you sift back thru the old messages, you will find this discussed previously. To those messages, I would like to report that I have seen a 65 with a rear tank strapped under the bed behind the rear axle. It had a side fill but the filler pipe intruded into the styleside box interior; the owner built a sheet metal box to enclose the pipe. The filler pipe protruded thru the exterior wall as opposed to having a door. Unfortunately, I could not locate the owner to find what tank was used in the conversion.

Old 08-23-1999, 02:57 PM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
Relocating Fuel Tank

Try: <a href="http://www.transferflow.com">http://www.transferflow.com</a>

Old 01-17-2001, 06:38 PM
skip4274
Senior User
Relocating Fuel Tank

Once again, all you have to do is go to the tech articles here and they have the answer; putting a tank in a 195*?, pictures and all. You might want to use a different tank than they describe, because of mounting the filler neck up through the floor of the bed, but there are probably hundreds of different setups you could use.
BTY, if you want to go with the Mustang tank described, all of them are 16 gallon up through 1969 when they made a 19 gal. tank, and in 1970 they made a 22 gal. tank. The basic measurements are all the same. The bigger ones are just deeper.
Autometer and others make a fuel gauge that will accomidate the Mustang sending unit for about $30.00.
Skip4274
4everFord

Old 05-17-2015, 08:19 PM
millerdude
Freshman User
Anyone ever set an auxiliary tank from a '67-'72 inside the frame, between the frame & drive shaft, or maybe found another tank to fit mid-ship into a 61-66?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:38 PM
gmriser
New User
Fuel tank relocation.

The 1984 Bronco had a 23 gallon tank that will mount between the frame rails, behind the rear axle. Look up the tank's dimensions and do some measuring.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:30 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
As noted, topic has come up on number of occasions. Posting a link originally out of Classic Truck, which apparently has been purchased by Hot Rod?? The second link is from the FTE ' article' forum may find helpful info.

Installing a Mustang Gas Tank - Tech Articles - Classic Trucks Magazine

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/e...cation&type=wp

Old 05-18-2015, 12:13 PM
svolpone
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
posted something stupid. edited out of existence (I hope).

Old 05-18-2015, 12:26 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There's multiple ways you can go if you want to convert to a under the bed type of gas tank. Some of them the filler will need to be located inside the bed whether it be on the floor or up half way under the bed rail. The mustang tanks are the most popular it seems I have one under my 66 crews bed. If space isn't a concern I'd opt for the 22 gallon tank over the 19 gallon. Also scout tanks suburban and bronco II tanks have all been used before by others doing the tank swap. You could also find a fuel cell with the right dimensions depending if you want to go that route.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Funny the difference in response between this forum and a Bow Tie forum I frequent for another project I've got going.
Over there, if you mention putting the tank under the frame behind the back axle they comment on how you're building a Pinto.
I just got all new rubber for the fuel line and the filler neck and left the tank where it was. I think LMC sells an under bed tank, but the filler probably comes up through the bed floor.

You'd have to get hit pretty dang hard to damage a tank mounted in the cab.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:51 PM
millerdude
Freshman User
"...a Pinto",...I like it! I just wanna have some room in the cab for stuff like the girlfriend's purse, or whatever I might not wanna put in the bed if I'm out running around. Relocating the tank, and perhaps a larger tank at that, would be nice once it's all set up.
Planning on some nice heated leather bucket seats at some point too, but that's another story.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
I just kept my mouth shut. I've built 3 trucks with the under bed tanks for people who wanted them that way, and my wife drives a '54 Chevy panel with a tank under the back of the truck(although that'll get put back stock one of these days).

Using a Mustang tank, what do you do with the filler neck? A 90* tube and straight out the back, or in the bottom of the bed like the aftermarket tanks?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:25 PM
millerdude
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
I just kept my mouth shut. I've built 3 trucks with the under bed tanks for people who wanted them that way, and my wife drives a '54 Chevy panel with a tank under the back of the truck(although that'll get put back stock one of these days).

Using a Mustang tank, what do you do with the filler neck? A 90* tube and straight out the back, or in the bottom of the bed like the aftermarket tanks?
..if it's me you're asking, I don't wanna use the mustang/Pinto style; I'm looking to set it between the frame & driveshaft.

Quick Reply: Relocating Fuel Tank